PDA

View Full Version : Some Bike help needed

GTO
10-07-2007, 01:51 PM
hey everyone well my friend has a 1994 Suzuki GSXR that hes trying to sell to me, its is really good shape, has like 60,000kms, but it needs a new battery, and a oil pan gasket, how much will thoose repairs cost me? also how much is this bike worth when its fixed? and how much should I pay for it as is
Any advise will be appreciated

Thanks!

Kobe
10-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Is this a 750? Batteries usually run around $100 the Km are pretty high, so it really depends on the condition of the bike, it could run for another 200KM or 40,000KM..

The battery would not be hard to change yourself, it is going to be under the seat..

About the gasket, they would run for 80 or so I'm guessing, but it might be pretty hard to find since the bike is old, Haven't changed one, but If you have a stand I couldn't see it being to hard, might just take some time...

I would think 1-2,000 would be a good price, over 2,000 though I would consider something else for sure, IMO..

is the bike even running right now?

GTO
10-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Kobe
Is this a 750? Batteries usually run around $100 the Km are pretty high, so it really depends on the condition of the bike, it could run for another 200KM or 40,000KM..

The battery would not be hard to change yourself, it is going to be under the seat..

About the gasket, they would run for 80 or so I'm guessing, but it might be pretty hard to find since the bike is old, Haven't changed one, but If you have a stand I couldn't see it being to hard, might just take some time...

I would think 1-2,000 would be a good price, over 2,000 though I would consider something else for sure, IMO..

is the bike even running right now?

hey yea I am getting it for $950 and yea u can start the engine but as sonn as u put it into gear all the oil just comes out so u cant ride but u can hear the enigne run

Kobe
10-07-2007, 03:51 PM
I'd recommend not turning it on if the oil is leaking like that, or it could seize the engine...

Supa Dexta
10-08-2007, 07:46 AM
That gasket must not even be there if it's leaking like that... It likely won't be 80, maybe half that, and if it's just for the pan generally they aren't hard to change, drop the pan and replace.. Shouldn't be hard to get it either from a dealer... It depends on how the frame is run, if it will restrict access for you to drop it.. Just take a look at it.. And be careful on the torques, a lot of people f-up pans, they are thin and not made to handle you wrenching too hard on them..

SilverBoost
10-08-2007, 10:20 AM
If the bike is in really good shape (like, never been dropped, no dents or gouges) and all you're talking is mechanical, well this wouldn't be a bad deal. But you have to expect that if you're looking to buy something that you can just get on and ride with a few little fixes, you might be buying more than you bargained for. As was said, you might get a lot more use out of it, or barely a season. It's really hard to say. But if you were going to tear it down and rebuild it and go over it all, you could invest a few thousand dollars and still have a really decent bike.

Here's a page with the evolution of the 750.
http://www.adamanda.org/bikes/gsxr/evolution/

mekeni
10-08-2007, 12:15 PM
I would be wary of the engine though...