PDA

View Full Version : Manual car rolled back causing accident

Isaiah
10-04-2007, 09:53 PM
My mom was at a light and her car rolled back about a foot and bumped a car behind hers. The lady behind her lost her mind and started screaming about an accident. I have heard that when driving, you need to leave sufficient "roll back" room for the car in front and if not it could be considered "following too close".

Does anyone know for certain and if so, where I could locate a copy of this law online? I have searched google with no success.

Thanks

InLoveWitRSX
10-04-2007, 09:54 PM
how bad was the damage?

Spoons
10-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah
My mom was at a light and her car rolled back about a foot and bumped a car behind hers. The lady behind her lost her mind and started screaming about an accident. I have heard that when driving, you need to leave sufficient "roll back" room for the car in front and if not it could be considered "following too close".

Does anyone know for certain and if so, where I could locate a copy of this law online? I have searched google with no success.

Thanks

Bullshit rule. People like to think it is true but it isn't. A good standard driver should not need "roll back" room. I never roll back, even on a hill. Also a foot is quite a bit of roll back, and if so a couple of inches TOPS. Maybe you should teach her how to drive standard better? :dunno:

Xtrema
10-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Common sense would tell me your mom is at fault.

The leaving space between car is just a suggestion, not a law.

calgarys_finest
10-04-2007, 10:01 PM
following too close is a infraction when it causes a accident. call a police office to make sure of the exact circumstances

Spoons
10-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Sorry I am a space case today. For some reason I was thinking a foot was a meter lol :confused:

Anyways, a foot isn't that much. If she has witnesses to that the other lady was too close, the lady behind her is at fault.

Although still, you shouldn't roll back at all. There is no specific law on it, but you shouldn't roll.

spikerS
10-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Spoons

Bullshit rule. People like to think it is true but it isn't. A good standard driver should not need "roll back" room. I never roll back, even on a hill. Also a foot is quite a bit of roll back, and if so a couple of inches TOPS. Maybe you should teach her how to drive standard better? :dunno:

well la-te-da, aren't you the shit.

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE MAN THAT CAN PLAY WITH HIS STICK LIKE NO ONE CAN!

If you stop too close to a car in front of you, and the car in front is a standard, and rolls back and hits the car behind, the person following is in the wrong. Now rolling back 4 feet is an extreme distance, and to most seasoned standard drivers, even a foot can seem extensive, but not un-reasonable. remember if a car is a foot off your bumper, you aren't going to see his headlights, hood, and probably only the driver's head!

*edit* i see you changed your mind, but i am not sorry. lol

jibber
10-04-2007, 10:13 PM
I really don't like to harp on someone's mom, but....

Does she even know where the handbrake is? And what it's for?

I think if you have a clutch pedal, you should learn to use the handbrake to stop yourself from rolling backwards immediately after you learn how to drive a standard transmission. I know from my experience when I learned to drive a stick, I hated starting uphill because I didn't want to roll back into the car behind me, or stall it by getting anxious.

I thank my uncle for teaching me how to properly use the handbrake.

Hell, I still do it to this day in my smart, even though it doesn't have a clutch pedal. But it still has a dry clutch automated manual transmission, so in 1st gear on a hill if I let go of the foot brake, I will roll downhill until I push on the throttle pedal. But I digress...

The handbrake is not only used to stop the car from rolling away when you park it. IMO, the transmission should be used for that.

Spoons
10-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by spikers

well la-te-da, aren't you the shit.

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE MAN THAT CAN PLAY WITH HIS STICK LIKE NO ONE CAN!

*edit* i see you changed your mind, but i am not sorry. lol

:rofl: :rofl:
Well yeah of course I can play with my stick better than anyone. You ever had a hand job from a girl? Better just to do it yourself. Like I always say, if you can do it yourself, theres no sense in someone else.

Oh shit wait what are we talking about again? Stick shift?

avow
10-04-2007, 10:21 PM

Well yeah of course I can play with my stick better than anyone. You ever had a hand job from a girl? Better just to do it yourself. Like I always say, if you can do it yourself, theres no sense in someone else.

this is going to get good...

http://www.theforumsite.com/images/smilies/popcorn4jj.gif

frozenrice
10-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Sorry I am a space case today. For some reason I was thinking a foot was a meter

haha, wishful thinking.........

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-04-2007, 11:13 PM
No evidence, but I heard a rumor that technically, if they roll back and you don't leave a whole damn car length, it's your fault... Rumor though. Personally if someone starts edging up to me, I roll back and forth a lil... letting them know I'm in a std and getting uncomfortable... I *can* go uphill without rolling back... but better safe than sorry... I'd call the cops and ask their ruling on this one.

ninjak84
10-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
No evidence, but I heard a rumor that technically, if they roll back and you don't leave a whole damn car length, it's your fault... Rumor though.

LOL

^^This is why you don't ever post up threads asking for advice on beyond.

Here, let me clarify the law for everyone.

SECTION 122.9471, Paragraph 3
The vehicle behind a standard car rolling backwards is at fault only if he has a hamster riding shotgun, and happens to be smoking a cigar (not allowed to be Cuban). The opposite is true if the rolling vehicle is a 2 door, 5 cylinder car. HOWEVER, fault is to be determined by a court of law if either party owns an elephant, giraffe, budgee, camel, cat, or pet pig that WAS NOT captured with the owners bare hands.

That ought to bring clarity to the issue

infected
10-04-2007, 11:32 PM
How bad can rolling back into someone be?
No damage? No witness? Free game.

Russo
10-04-2007, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

Thanks
man, in russia/ukrain u wont even get ur lisence if u roll 1 cm back...

GTS Jeff
10-04-2007, 11:51 PM
Haha this whole thing could have been avoided had your mom not sucked at driving.

Aleks
10-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Hill Assist :poosie:

Does anyone actually know what the rule is on this?

Russo
10-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
Hill Assist :poosie:

Does anyone actually know what the rule is on this?
haha probably not :D but really how much damage could there be!?

2EFNFAST
10-05-2007, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by JDMSupraTT

I think if you have a clutch pedal, you should learn to use the handbrake to stop yourself from rolling backwards immediately after you learn how to drive a standard transmission. I know from my experience when I learned to drive a stick, I hated starting uphill because I didn't want to roll back into the car behind me, or stall it by getting anxious.

Hell, I still do it to this day in my smart, even though it doesn't have a clutch pedal. But it still has a dry clutch automated manual transmission, so in 1st gear on a hill if I let go of the foot brake, I will roll downhill until I push on the throttle pedal. But I digress...

The handbrake is not only used to stop the car from rolling away when you park it. IMO, the transmission should be used for that.

You have to be a pretty bad driver to need to use the handbrake on a hill. What's so hard about:

1) Clutch in, brake down

2) When traffic is about to move, let the clutch out to almost the engagement point

3) Traffic moves, clutch to the engagement point and give it some gas

4) Slowly let off clutch

:dunno:

97'Scort
10-05-2007, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Russo

man, in russia/ukrain u wont even get ur lisence if u roll 1 cm back...

Back in Russia, car drive you!

jibber
10-05-2007, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by ninjak84
^^This is why you don't ever post up threads asking for advice on beyond.

True dat. Look what happened to Redlyne_mr2 when he asked for advice on where to get a freakin Hallowe'en costume...

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/192606/looking-for-the-navy-pilot-uniform-white-shirt-white-pants-where-in-town/

Freakin hilarious, but no help at all to the OP

Kinda like this post... :D

But seriously, phone the police station. I have searched through government websites for 1 hour looking for a rule pertaining to this thread, but to no avail.

jibber
10-05-2007, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

You have to be a pretty bad driver to need to use the handbrake on a hill. What's so hard about:

1) Clutch in, brake down

2) When traffic is about to move, let the clutch out to almost the engagement point

3) Traffic moves, clutch to the engagement point and give it some gas

4) Slowly let off clutch

:dunno:

Fair enough.

FWIW, I got used to using the handbrake to hold my car still while the marshall was counting down to zero at the stage start of a pro rally a few years back. This allowed me to hold the revs up while he was counting down, with the clutch just nipping at the flywheel, so the moment his hand dropped, I'm off.

Go watch a WRC video and you might see this techinque being used to load up the car so that it takes off like a shot.

2EFNFAST
10-05-2007, 12:38 AM

Fair enough.

FWIW, I got used to using the handbrake to hold my car still while the marshall was counting down to zero at the stage start of a pro rally a few years back. This allowed me to hold the revs up while he was counting down, with the clutch just nipping at the flywheel, so the moment his hand dropped, I'm off.

Go watch a WRC video and you might see this techinque being used to load up the car so that it takes off like a shot.

Interesting - I've seen the technique before, but it's just never really made much sense to me to do it that way.

Moe Man
10-05-2007, 12:44 AM
tell her to drive something with a big engine, then she can just let the clutch out and away you go.

HP= causes roll back

Torque= anti-roll back

:thumbsup:

Isaiah
10-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied. Let me just add for clarity:

1) My mom does not suck at driving, she's been driving standard vehicles for most of her life and this is the first time this has happened.

2) There was no visible damage whatsoever to either vehicle as she may have been traveling at 1-2 km/hr at most.

3) She needs to get back to her insurance company right away as the lady in the other vehicle has filed a claim.

JDMSupraTT: I've never heard of applying the hand brake at a light. I've stopped on some fairly steep inclines and have never done that. Having said that, nobody's perfect and she just happened to roll back a little bit.

Spikers: Do you have a source for your information by chance? If possible, I would like a reference when she is addressing her insurance co.

Thanks

icecreamvan
10-05-2007, 10:11 AM
What's the other lady claiming for if there is no visible damage?
I hate people like that.

Who's to say that the other vehicle did not move up towards your mom's car? ;)

Lex350
10-05-2007, 10:15 AM

:werd:

people just don't know how to drive a standard. There is no excuse for rolling back.

mikestypes
10-05-2007, 10:17 AM

YIKES, do not do this! If you are using the transmission to keep a car parked, you are really using the UNLUBRICATED engine to hold the car back. That means that your very sensitive bearings are now working with no oil pressure!

The handbrake should be used to hold the car parked and you can leave it in gear as a backup to the brake, but do not load the tranny before applying the brake.

Also, the other reason to hold the ebrake while launching is to preload the transmission. This prevents the gear teeth from smashing into each other at the launch and will help a tranny last much longer when racing. The shock loading is what kills gears.

mikestypes
10-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by icecreamvan
Who's to say that the other vehicle did not move up towards your mom's car? ;)

My Mom had this happen to her! The dickhead stopped half way into the intersection and proceeded to back up into my Mom. he was all fine about it and admitting fault at the time, so my Mom had no worries, but he then filed a report stating that my Mom rearended him! There was nothing we could do without a witness.

icecreamvan
10-05-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by mikestypes

My Mom had this happen to her! The dickhead stopped half way into the intersection and proceeded to back up into my Mom. he was all fine about it and admitting fault at the time, so my Mom had no worries, but he then filed a report stating that my Mom rearended him! There was nothing we could do without a witness.

I hate people who try to scam honest people. To be clear, I only presented that scenario because the lady filed claims when there was no visible damage on a collision at 1-2km/hr.

I had these two girls back up on me in a parking lot even after I honked them. I had witnesses and everything, but since it was probably 5km/hr and only a few small scrapes from the license plate holder, I left a message saying that I'm not going to do anything. The biotches didn't even call back to say thanks.

em2ab
10-05-2007, 11:03 AM
No evidence, but I heard a rumor that technically, if they roll back and you don't leave a whole damn car length, it's your fault... Rumor though. Personally if someone starts edging up to me, I roll back and forth a lil... letting them know I'm in a std and getting uncomfortable... I *can* go uphill without rolling back... but better safe than sorry... I'd call the cops and ask their ruling on this one.

I do the same. And if someone is too close to me at a light I'll put it into reverse and leave it there for the duration of the light.

SilverGS
10-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Not sure about a law but common sense would denote this other lady is crazy. Who gives 1 foot of room even at a light? Thats pretty damn close.

Knowing that there are a lot of not so good drivers in standard cars out there i always leave a meter or two just in case. I have a few experiences where they have rolled back a couple feet just because they were not paying attention

I do believe there is a safe distance stopping zone though. What if someone rear ended that lady and she is only a foot from the car in front of her. She would be at fault for being stopped to close

cmodem
10-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by icecreamvan

I hate people who try to scam honest people. To be clear, I only presented that scenario because the lady filed claims when there was no visible damage on a collision at 1-2km/hr.

I had these two girls back up on me in a parking lot even after I honked them. I had witnesses and everything, but since it was probably 5km/hr and only a few small scrapes from the license plate holder, I left a message saying that I'm not going to do anything. The biotches didn't even call back to say thanks.

Thanks eh... har har har rawr! hubba hubba is that what you mean lol

Z_Fan
10-05-2007, 12:09 PM
I figure the other lady is at fault, not your Mom. Following too closely.

Either way, no insurance company is going to pay a cent towards this frivilous BS of a case. Your Mom has nothing to worry about.

infected
10-05-2007, 02:13 PM
The other lady is just being a bitch. Some people have too much time on their hands.

SunniSunShine
10-05-2007, 02:23 PM

are you serious?.. youde prefer to play with yourself than a woman play with you?.. theres a certain element of suprise when she does it, therefore making it more erotic, i guess you've never had one because you are too busy on automatic rub n tug

bituerbo
10-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Other lady probably did not get a witness, have your mom tell the ins. co that someone lightly nudged her at a light as she was leaving the green.

She thought it was a road rager so she was afraid to get out of her car and left the scene. She didn't see any damage after checking so she didn't file a report w/ the police. (because she knows $1000 minimum in dmg to file a report).

Unless she gave her insurance information to the other lady in which case she blows the story. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have stopped - it was the old cunts fault for being that close anyways. Not admitting to anything on a public forum buy I may have done this once or twice to a tailgater or two when I had my std. beater.

katana9x4
10-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
I figure the other lady is at fault, not your Mom. Following too closely.

Either way, no insurance company is going to pay a cent towards this frivilous BS of a case. Your Mom has nothing to worry about.

:werd:

most logical thing i've read in this post so far

Moe Man
10-05-2007, 05:20 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bituerbo
[B]Other lady probably did not get a witness, have your mom tell the ins. co that someone lightly nudged her at a light as she was leaving the green.

She thought it was a road rager so she was afraid to get out of her car and left the scene. She didn't see any damage after checking so she didn't file a report w/ the police. (because she knows $1000 minimum in dmg to file a report).

its 1500 :thumbsup:

b_t
10-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Back in the day my buddy rolled back at a light in his truck and put a hole in someone's bumper with his trailer hitch. It was his fault.

mark4091
10-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Yes it is a bullshit rule!

BUT you are supposed to leave a good metre's room at a light, even though nobody seems to do it you could still use that against the lady that was parked too close.

Even though I never roll back more than like an inch at max, it's still pretty damn annoying have drivers in automatics pull right up on you.

inline6turbo
10-05-2007, 07:51 PM
OK i just scrolled through all the useless bullshit that spams every thread, so i'm sorry if this has been said.

The person behind is at fault if the distance was less then a meter. That's the rule. You are allocated roll back room and emergency space. Ie: If you are stopped to close to a car at a light, and you are rear ended (speeds are considered here) and you rear end the car in front of you because you are to close, you are charged with rear ending the guy. This of course doesn't include if the guy rear ends you going like 100kph. So it's not total bullshit.

The Cosworth
10-05-2007, 08:06 PM

This is what I do

but sorry I am no help