PDA

View Full Version : What kind of amp do I need?

Scat
07-08-2003, 01:06 PM
Hey, I just bought three 10" subs already prewired in a box. They are 400W rms at 4ohms, each. I need a single amp with a cooling fan to power them. Any suggestions or anyone selliing a good amp?

Oh, and no Phoenix Gold. Too expensive.

dogstar
07-09-2003, 03:22 AM
what kind of subs?
real, quality ones, or some no name brand?

if you want a good amp, you might want to look at a JL 500/1 or an alpine mrd-m500 or mrd-m1000.
neither has a cooling fan, but oh well, theyre easy to rig up.

i cant recommend in good concience that you use a phoenix gold, i hate em.

hmm, havent been keeping up on amps lately, but car audio review mag put out a buyers reference guide a while back, ill take a look for it.

Weapon_R
07-09-2003, 11:11 AM
A JL 500/1 is almost as pricey as PG. And a PG is an awesome amp.

If you want something really cheap, head over to XS cargo. They have 800 watt amps there for about a hundred dollars. It sounds like you have the THUMP series subwoofers, just by the way you described it.

Scat
07-10-2003, 10:47 AM
They are 3 MA Audio 10's in a box wired into one channel. Each is 400w rms @ 4ohms.

dogstar
07-10-2003, 10:50 PM
get a MA audio amp...

something around 1200 watts, as far as their rating system goes.

lol, just dont expect to actually get 1200 watts...

HACHIROKU_4AG
07-10-2003, 11:31 PM
3 four ohm subs wired to a single terminal would theoretically yield a load of about 0.8-1.2 the only way you can run this setup safely and reliably with good results is if you purchase a high end amplifier.

Hash_man
07-11-2003, 07:44 PM
It doesnt really matter that they are wired to one thing.. the input. Its weather they are wired in series or parallel, and I beleive they are wired in Parallel, which is good. Scat man, I agree with dogstar, cuz it would be really cheap if u can find one, or go with something like an MTX... or maybe audiobahn, but I don't know much about them.

DonJuan
07-14-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by HACHIROKU_4AG
3 four ohm subs wired to a single terminal would theoretically yield a load of about 0.8-1.2
theoretically your close but still wrong, the load depends on the size of the wire it's connected to, assuming it's the copper 10 guage that comes in the common amp kit, the capable load is 1.4 ohms. this also depends on how long the wires are. In the end though the bottom line is DONT GO TO XS CARGO. why buy an amp that youd have to now hide somwhere in your trunk so that no one would see it. I hate so say it but just find some shady friends and they can get it for you, and if the come near my car...:guns: damn thieves!

Scat
07-18-2003, 04:02 PM
I just got it all installed and i went with the Alpine MRD-M500

It all sounds great and the subs are running strong. I am very surprized about the amp because it doesn't have a cooling fan, yet it is never hot. Not even on these hot days we have been having.
thanks for the advice dogstar.