PDA

View Full Version : U of C - Final GPA?

Disoblige
10-07-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm a first year engineering student at U of C, and I was wondering how the final GPA is calculated after you're done the 4 years of study? I heard of something like they only use your year 2 to year 4 classes, or the last 20 classes you take. Can anyone confirm this at all?

ashee
10-07-2007, 01:55 PM
I've never heard that, I was told it is cumulative thus everything counts.

Gainsbarre
10-07-2007, 02:23 PM
If you're looking at GPA for graduate school or to see if you've earne "with distinction" (or something similar on your graduation parchment) then you only need to look at the last 20 courses or so. Otherwise your "final GPA" includes all courses taken...

urbannomad
10-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre
If you're looking at GPA for graduate school or to see if you've earne "with distinction" (or something similar on your graduation parchment) then you only need to look at the last 20 courses or so. Otherwise your "final GPA" includes all courses taken...

:werd:

Paulhammer
10-09-2007, 09:39 PM
As said above, GPA includes all the classes you take while at U of C... unless of course you repeat a class to get a better mark, in which case the lower mark is slashed from your GPA.

Also, i'm pretty sure that if you take more than 40 classes, the earliest grades get dropped off in favour of newer ones...

msommers
10-09-2007, 09:55 PM
One gay thing that U of C does in on your transcript. You get one, send it to the people offering scholarships, only have to sent back because it doesn't have a cumulative/total GPA of all your coarses:banghead:

Janice
10-10-2007, 01:10 PM
For grad studies they only look at the last 2 years =last 20 courses you have taken and calculate your GPA based on those. This means don't leave the hard courses to the end!

The cumulative GPA gives you an average of all the courses you have taken in your university career. It isn't necessarily relevant if you want to continue your education, considering the last two years are the ones that count.

I did my undergrad in 6 years (two degrees) and they didn't drop off my crappy marks in my first year! ALL the courses you take count towards the cumulative GPA no matter how long ago you took them...

liquidboi69
10-11-2007, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Paulhammer
As said above, GPA includes all the classes you take while at U of C... unless of course you repeat a class to get a better mark, in which case the lower mark is slashed from your GPA.

Also, i'm pretty sure that if you take more than 40 classes, the earliest grades get dropped off in favour of newer ones...

Can anyone confirm the "repeat a class and slash lower mark" thing?? cuz i thought they count both towards ur cumulative GPA :dunno:

autospeed
10-11-2007, 12:48 PM
I don't think they just slash your lower mark either... cause that way wouldn't everyone in sciences get into med school? (assuming they aced their courses the second time through)

Janice
10-11-2007, 07:32 PM
You can re-take a course and use that mark, but only if you dropped the course you weren't doing well in before the deadline for dropping registered courses. Otherwise the crappy mark counts towards your GPA if you don't drop it before that deadline. I think you also get a certain percentage that you paid for the course depending on when you drop it.

That's my understanding. Talk to a student councellor for more info.

Nekura
10-11-2007, 07:41 PM
NO marks get slashed...everything including W's are permanently on your transcript. I looked this up because I actually almost failed 2 classes Henry.

AG_Styles
10-11-2007, 08:14 PM
EVERY final grade u get stays on ur transcript.

if you retake a course, the higher grade is used for your gpa calculation.

but, ur previous grade stays on your transcript.

liquidboi69
10-11-2007, 10:59 PM
so.... lets say I got a D+ which i did, and i totally dont know why i didnt drop it.... but im retaking this semester....

and lets say i get like a... B... so the B is used for gpa calculation, but the D+ is just shown on transcript and not calculated towards the gpa?

Paulhammer
10-12-2007, 08:55 AM
that's how i was under the impression it works... when you take a class twice, you can only get credit for one of them, thus the higher mark goes towards your GPA, and the other just sits on your transcript so that higher education can see that you mucked up.

ps: medical school isn't super difficult to get into, it just depends where you go - in canada is off the wall tough, but if you're willing to go to the states, a 3.5 and 30+ on the MCAT with some volunteering will get it done at most schools

<end thread hijack>

rixxx
03-01-2009, 10:37 PM

badatusrnames
03-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by rixxx
sorry to bump an old thread but how do they know what the last 20 courses you took are (to get a degree with distinction). If you enter third year with only 18 courses completed, which two courses would not count towards the 20 courses.

I'm assuming they count the highest grades. :dunno:

Ebon
03-01-2009, 10:45 PM
you would need 40 to graduate so your first 18 courses and your next 2 wont count towards it. After that its fair game.

rixxx
03-01-2009, 10:49 PM

Ebon
03-01-2009, 10:52 PM
They would go with the highest 3 grades.

Also anyone know what happens to the courses you've taken that don't count towards degree requirements? I looked through the old posts but they contradict each other.

asad16
03-02-2009, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Paulhammer
that's how i was under the impression it works... when you take a class twice, you can only get credit for one of them, thus the higher mark goes towards your GPA, and the other just sits on your transcript so that higher education can see that you mucked up.

ps: medical school isn't super difficult to get into, it just depends where you go - in canada is off the wall tough, but if you're willing to go to the states, a 3.5 and 30+ on the MCAT with some volunteering will get it done at most schools

&lt;end thread hijack&gt;

That seems kinda retarded... I'm in engg right now and a huge amount of people failed this one class(engg 205)... and since of the high failure rate they are offering the class in winter. So lets say half of them get A's, they are in better shape in getting into their field because they took a course twice while i only took it once and managed a B?

Disoblige
03-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Well, to my knowledge now in Engineering, I believe it's the last 20 courses (pretty much 3rd & 4th year) that count towards getting an Engineering Degree with Distinction.

vinc456
03-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by asad16

That seems kinda retarded... I'm in engg right now and a huge amount of people failed this one class(engg 205)... and since of the high failure rate they are offering the class in winter. So lets say half of them get A's, they are in better shape in getting into their field because they took a course twice while i only took it once and managed a B?

Don't quote me but if you don't pass all your courses I think you automatically have second priority when picking your discipline. ie) a person with first priority and a D average take precedence over an A student with second priority.

r0g3r
05-04-2009, 12:07 PM
im just wondering, do spring/summer courses in 2008 count towards the gpa for the current review period (2008-2009 year)?

bashir26
05-04-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by r0g3r
im just wondering, do spring/summer courses in 2008 count towards the gpa for the current review period (2008-2009 year)?

spring/summer does not count towards your 2008-2009 year. It counts as credits, but you can't use it to get into grad school. I'm pretty sure that's how it goes, I could be wrong.

jwslam
05-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by bashir26

spring/summer does not count towards your 2008-2009 year. It counts as credits, but you can't use it to get into grad school. I'm pretty sure that's how it goes, I could be wrong.
yea that's wrong
current review would be from P08-W09
so includes P08,S08,F08&W09

The Schulich School of Engineering meets at the end of the Winter Session to review the academic performance of Engineering students. All students are subject to review regardless of the number of courses taken during the review period. At the annual review all courses taken by the student since the previous review (or since admission in the case of the first review) will be included in the evaluation of academic performance. For any student who did not achieve a grade point average of 2.00 or higher on the student's previous review or who is on academic probation for other reasons, only those courses taken during the review period that are required for the student's engineering program will be included in the count of courses and in the evaluation of academic performance.
Source here (http://www.ucalgary.ca/pubs/calendar/2006/what/fac/EN/faculty_regulations.htm)

r0g3r
05-04-2009, 03:23 PM
oh thanks jwslam, I Was trying to find the info off the ucalgary site but its hard to navigate.