PDA

View Full Version : storing a car

anhthanh
10-05-2007, 01:55 AM
my car is gonna be going in for winter storage soon. now wat do i need to do before i put it away??

here my list so far

- Oil change
- detail car
- fill up the tank + fuel stabilizer ( wat barnd is teh best ) ??
- pull out battery and place it on a piece of wood

also teh car gonna be store in my garage and some people are saying start up the car every 3 days for 30 mins some people are saying don't actually start it up periodically until you are actually going to drive it.

now which one is better to do ???

GTS Jeff
10-05-2007, 02:01 AM
Change all the fluids, clean car, fill up gas (don't bother with the stabilizer crap,) and throw on a good car cover.

Take it out for an uninsured rip around the neighbourhood once a month or so, whenever you just need to do it and the weather's nice.

95EagleAWD
10-05-2007, 02:44 AM
Don't start it. Doesn't do a damn thing. Mine sat for 6 months, put the battery back in and it fired first crank and ran fine.

4doorj
10-05-2007, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
Don't start it. Doesn't do a damn thing. Mine sat for 6 months, put the battery back in and it fired first crank and ran fine.
thats what i did..
cleaned it, filled up the tank, put in fuel stabilizer, took out the battery and left it till spring
started up perfectly

BokCh0y
10-05-2007, 08:26 AM
This is what I used to do when i had my MR2:

Fill it full of gas and toss in fuel stabilizer - good idea if the car is going to be sitting for an extended period of time, 2-3months +. Make sure you fill it right up. Reason for this is condensation build up in the tank if it's not full and the possiblity it could cause rust in the tank.

Change oil and all applicable fluids if possible.

Disconnect battery, no real need to take it out and huck it on a piece of wood, leaving it in disconnected does the same thing.

I was told to put papertowels under the wiper blades so they don't stick on the glass. I did this but whether it made a difference or not.....not sure.

If it's a manaul transmission, then leave it out of gear and leave the e-brake down. Stuff a block of wood under the tires so the car doesn't roll. If it's an automatic, then just leave the e-brake down but leave the car in Park. If you leave the e-brake on for an extended period of time, it may seize on the rear brakes or stretch the e-brake cable. Good idea in my opinion.

Obviously clean and detail the car. Take it to a wand wash and use the foam brush and wash underneath the car (good scrub) and make sure you also clean the wheel wells really good too.

Stuff your exhaust with an old t-shirt or something. This is too keep rodents from somehow getting into your exhaust and building a nice nest in places they shouldn't be.

And finally, toss a good car cover on it if you can.

As for starting it, I started mine once every 3-4 weeks and let it run for about 10-15 minutes or until the temperature needle starts to move. Don't worry about driving it around, if you really want to then just pull it in and out of the garage. If you drive it around the block....you'll probably attract the left over salt and whatever is on the road to your rear end, wheel wells and underneath the car. The reason I started mine up was to keep the seals lubicated. You don't really have to I guess....but I thought it was a good idea.

Come time to pull the car outta storage, run the gas right down as low as you can and then fill'er up full again. Might have to change the oil again but that's personal preference.

eblend
10-05-2007, 08:32 AM
I don't know how important this is, but when I stored my car, I jacked her up on jackstands, that way the tires would not flat spot. The whole car just hang on 4 jackstands the whole winter.

4doorj
10-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by eblend
I don't know how important this is, but when I stored my car, I jacked her up on jackstands, that way the tires would not flat spot. The whole car just hang on 4 jackstands the whole winter.
i heard that is bad for your car
i thing bad for your frame or something

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Apparently leaving it on jackstands will warp the frame... I would just make sure the tire pressure is correct and maybe roll it back and forth a few inches every few weeks or so.

BokCh0y
10-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by eblend

Heard this is only something you do if you're storing your car for like years to avoid the flat spots.

I stored my MR2 for basically 8 months and didn't have any issues with flat spots, especially if you move the car in and outta the garage.

Ashers
10-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Another tip, if possible, set your heating control to "Recirculate". Tis will seal your interior from the exterior, and you won't get any little rodents setting up shop inside your interior. As for starting the engine, don't do it unless you are going to leave it rnning until it reaches operating temperature and continues running for a few minutes. If you just start it for a few minutes, you mix condensation with the oil, and it isn't hot enough to burn it off. So all these lovely contaminates and water mix in the oil, don't burn off, and create acid just waiting to eat your bearings. Also, storing it on jackstands... frame isn't usually a good idea, as the frame can warp, and it leaves your suspension in a unnatural position, damaging it. You could always place the jacktands under the control arms where they meet the knuckle...

Ashley

Tik-Tok
10-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

Stuff your exhaust with an old t-shirt or something. This is too keep rodents from somehow getting into your exhaust and building a nice nest in places they shouldn't be.

T-shirts = a perfect attractant for rodents to use it as material for a nest.

Use tinfoil instead.

Originally posted by GTS Jeff

Take it out for an uninsured rip around the neighbourhood once a month or so, whenever you just need to do it and the weather's nice.

Or just call your insurance company to put 1 day insurance on it, I know many will do this for free (assuming you have a different car still insured with them)

anhthanh
10-05-2007, 04:50 PM
thnaks for all teh help guys.

BokCh0y
10-05-2007, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

T-shirts = a perfect attractant for rodents to use it as material for a nest.

Use tinfoil instead.

Or just call your insurance company to put 1 day insurance on it, I know many will do this for free (assuming you have a different car still insured with them)

Steel wool is just as good. Didn't know about the T-shirt being a rodent attractor. But thanks for the 411 :D

95EagleAWD
10-05-2007, 08:27 PM
I just stuck a hockey puck in both exhaust pipes....

Toms-SC
10-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Why on earth would you change all of your fluids for storage? Ultra waste of money.

inline6turbo
10-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Why on earth would you change all of your fluids for storage? Ultra waste of money.

Perhaps if the coolant isnt good and it gets below freezing for an extended amount of time, water expands/corrodes/fucks shit up? Same is brake fluid, water is extremely bad for the rubber components. :dunno:

But if this stuff has all been done in the last 6 months prior to the storage, no need to do it again.

*Edit*

Ok if you're going to be storing it here's what you do. (this I just copied and pasted because i'm to lazy to type all this out.)

1. Probably the easiest way to store a car is to not store it at all. If you think you can drive your car (not idle it in the garage) at least once every 4 weeks for a minimum of 30 minutes at a time, then you and your car are better off without the deep storage routine. But for those who live in really severe winter climes, those with two homes etc., storage is the only option. What follows is sort of a punch list of tasks to perform:

2. Warm car up fully. On your drive, go to the auto parts store and get a quart can of Marvel Mystery Oil. Pour almost the whole can in the gas tank (save about 4-6 tablespoons for later), and then fill the tank up completely with fuel. The Marvel Mystery Oil will act as an upper cylinder lubricant.

3. Change engine oil and filter. Owners of Spica injected cars, don't forget the injection pump oil filter too.

4. Drain/flush cooling system. Ensure that the heater valve is open. Refill cooling system with a 50/50 mixture of fresh antifreeze and distilled water.

5. Top up trans/differential/steering box. Transmission and differential oil should be changed every 30,000 miles; now is the time if that service is due. We recommend you use the correct Spirax or Redline oil.

6. Top off brake fluid. Braking system should be flushed and bled with new fluid every 2 years; do so now if it is time.

7. Wash and wax paint and brightwork. Thoroughly clean inside of car.

8. Remove battery and clean battery and battery case with a solution of baking soda and water to neutralize acid. Take battery inside and place on an automatic trickle charger like our Battery Tender or Ctek.

9. Push (or temporarily reinstall battery and drive) car into storage area which hopefully is indoors. If you are storing the car in an area with an earth or gravel floor, lay a big piece of plastic down first, then drive the car onto that. The plastic sheet will provide a vapor barrier and help keep the car from rusting.

10. Raise the car on jackstands. Place the jackstands under the various suspension components so that the suspension is compressed and at normal ride height. We've found that fully extended shocks tend to get stuck in that position, hence the last instruction. If space is tight in your garage, you can rest the car on a set of Auto Dollies, so you can move it easily into a corner.

11. Remember that 4-6 tablespoon of Marvel Mystery Oil we held in reserve? Now comes the time to use it. Pull the spark plugs out of the engine, pour a tablespoon of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder, and turn the engine over by hand several revolutions in order to spread the Marvel Mystery Oil around the cylinder walls. Reinstall spark plugs.

12. Slip a plastic baggie over the exhaust tip(s) and snap a rubber band around it to hold it on/closed. Do the same to the air cleaner inlet. This will help keep moisture out of the engine.

13. Place a couple of mothballs in the trunk, the interior, and the engine compartment. Hopefully this will dissuade little furry creatures from building nests. Consider a set of inexpensive Door Ding Protectors that adhere to the sides of your car with suction cups. Then fit a quality car cover, preferably from IAP! An even better solution is to cocoon the car and cover in a Car Pocket. If the car is being stored indoors, crack the windows about 3/8".

14. Finally, if possible, rotate the drive axles a few turns once a month. This will help to keep the differential gears and transmission mainshaft and countershaft coated with oil.

b18cr
10-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

shouldn't it be done before pulling it out, its like.. putting in all brand new fluids and jus leavin them there to sit. and get old.. especially oil. i dont see the point in the whole oil change, re-new all fluids and fill up tank. its just gonna sit.

id rather do it the day i wanna pul it all out, that way i would know this is all fresh new fluids. and htey havent been sittin in my car all winter, same with the gas.

i duno :dunno: maybe its just me

xrayvsn
10-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Change all the fluids, clean car, fill up gas (don't bother with the stabilizer crap,) and throw on a good car cover.

Where do you get the car cover? Are they typically customized for each individual car?

SilverBoost
10-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Stored mine back east.... locked it in a storage garage with a full tank and disconnected the battery. That's it. Started a few times over the 4 months it was away. Pulled it out in april and that was it.

Here in Calgary I keep it insured all year and I'll def be out driving it when we get some good chinooks or dry cool days. Nothing wrong with taking advantage of that cool air now and then.

Unless you've got some trailer queen show car, there are a lot of things really unnecessary. Cars do better not sitting obviously so if you can drive it around every month for a while, you really don't need to do any serious long storage practices.

Just my opinion of course - and a lot of others as well I guess.

GTS Jeff
10-06-2007, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by xrayvsn

Where do you get the car cover? Are they typically customized for each individual car? I dunno...I'm sure custom ones exist. Sometimes they are available as OEM accessories from the dealer and sometimes you gotta google one up. This is where the car specific forums come in handy!

anhthanh
10-06-2007, 05:30 AM
forgot to ask wat to do abt insurance do u cancel it and get insurance agian next season ???

inline6turbo
10-06-2007, 06:47 AM
remove everything except fire theft and vandalism