PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Canada? Bend over!

Toms-SC
10-08-2007, 12:37 AM
http://www.betanews.com/article/Report_iPhone_Coming_to_Canada_via_Rogers/1191600464

$799, Holt to have them in two weeks. Rogers to charge insane amount for data transfer. Canada really does need an independent GSM provider to prevent shit like this from happening.

davidI
10-08-2007, 12:44 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Canada charges disproportionately high rates for mobile phone service to the rest of the world. Every Country I visit is ridiculously cheaper than Canada. Even Sana'a, Yemen, AKA the 7th Worst City in the World (same survey as Calgary was 25th Best City in the world) has better phones / plans & service. So sad.

Team_BMW
10-08-2007, 01:02 AM
Isn't the loonie compared to the dollar relatively the same? or even our loonie is higher? and shouldn't that prices be lower? Wow this is messed, and why not just buy an Iphone in the states, and then unlock it and go with rogers.

gpomp
10-08-2007, 01:08 AM
:repost:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/192778/iphone-rumour-for-sale-in-canada-via-holt-refrew/

boi-alien
10-08-2007, 10:45 AM
From Digital Journal.

We have received word from Mario Manza, Executive Director of VIP Services at Holt Renfrew, that they will not be carrying the iPhone for now. He said he confirmed this information with the buyers this morning and apologized for any misinformation on behalf of the company.

It sure is a weird scenario: Yesterday we placed cold calls to their accessories department and they were telling everyone the iPhone would be there in two weeks. They were even going so far as taking down phone numbers of people who called, informing them they will call back when it arrives in two weeks. They even quoted the exact price of $799.

Yesterday we also received a panic-sounding call from Holt Renfrew's PR team saying this deal was not confirmed "yet" -- "yet" being the operative word.

If you call today, however, the same employees are now saying they are no longer getting the iPhone anytime soon. Digital Journal's insiders are now saying the same thing.

As we mentioned, and as most people agreed, Holt Renfrew sounded like a very unlikely place for the iPhone to be launched in Canada. But the retailer does carry expensive Nokia, D&G and Prada phones, and they have carried iPods in the past.

So rumour is quashed, for now (according to Mario Manza). Holt Renfrew insiders still say Rogers will have it in January but they say it's not clear why a potential Holt Renfrew deal fell through. We'll see if we can get more information on that.

We'll keep you posted if we learn anything new.

khtm
10-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by davidI
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Canada charges disproportionately high rates for mobile phone service to the rest of the world. Every Country I visit is ridiculously cheaper than Canada. Even Sana'a, Yemen, AKA the 7th Worst City in the World (same survey as Calgary was 25th Best City in the world) has better phones / plans & service. So sad.
You do understand that it has just a *little* to do with population density, don't you? Our infrastructure is ridiculously spread out and we don't have near the number of users as other countries.

Hakkola
10-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by khtm

You do understand that it has just a *little* to do with population density, don't you? Our infrastructure is ridiculously spread out and we don't have near the number of users as other countries.

:werd: I keep telling people that. I don't think people know anything about population density or what the word "infrastructure" means.

98type_r
10-08-2007, 11:14 AM
this all sounds like a big PR stunt to me.