PDA

View Full Version : 05-07 Tacoma and FJ Cruiser questions?

Sailz
10-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Looking at getting a new truck and with our strong dollar I have decided to purchase one down in the states. I have been looking at the 05-07 Toyota Tacoma Double cabs and the 07 Fj Cruisers. I just wanted to hear peoples opinions on the two vehicles and from people who own or have driven them how they like it. Also these vehicles are assembled in the US does that mean I do not have to pay a import duty fee on top of the gst or do I?

Thanks

RZRSHARP_SVX
10-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Based on the two the are basicly equal when it comes to power.
I have driven both and I prefer the Tacoma due to way better visibility. The FJ is absolutley terrible when it comes to that.
As for Manufacturing it should be no diffrent then the ones from Canada.

I work at toyota. and I havent found any such differences in the manufacturing. the just come with different options

I'd say go for the tacoma

Sailz
10-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by RZRSHARP_SVX
Based on the two the are basicly equal when it comes to power.
I have driven both and I prefer the Tacoma due to way better visibility. The FJ is absolutley terrible when it comes to that.
As for Manufacturing it should be no diffrent then the ones from Canada.

I work at toyota. and I havent found any such differences in the manufacturing. the just come with different options

I'd say go for the tacoma

Yeah ive heard about the visibility problems with the FJ's. I think I am going to go with the Tacoma as its assembled in California and the FJ is manufactured in Japan so I would assume I will not have to pay the duty on the tacoma, but I still wanna hear some more opinions.

ZMan2k2
10-08-2007, 07:10 PM
I've had my Tacoma for about a year now, and I've never had any problems with it. I did sit in the FJ, and I found the A-pillars to be very large in comparison, and thus the poor visibility. Last winter I had the craptastic Dunlops on that were factory, and I never got stuck once. I do find the ABS to be a little intrusive at times, meaning it kicks in pretty quickly, but some better tires now, and I'm thinking some new rotors and pads, will help with that. It's been a really good truck for mileage as well. I can get around 24mpg on the highway and 20-21mpg in the city. I use 91-octane all the time, synthetic oil and all the other top-quality maintenance stuff.

I'm curious as to which option package you're getting. I went with the SR5 package, which unfortunately has an open rear diff. I'm wondering how the limited-slip that comes with the Off-road package works for the winter. Just curious, because I found that I was using the 4-hi quite a bit last winter. Wondering if the limited slip would allow me to keep it in 2wd more.

It is a good vehicle to drive, comfortable for road trips, and really nice road manners for a truck. Good luck with the purchase, and let us know what you get.

jonny_q13
10-08-2007, 07:12 PM
some of the fj's dont have chips in the keys so its kinda a target for stealing cause theyre easy to jack then. and the interior is kinda built like lego and all plastic that clips together so that might be a little sketchy too

CivicDXR
10-08-2007, 07:13 PM
I love my Taco Supreme! :D No major problems so far, only one issue I've had is a grinding tranmission into 2nd, but it is limited to the X-Runner... as far as I know, there are no issues in general with the 4WD...

You can get alot of information here:
http://www.customtacos.com/forum/

b_t
10-08-2007, 07:18 PM
I love my '07 Tacoma extended cab. I get 23mpg average for my driving (daily from Cochrane to SAIT and back) which is fantastic for a truck. It drives very comfortably, which is great, and I would say it is definitely car-like. So you could argue it isn't the most macho truck around, but having a big Chev or Dodge or even a Tundra would have been pretty irresponsible of me because I have no use for a truck like that.

Other high points - the 6 speed shifts GREAT (you could never tell it was a truck transmission, the throws are so short and smooth), the factory stereo is awesome, the bed is crazy with the built in storage bins and super light tailgate, the seats are really comfortable.. I really have no bad things to say about my truck at all. Great stuff and I had a really good experience dealing with Charlesglen Toyota.

I test drove the FJ as well and while it was cool, I thought it was a little gimmicky. It does have very bad visibility and while the interior was cool, to get one with as many amneties as a Tacoma you have to pay over $40,000. It also is full time 4WD (if you get a standard) so it gets worse mileage and they also recommend premium gas. If I wanted to get a Jeep, and then waste some extra money on it, I would get an FJ.

Sailz
10-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2
I've had my Tacoma for about a year now, and I've never had any problems with it. I did sit in the FJ, and I found the A-pillars to be very large in comparison, and thus the poor visibility. Last winter I had the craptastic Dunlops on that were factory, and I never got stuck once. I do find the ABS to be a little intrusive at times, meaning it kicks in pretty quickly, but some better tires now, and I'm thinking some new rotors and pads, will help with that. It's been a really good truck for mileage as well. I can get around 24mpg on the highway and 20-21mpg in the city. I use 91-octane all the time, synthetic oil and all the other top-quality maintenance stuff.

I'm curious as to which option package you're getting. I went with the SR5 package, which unfortunately has an open rear diff. I'm wondering how the limited-slip that comes with the Off-road package works for the winter. Just curious, because I found that I was using the 4-hi quite a bit last winter. Wondering if the limited slip would allow me to keep it in 2wd more.

It is a good vehicle to drive, comfortable for road trips, and really nice road manners for a truck. Good luck with the purchase, and let us know what you get.

Im looking primarily at the TRD offroad package, but I do like the hood scoops the TRD sport package has. SR5 is the TRD sport correct? Its a little confusing as it looks like options packages in the US are different than in Canada. Thanks for the info and ill make sure I get something with LSD.

kaput
10-08-2007, 08:43 PM

Sailz
10-08-2007, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by kaput
Don't get an SR5 it is not the same as TRD sport, the TRD costs just a bit more but it includes all the mechanical goodies like the LSD/locker, transmission cooler, etc. Most tacos on the road are TRD for a reason. Let me know how well the importing goes for you. I've wanted a truck forever and keep changing my mind because of the limited financing options on an imported truck.

Thats exactly why I looked to south of the border. I would normally not be able to justify a $40k truck but for getting one that I really like with low mileage for around or under $24k I can. I' am still curious about the duty charge and whether or not I will be required to pay it as these new tacomas are assembled in California.

kaput
10-08-2007, 09:00 PM

Aleks
10-08-2007, 09:19 PM
I have glossed over some threads on various forms about frame cracking on the FJ cruisers. Any truth to that?

Sailz
10-08-2007, 09:48 PM
I think you still need to pay duty. I haven't gone through the importing threads but I think duty is more or less GST so you still have to pay it. Someone else can confirm. If your able to find them for $24k let me know because I haven't seen one that interested me for under $30k.

As far as my understanding with the fees it was 6% no matter what but then if its made outside of NA then you are charged another 6.1% duty. I have been looking at the trucks with around 10-30 thousand miles as those people have already eaten alot of the depreciation. I have found many on ebay as well as the auto trader.

b_t
10-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Don't get an SR5 it is not the same as TRD sport, the TRD costs just a bit more but it includes all the mechanical goodies like the LSD/locker, transmission cooler, etc. Most tacos on the road are TRD for a reason. Let me know how well the importing goes for you. I've wanted a truck forever and keep changing my mind because of the limited financing options on an imported truck.

SR5 - body color moldings, hood scoop, V6

TRD sport - off road suspension, rear locking differential, tow package (can haul a bit more), power plug in the bed, no hood scoop, TRD decal

TRD Yamaha edition - most of the same interior options as the X Runner, so nicer then the TRD Sport, a slightly different TRD decal, no off road suspension so it rides better, no tow package, TRD exhaust that sounds really nice ahaha, upgraded stereo

I got the TRD Yamaha package because it comes with all the interior features of the TRD Sport package, but you save a bunch of money because you aren't paying for the suspension, tow package, or differential. It limits you to a 6 speed standard and three bright colors, but hey. Works fine for me. It looks like the Yamaha package was a limited time deal and has been discontinued for '08 though, and all the options it had over the Sport have been added to the sport package.

Mangina
10-09-2007, 07:14 AM
I've heard that the FJ is pretty gutless.