PDA

View Full Version : Need help with "steps required" to buy used car in Ont. and get registered in AB

Frostyshake
10-05-2007, 10:18 AM
HI
I live in Calgary and am buying my mother's car which is in Ont. After we complete the bill of sale (via mail) I'm planning on having the car shipped to Calgary. Apparently the shipping company will pick up from my mother's home and drop off wherever I direct them to here in Calgary. They have indicated the car is insured enroute.

I'm not sure of the following?
Where do the Ont. plates get taken off? When should mother cancell her insurance? Do I need her registration or only the bill of sale to get things completed here in Calgary.

I think I need to have car dropped off at a garage here in Calgary to get out of province inspection done...then I get my insurance...then I get my registration and plates and then pick car up at garage?

Is this the correct process? I'm not sure where to get the information. Any help from you would be most appreciative.

I hate being so ignorant about something as simple as this, but first time for me.

Thanks,
Frostyshake

5G_celica
10-05-2007, 03:01 PM
anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but all you need is the bill of sale. you don't need the registration (I just sold my bc registered car here and I'll I needed to give the buyer was the bill of sale)

I'm not 100% possitive on the insurance, but I think you get insurance on the car, then get a temp registration ( 7 days) so you can get it inspected then when it passes you get the full registration.

if the shipping company has insurance then you pull of the ont plates when you mom drops it at the shipping yard.
since they drop it at your house then you don't need to drive it.

Graham_A_M
10-05-2007, 04:37 PM
You need to have insurance on it, either hers or yours, (but it HAS to be insured, preferbaly by you) and in Alberta you get a two week (14 day) grace period from the date on the bill of sale, to when you have to get the vehicle properly registered. Its just to allow time for out of provinces (what you'll be going through) and other things. Which is kind of nice, but not too many people know about it (probably a good thing I guess, as thats pretty easy to use as a loop-hole).
Its best to set-up an appointment with a dealership, and have the car dropped off ON to they're lot. So lets say by Friday, the car should be in Calgary, and have an appointment for that friday for the out of province (OOP for short)
You'll have to go to the registries with the bill of sale, and the VIN (if its not on the Bill of sale, which it definately should be) Then they'll give you a white document called the "Request for OPP form"
You need that BEFORE you go to the dealership, as they wont touch your car until they have it in their hands. The form costs somewhere between $10-20 I believe
The dealership will give you an estimate if there are any things that need to be fixed before they can give it the okay. I'd actually use the search tool on this forum to find out which place (and where) is a great place to go for an OOP. Some places are frickin' sticklers, others are pretty laid back. Do yourself and your wallet a big favor and go with the laid back ones. Sometimes these stickers like to point out problems that are barely even there just to make you pay out the nose to have then fixed. Once your car is in for the inspection, they can hit you with a HUGE bill, and you pretty much have to pay it, as most wont release the car until its been safetied, (its a shit load of paper work to release the car, and Transport Alberta has to be notified of a failed vehicle being released back on "the roads")
But anyway, from there after the car has been cleared, you get the yellow copy that you have to bring with you to the registries, the inspect the copy, and your then good to go to get it registered... but obviously the people at the registries HAVE to have proof of valid insurance in their hands other wise they can't register it for you.

For instance, do NOT go to Performance cycle & auto. I had a disasterous experience with them, and warn everybody about those guys, I bought a bike in from BC and had to go through all this (thats how I know) and went through Performance cycle & auto, and they "found" things wrong with the bike that Honest to God weren't there. I had the bike inspected by three other mechanics, and they said those morons at Performance cycle are smoking crack. :thumbsdow

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you may as well leave the Ontario plate on there, as any plate will attract a lot less attention then no plate.