PDA

View Full Version : Dirtbiking trails near Calgary...

Hollywood
10-08-2007, 01:07 PM
Ok I picked up dirtbiking this year and I love it. The only prob is you have to drive far to get to places. I definately appreciate the camping trips out to wypress (i know I spelt it wrong). We have gone out by rocky mountain house which was fun too but the furthest trip yet, 2 hour drive or so. McClean is nice and close, but how many times can one do mcclean with out getting repetative.

So I'm not sure if there are any other spots that re in the 30-2hr range to dirtbike and looking to see if anyone else knows of any places.

86max
10-08-2007, 03:04 PM
McClean is probably the closest unless you know someone with an acreage. There's always Blackfoot motocross park too. I never really find McClean repetitive, especially with all the new trails which have been created/destroyed due to all the clear cutting as of late. Lately we've been taking a lot of single track trails that are fairly fresh, you just have to make sure you're with someone who has GPS. If you always park at the main entrance at McClean, try parking at the south end by Millarville, or the east side meadows, etc. There seems to be a lot more "unbeaten path" type trails around those areas. The main entrance/campground area has too much traffic.

Here's a link showing all the places in alberta you can ride, most of which are probably really far away, but I didn't want to scroll through them all. You just have to check the "OHV riding" box.
Linky (http://gateway.cd.gov.ab.ca/searchactivities.asp)

Hollywood
10-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by 86max
McClean is probably the closest unless you know someone with an acreage. There's always Blackfoot motocross park too. I never really find McClean repetitive, especially with all the new trails which have been created/destroyed due to all the clear cutting as of late. Lately we've been taking a lot of single track trails that are fairly fresh, you just have to make sure you're with someone who has GPS. If you always park at the main entrance at McClean, try parking at the south end by Millarville, or the east side meadows, etc. There seems to be a lot more "unbeaten path" type trails around those areas. The main entrance/campground area has too much traffic.

Here's a link showing all the places in alberta you can ride, most of which are probably really far away, but I didn't want to scroll through them all. You just have to check the "OHV riding" box.
Linky (http://gateway.cd.gov.ab.ca/searchactivities.asp)

Thanks man. Ya I did the motocross park yesterday. It's kind of boring if ur into trail riding. Plus the 20 bucks is kinda steep for what u get if u ask me. I think its more fun for mini bikes/pit bikes.

rc2002
10-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Mclean has tons of cut lines which are good for dirt biking. I've been there several times and I've been on new routes every time.

Waiprous is a bit further and is supposed to be a lot bigger - I've never been there myself.

Hollywood
10-09-2007, 09:16 PM
This one sounds good. Not sure if anyone has been there.

Bob Creek Wildland Park
view day use areas

Bob Creek Wildland includes Whaleback Ridge, considered to be Alberta's last remaining area of montane wilderness. It preserves extensive montane & sub-alpine landscapes and provides excellent habitat for large ungulates and carnivores such as cougars and bears. The area also contains one of Alberta's most important elk ranges. It is estimated that over 80 bird species breed in the area, and many more use the park during the fall migration.
click image to enlarge

General Information
Site Type: Backcountry/Remote
Location: 50 km north of Crowsnest (between Hwy. 22 and Forestry Trunk Road)
Distance to Edmonton: 415 km
Distance to Calgary: 120 km
Overnight Camping: No
Campsite Reservations: No
Operated By: Alberta Tourism, Parks, Recreation & Culture
Group Use: No
Winter Activities: No
Information Phone Number: 403-382-4097
Legal Description & Map: View Legal Description
Natural Region: Rocky Mountain

umair
08-01-2009, 06:37 PM
i live on an acreage, and live in bearspaw calgary n.w. (here for the summer). Look'n for some people to go dirt biking with. There's like 16 acres of land....and some cool hills around the area. Let me know if anyone is interested........email me at [email protected]

ebnighttrain
04-25-2011, 12:43 PM
Irricana is a great place to go. I have been going there for about 10 years. Look up Irricana on you tube and you will see. I go about 1 or 2 time a week with the kid when it is nice. See you there.
hope the link works

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Irricana,+AB+T0M&daddr=51.356791,-113.606715&hl=en&geocode=CbYU_PYhWTUbFYMeDwMdWow6-SlJk8TxB8JzUzH-JMuwnbACmQ%3B&gl=ca&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=14&sll=51.352219,-113.603783&sspn=0.027928,0.084028&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14

legendboy
04-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Where do you ride in Irricana? The gravel pit? lol

Thats like the worst riding around the Calgary area

Mclean creek 40 mins away....

Dave P
04-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Irricana gravel bit is a great place to go with new riders, or for getting the cobwbs off in the beggining of the year.

I like going there after installing new parts cause your never to far from your truck.

Was dry out there last weekend, lots of fun

http://forums.rmdra.com/download/file.php?id=2313&mode=view

RNB11
04-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Thumbs up for irricana, good place to begin at! about a 45 min drive!

ddduke
04-26-2011, 11:00 AM
About the Blackfoot Park, how is it in terms of mud/slop this time of year. Went to Macleans on sunday and it was a total nightmare, after about 15 mins I was completely soaked from head to toe + the snow/ice was terrible.

Dave P
04-26-2011, 12:02 PM
I heard parts of Blackfoot where super dry and dusty, but the ground is to soft to get the water trucks out there.

Im taking some new riders out to irricanna on saturday if anyone wants to meet up

JfuckinC
04-26-2011, 12:13 PM
i just ride around chesty haha.. there's lots of fun stuff around the south of the lake.. The RCMP know who i am though, they've got me on my bike riding down a road/on a boat with booze, so i probably wont as much this year haha.. :(

Edit: this is regarding when i have the itch and wont drive out west. We have some amazing stuff out west. Burnt timber/fallen timber is ok too, and north of sundre.. and there's Alix track/grounds. Drumheller is good, never busy. never been south to the track near leth though..

legendboy
04-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
Burnt timber/fallen timber is ok too, and north of sundre.. and there's Alix track/grounds. Drumheller is good, never busy. never been south to the track near leth though..

Generally riding blows in hunters valley until they clear the dead fall for races. Even then it can be total pita since there is so much dead fall happening all the time.

Drumheller sucks imo. I went out once and would not go back. Only half ass fun thing are some pretty long climbs. Some people do think its wicked down there tho :dunno:

TYPERAWR
05-07-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm interested I'n riding with ya umair I'm looking for some spots to ride might try out iricana tomorrow

..*JDM Hatch*..
05-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Irricana area has some really good riding areas,you just have to know them.Since i rode their everyday for 11 years,their are some really sick pits around that nobody knows about,lots of massive hills to climb,a MASSIVE sand pit which is a blast.Myself and a few buddies a while back we made some huge booters and some tech sections with our front end loader.

Just ride down the pit road that you are on from irricana going towards it.When heading North on the paved road,go untill you hit the hwy 72,go straight across that road onto the gravel and follow it down,their is some good riding down their.I know all the farmers and everything,they will not care if you cut across their field as long as you dont sit their digging huge holes with your machine,and dont chase their live stock if you happen to go out their in search for this.Chase the live stock and you'll have a big ass truck up your ass with a 12G shot gun out the window trying to get you.

sillysod
05-09-2011, 08:50 PM
I used to go to Waiprous quite a bit, found it alright. I had a built track bike though, so everything got a little boring -- and the mud really was hard on things.

If you want to go for a drive head out by Japser to Brule, bunch of natural sand dunes and an absoulte blast. I used to have a CR500 with a paddle that I had just for going out there. Probably the best riding this side of the boarder IMO.

Troll-ol
07-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Bumping this old thread , anyone know directions to the irricana gravel pit?

..*JDM Hatch*..
07-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Troll-ol
Bumping this old thread , anyone know directions to the irricana gravel pit?

head north out of the city,follow #2 north untill you hit an of the following hiways.

Hiway #566,head east untill you reach hiway #9 and continue north untill you reach Irricana.Take the left turn onto pioneer acres road.this turn is approx 3/4km after the road into Irricana.drive down Pioneer acres road,you will come to a set of train tracks.cross track and follow road,it will come to a dip in the road.take right turn and follow about 3.5km and on your right hand side will be the Irricana gravel pits.it's impossible to miss.

Hiway #567,Head east untill you reach Irricana,take left turn after the train tracks on hiway #567 and proceed into Irricana.follow that road you turn onto and do not turn down any of the streets in Irricana.you will come to a 3-way stop infront of the fire hall.keep going straight and follow around the left hand bend.continue down that road.you will come to a yeild at the interection at pioneer acres.Keep going straight down that road.Destination will be on the right approx 3.5km

hiway #72,head east on hiway #72 towards Beiseker,you will not be going right into the village of Beiseker.you will follow the #72 east,you will pass through a huderite colony and keep on the #72,after that colony,you will be turning onto the road which brings you righ to the pit.While travling east on hiway #72 once you pass the colony after about 4km you will notice to the distance on your right hand side,there will be a big suler plant.it's the only factory that you will see.there is a paved road on your right hand side.that is where you want to turn right. continue down the road heading south approx 4.5 km and the pit is on your left hand side. do NOT turn into the functional pit that is right beside the riding pit.

hope this helped.

Note! All directions are set in the traveling direction of heading north on hiway #2 from calgary.