PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have MSN on their Blackberry?

em2ab
10-05-2007, 08:04 PM
I want to upload a MSN client to my Blackberry and I know there are lots on www.handango.com but are they all data based or are there some that are SMS based? Common sense tells me that it's impossible to send a SMS to a computer from a phone but I'm wondering if anyone has found an instant messaging client for a Blackberry which manages to attach the message charges as SMS instead of data transfers. I have unlimited SMS but limited data. Anyone?

FreakinPrince
10-05-2007, 10:20 PM
alot of pepole have txt me from computer to my BB and i am always able to reply that txt message back to their computer

have you already setup msn account to state that you have mobile?

em2ab
10-06-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by FreakinPrince
alot of pepole have txt me from computer to my BB and i am always able to reply that txt message back to their computer

have you already setup msn account to state that you have mobile?
You might be able to reply but are they receiving it for sure? I know with Telus it was impossible to do this. What do you mean by setting up MSN to say it's mobile?

94SSEi
10-07-2007, 08:03 AM
With Rogers you can reply back to someone if they SMS you via MSN...I've done it before with my g/f so I know the message actually gets through...

As for the original post, other than having msn set up to go to your mobile and just recieving/sending SMS, there is no way I know of to use MSN without data...just pony up and buy it, haha

EDIT: Which carrier are you with?

FreakinPrince
10-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by em2ab

You might be able to reply but are they receiving it for sure? I know with Telus it was impossible to do this. What do you mean by setting up MSN to say it's mobile?

they are always reciving it....even my gf was txting me last night from computer and i was basically talking to her from SMS to computer all night long....

go under the option of msn and pick the phone tab..make sure you checked the box then click on mobile setting....the IE will open up and under "My account" click on each or whatever and fill in the blank...the phone number and what not....once that is done....your phone will be come moible able

have a friend try that out and send you a smile sms and it should work

this will count as aganist your sms plan you may have with Rogers...

AS FOR BB MSN...it will go thur only as DATA so there is no way getting around it unless you have unlimited plan for it...

Shaolin
10-07-2007, 11:04 AM
I tried MSN Live on my BB and it sucked.. I didn't know you can use the SMS feature.. I'm going to give that one a try.

I heard there is a MetaIM app that's either in dev or already released for the BB.. I read it on Viigo but I don't remember what the program is called..

em2ab
10-07-2007, 05:55 PM
What's MetaIM? IM+ has been out for the last year or more and it supports AIM, ICQ, MSN, Jabber, Google and Yahoo. It's $50 from handango.com. So basically what I got is that I can't do this without getting raped on charges because I'm with Telus and don't have unlimited data. Looks like I'll have to go with Verizon.

FreakinPrince
10-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by em2ab
What's MetaIM? IM+ has been out for the last year or more and it supports AIM, ICQ, MSN, Jabber, Google and Yahoo. It's $50 from handango.com. So basically what I got is that I can't do this without getting raped on charges because I'm with Telus and don't have unlimited data. Looks like I'll have to go with Verizon.

pretty much what you said is correct....

what's so good about verizon?

em2ab
10-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by FreakinPrince

pretty much what you said is correct....

what's so good about verizon?

Verizon has unlimited data plans. Telus doesn't. Verizon is also CDMA, I'll never switch to GSM.

DiEseL86
06-12-2008, 08:39 AM
question.. so blackberries use data for Msn messenger.. anyone know approx how much each message sent is used up as data?
I understand larger messages are more, whats a good measureable avg to determine how much I can possibly do a month on a basic data plan??

avishal26
06-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Well I just got a pearl and the only data plan they have now is either unlimited email and IM or unlimited internet or both. what is this basic data plan you're referring to?

Also.. does blackberry messenger work the same way as MSN? lol i haven't used it yet.. just got it a couple of days ago :D

interlude
06-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Get Jivetalk.. it connects to all internet chat programs all in one, there is a one time fee, but its worth it.

spyce
06-12-2008, 09:46 AM
I think theres a Windows Live app coming out for the Blackberry.
I believe I read it over on crackberry.com last night

DiEseL86
06-14-2008, 03:18 PM
hey guys.. kinda off topic but.. got a question..

How many out there have UNLOCKED blackberries ( from ebay, online, etc ) and have them configured to Rogers with out problems?

And how many have had problems? i'm looking at buying one unlocked, ive heard good and bad stories about em. Can anyone share?? Thanks!

I'm talkin if it doesn't work with the applications that it has, IM, Internet browsing, etc.. ( i know phone and text would work fine )

FreakinPrince
06-15-2008, 02:01 PM
i have brought a t mobile phone in the past and unlock it myself by buying code from online...it works flawless on rogers network and just now my sister who is using it just used on the Eurpoe network as she brough pre paid sim card...so it works... can't tell if there is anything problems with it unless the carriers here are starting to block your IMEI number and then you will be screwed...chances of that happening is slim and i am still seeing and hearing people buying unlocking phones....

hs2000
06-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Jivetalk is prob the best program for msn use on blackberry.

i'm using a tmo 8320 and have jivetalk, you can use either your data or have it set on wifi preferred.

i'm currently using the trial version but will definitely buy it when the trial is done.

19.99 and i'm sure you can find a 5 dollar coupon somehwere on the internet.

hs2000
06-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by DiEseL86
hey guys.. kinda off topic but.. got a question..

How many out there have UNLOCKED blackberries ( from ebay, online, etc ) and have them configured to Rogers with out problems?

And how many have had problems? i'm looking at buying one unlocked, ive heard good and bad stories about em. Can anyone share?? Thanks!

I'm talkin if it doesn't work with the applications that it has, IM, Internet browsing, etc.. ( i know phone and text would work fine )

Depends if you buy it used or new.

The most common problem you will have when purchasing a used blackberry would be; the pin has been registered to an email. The solution to this, you must contact the service provider of the blackberry and request them to release the pin for you. If that doesn't work, you can contact blackberry and they can also do it for you. This is assuming you want to use data with your blackberry.

buying a new blackberry, you shouldn't have any of these problems. You should be able to register it with any provider that uses blackberries.

I'm currently using fido.

spike98
06-15-2008, 09:33 PM
What i have done (as well as many other at hofo) is signed up for the $15 Ulimited Email option for my BB. Then i download third party applications suchs as IM+, Opera Mini, and Weather Eye. You can use these applications free of chager and will not get charged for the data being used.

The only way a carrier can charge you is if you want to use carrier software. Then they monitor what the software uses and charge you for it. If you get the UL email plan it allows you to use data to download emails and attachments. These third party applications use the SAME type of data therefor showing up as FREE on your bill.

Go over to Howard Forums and check it out. With a CDMA carrier you dont need to configure anything but with a GSM carrier you have to tweek your APN settings.

Or go with a Unlimited data plan, all carriers have them now and they are around $30.

PS I think Jivetalk is the best IM program but i use IM+ because of the above.

anarchy
06-16-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by avishal26
Well I just got a pearl and the only data plan they have now is either unlimited email and IM or unlimited internet or both. what is this basic data plan you're referring to?

Also.. does blackberry messenger work the same way as MSN? lol i haven't used it yet.. just got it a couple of days ago :D
As spike mentioned, if you're with Rogers you can get the $15 unlimited email and bb messenger plan, and you can download third party apps like IM+ to use at no extra data charges (there's a one time fee for IM+ for initial purchase, I believe it's $60).

BB Messenger isn't the same as MSN, you can only contact other BB users that have a data plan, but it's essentially a chat program that functions the same way. It's a handy program to use if you have firends that have a BB and data plan.

DiEseL86
06-27-2008, 10:27 AM
question guys.. kinda off topic with the msn n all, but
i have a curve, locked to rogers, and i installed the O/S and all, ever since then, i haven't been able to delete or edit my calender appointments! any help? this is what it reads

"Appointment deleted externally. Changes will be lost and the viewer closed."