PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Removal of Civic Axles

DiEseL86
10-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Ok guys in need of some help!! I'm trying to attempt to remove my axles off a 95 Civic. I've searched so many times that no one experiences my issuse :( ok here we go...

Removal of my axles attempts:

1. used a 32 socket with extension with breaker bar
Result- bent breaker bar ( yes about 3/4 inch of metal)

2. used a 32 socket with extension with breaks pressed down
result-broke extension

3.used a 32 socket with different extension with breaks pressed down
Result - no budge

4. Used a 32 socket with extension with breaks pressed and tried a huge hammer
result- no budge

All these were done after it has been WD40'ed for a few hours

Im runnin out of ideas. I have NO clue what " staked" means in the manual, maybe that might help if i knew how, however, anyone online don't ever show stakin the nut/bolt or whatever.

Any help is greatly appreciated!! This is stopping me from doing my engine swap :(

Pics will be up if anyone does not know What I'm talking about.

DiEseL86
10-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Picture 1

DiEseL86
10-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Picture 2

DiEseL86
10-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Picture 3

DiEseL86
10-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Picture 3 --- question within...

redblack
10-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Arnt you suppose to bend that metal tab out of the nut?

jdm_eg6
use a hole punch to move that bent peice of metal away from the nut. then use a breaker bar, when i did it to my 94 civic hatch, i used the Socket, a Heavy duty ratchet.... and a 9 foot long steel pole... put them all together and giver SHIIITTT!!! my car actually slid up my garage with P break on but i finally got it...

then tryed on my bros Celica, annnnd broke the ratchet so be carefull haha.

ercchry
i dont know how much it would help but maybe try straightening the end of the nut so its not in the groove in the axle :dunno:

Lo)2enz0
10-06-2007, 07:16 PM
see that metal part that is pushed in, you need to take a punch to it so the nut will spin. it locks the nut in place

euro_racer
10-06-2007, 07:16 PM
and you are sure you are loosening it in the right direstion right? righty-tighty, lefty-loosy

LOL j/k...every single time ive done it was usually using a braker bar or having an impact gun also helps..worst case scenerio, heat it up :thumbsup:

INITIALD
10-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Put a screwdriver inside the top or bottom of the rotor to stop it from moving and use a large breaker bar.

jdm_eg6
10-06-2007, 07:38 PM
^^^^ that, ORRR!!! put ur winter HONDA wheels back on, then drop the car back on the ground, take off center cap and put the socket through there.. ENJOY!!!

Primer_Drift
10-06-2007, 07:39 PM
I never remove the metal tab... I use a 3/4" 32mm socket on a 2 foot bar, inside a 6 foot metal pipe.

Put the tires back on, put it on the ground, have someone hold down the brakes after pumping them up, and away you go..

jdm_eg6
10-06-2007, 07:52 PM
^^ yeh, that tab isnt that strong at all, it just keeps it from falling off on its own

frozenrice
10-06-2007, 07:53 PM
I just replaced an axel on my Teg this afternoon.
I usually remove that nut while the car is on the ground. Put the wheel back on, lower it, remove center cap on rim (if applicable) and go at it. If you're gonna do it by hand (ie, breaker bar or what ever) it'll be easier if you bend that tab on the nut (that's what they mean by unstaking it). I'd highly recommend an impact wrench though. If you use an impact you likely won't need to unstake the nut.

78si
10-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Impact gun.. I wouldnt bother without one.

2EFNFAST
10-07-2007, 01:26 AM
I have no idea how similar that is to a hub/bearing setup on a mustang, but on a mustang that nut (self-caged locking) is held in with ~250-280ft-lbs.

You need an impact gun to get it off

Now, there may be a reason why there's a hole, and there may be a reason why the nut is dented in, but I don't know that, so I can't be much help :dunno:

jaylo
10-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Integra and civic axles are torqued at 100-120ft-lbs. Easiest way is to unstake the nut, put your winter tires on, and drive to a nearest automotive shop.

I'm sure they can loosen that nut with an impact gun. I had many broken breaker bars and even taking off a 1 year old axle nut was a pain with a breaker bar.

DiEseL86
10-07-2007, 01:56 PM
only problem with that ( for the guy who told me to drive the car to the nearest shop ) the engine is mostly taken apart so that won't help much - I'll try the winter tires thing, i've heard from a lot of ppl it should work, i'll try to unstake it with a like a FLAT and a hammer lol.. I'll try it tonight let you all know what the deal is.. thanks everyone for ure quick response!

Tik-Tok
10-07-2007, 02:10 PM
LUBE, lots of lube.

My current favorite for seized parts is Aerokroil... no idea who would have it in town though, my work gets it through our client.

DiEseL86
10-12-2007, 09:39 PM
alright trying it tomorrow! lol

slowep3
10-12-2007, 09:42 PM
ive never herd of anyone having such a hard time takin the nuts off ive seen ppl take em off 86 honda crx's and they came off fine could it he just got unlucky with his car? not tryiin to say u dont know what ur doing cuz im not a pro either lol

300ZofPrey
10-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Please put your head under the car, and release the jack.

1. That tab of metal? It is PREVENTING THE NUT FROM SPINNING. Any retard can see that.

2. Remove CV shaft nuts with the TIRES ON THE GROUND. Not trying to hold it against the brakes.

3. If you cannot understand how to remove an axle, I feel for your ability to re-build a precision engine like a Honda.

:werd:

DiEseL86
10-13-2007, 02:47 PM
alright.. well getting an axle out isnt rocket science, but I have tried everything I know to remove it. tried to do it with the winters on, wheels started to chirp on the floor, so then i got a person to hold the brakes, and yet still not able to budge a bit.

I've already staked it so I got that good, so I guess that leads to handin it over to a mechanic with an impact.

This shouldn be this hard but any other help would be great. Thanks for all input even the retarded ones :D

300ZofPrey
10-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Put car in park.

Place Large breaker bar onto axle nut.

Twist COUNTERCLOCKWISE

Either you are 90 Lbs, or you are not putting enough torque on it.

Really, Tell me you did NOT Drive the nut INTO the threads....

Because that's what Staking is.....If you DID, you are fucked.

mrbojangles
10-14-2007, 09:43 AM
How long of a breaker bar are you using?

Use 2 feet or better yet much longer. Leverage is your friend.
Use a long pipe that can fit just over your ratchet.

turbo'dGSR
10-28-2007, 06:34 PM
ever end up getting the nut off? I had a hell of a time getting one of my integra once but eventually we used a huge wrench and jumped on it till the nut broke loose.
I just took off both sides of my teg again, I put a screwdriver in the rotor(like INITIALD said) and used my 1/2" drive breaker bar with a 4 foot pole. No problem. Just make sure you are using a large enough breaker bar and dont worry too much about that little indent on the nut, it will pop out when the nut spins.

Here's the screwdriver trick, alot better then having to lower the car back onto the wheels if you're sitting on stands.
This is the breaker bar I used and put a 4' pole on the end of it.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/Hondaddict/IMG_2902.jpg