PDA

View Full Version : Auto Body apprentice Helpp!

*prettyboy*
10-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Im currently an auto tech apprentice and im looking into
autobody.
Do any of you know the difference between prepper,refinisher and Repairer,
and any shops in N.e/N.w that might take 1st years ? I live up in the Coventry hills area (far north)

I need help.. !

HHURICANE1
10-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Virtually every shop in the city is looking for people right now. Just ask around at any shop and you I am sure you will get the answers you need. There is a HUGE demand for techs right now. The wash bay guy where I work is doing some body work with almost zero experience.

92probe
10-06-2007, 01:02 AM
Preppers do all the masking and basically prep work for a car to be primmed and painted, they do some primming depending on the shop, and sanding primer before it goes to paint, a refinisher is the guy who lays on the base and clear, aka the painter and repairers are the guys who pull dents, replace panels, all that fun stuff that the others dont do, i did the autobody thing, wasnt for me, i think i just got stuck in a shitty shop with a shady owner that would do anything to make a buck, but i have alot of friends from school who still do it, its long days and if the shops not running up to code it'll do a number on your lungs and health, so look for a good shop, and you will be ok

TomcoPDR
10-06-2007, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by 92probe
Preppers do all the masking and basically prep work for a car to be primmed and painted, they do some primming depending on the shop, and sanding primer before it goes to paint, a refinisher is the guy who lays on the base and clear, aka the painter and repairers are the guys who pull dents, replace panels, all that fun stuff that the others dont do, i did the autobody thing, wasnt for me, i think i just got stuck in a shitty shop with a shady owner that would do anything to make a buck, but i have alot of friends from school who still do it, its long days and if the shops not running up to code it'll do a number on your lungs and health, so look for a good shop, and you will be ok

X2, I couldn't stand bodyshop work, just the shop itself will always be dusty, no matter what jobs you do, your hands will always be chalky.

In layman's terms, IMO: Repairer (bodymen) get all the respect, painters get all the glory and preppers are the un-sung heros doing the bitch work.

Anyways, if you want to start without any experience or high school classes maybe try being a bodyshop detailer; you'll learn a lot from the painters, preppers most of them want their work to be delivered in good shape so they're always chillin' with the detailers and willing to offer advice.

*prettyboy*
10-11-2007, 09:12 PM
thanks guys for the help=]

LEB MAFIA
10-11-2007, 09:26 PM
I need someone to do some body work on my 300zx needs too be cheap and not ugly job

G-ZUS
10-11-2007, 09:33 PM
^ Cheap and good don't go together, a cheap job will show, rust me i know from experience, get it done right!

Proboscis
10-14-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

X2, I couldn't stand bodyshop work, just the shop itself will always be dusty, no matter what jobs you do, your hands will always be chalky.

In layman's terms, IMO: Repairer (bodymen) get all the respect, painters get all the glory and preppers are the un-sung heros doing the bitch work.

Anyways, if you want to start without any experience or high school classes maybe try being a bodyshop detailer; you'll learn a lot from the painters, preppers most of them want their work to be delivered in good shape so they're always chillin' with the detailers and willing to offer advice.

so true, the painter gets 60% and the prepper gets 40%. bodyman takes 100%

*prettyboy*
10-16-2007, 09:58 PM
i feel so worthless,
still at crappy tire doing parts and helping mechanics
no body shopp yet =[

gofastmerc
10-18-2007, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Proboscis

so true, the painter gets 60% and the prepper gets 40%. bodyman takes 100%

Bodyman takes 100% because he does 100% of the the body work.

I'm pretty sure the split is 60% prepper/ 40% painter.

The split sucks on small jobs for the painter, works in his favor for big ones.

Everyone is looking for workers. Just go through the phone book, and send off a resume to every one in there. Then pick which job you want.

Call and ask for the mailling address and who to send a resume to.

I'm sure you would get a bunch phone calls by the end of a week.

Good luck!