PDA

View Full Version : will scotia bank place a hold on a cash deposit?

LiquidK
10-06-2007, 04:44 PM
this may sound like a stupid question to some, but i need to have alot of money in the bank by tuesday, and the bank is closed until tuesday

if i go to the atm at my branch and make a cash deposit, will their be a hold placed on my cash or will it be instantly available?

A790
10-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by LiquidK
this may sound like a stupid question to some, but i need to have alot of money in the bank by tuesday, and the bank is closed until tuesday

if i go to the atm at my branch and make a cash deposit, will their be a hold placed on my cash or will it be instantly available?

Depends on the amount. Large deposits over X amount are held if its weird for your banking history I believe.

LiquidK
10-06-2007, 04:49 PM
well ive never deposited cash, but ive never bounced a cheque and i think i need to deposit about 300cash
if not... well im screwed. royally.

doublepostwhore
10-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Yes they automatically place a hold on anything deposited.

Call the # on the back of your card QUICKLY and get them to authorize it at your bank branch.

bank closes at 5 today (all scotia calgary's)

Weapon_R
10-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Yes, there will be a hold. An ATM does not differentiate between a check and cash, however once its processed it may clear quicker. Probably not by Tuesday at any rate, however.

oilerfan4lyfe
10-06-2007, 05:31 PM
It depends on your release amount...

Your release amount is a limit on your card - it tells the ATM machine how much of a deposit through the ATM to hold and how much to release immediately.

If you don't know what yours is, you can call their customer contact centre and I'm sure they'll be able to tell you.

Jynx
10-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Most customers get a certain amount of funds holds free... for example the first $1000 or $1500 can be withdrawn rite away.

LiquidK
10-06-2007, 05:55 PM
if i go to a branch that isnt my own, but another scotia bank branch
if i do a cash deposit through their tellers, will the amount be put in my account for use immediately, im going to be sw tuesday morning and was thinking of going to the scotia off sarcee on 17th

LiquidK
10-06-2007, 06:45 PM
my lack of punctuation confuses even me

98type_r
10-06-2007, 06:55 PM
there are no holds on cash deposits done through a teller regardless of whether or not it's your home branch.

If this is such a big concern why not just keep whatever amount of cash it is you're going to need.

LiquidK
10-06-2007, 08:06 PM
its being debited from my account by someone else, cant pay cash

Annoyingrob
10-07-2007, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by oilerfan4lyfe
It depends on your release amount...

Your release amount is a limit on your card - it tells the ATM machine how much of a deposit through the ATM to hold and how much to release immediately.

If you don't know what yours is, you can call their customer contact centre and I'm sure they'll be able to tell you.

Exactly, it all depends on your account. The amount you will have available to you upon deposit was set up when you created the account. I know that mine is $1500, but like I said, it varries from account to account. Call up customer service, and check the details of your account.

Or just put it in anyways, and hope for the best, as it seems like you need it in there.

Masked Bandit
10-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by LiquidK
if i go to a branch that isnt my own, but another scotia bank branch
if i do a cash deposit through their tellers, will the amount be put in my account for use immediately, im going to be sw tuesday morning and was thinking of going to the scotia off sarcee on 17th

I know it's too late now but yes, depositing cash through a teller, not the machine, is cleared instantly.

oilerfan4lyfe
10-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Yeah, cash should never be held regardless of what branch you deposit it at assuming you go to a CSR inside.