PDA

View Full Version : I have a question!!!

evan_the_king
10-08-2007, 05:28 PM
I drive a 1992 Lumina z34, and I kinda got into an accident with it, this dumb bitch ahead slammed on her breaks because she wasnt paying attention, anyways, prior to the accident, the body of the car was in very good shape, the paint is still really nice, not a spot of rust, it ran good, it stalls alot, but it runs overall good. When I hit that bitch, i was doing 40 km/h and I completely destroyed her '01 alero, my car doesnt look that bad, i need a new bumper cover and supports, new front ground effects and a new grill (and some small that doesnt really matter) the hood is fine, both fenders are fine it still runs great, the rad is fine.

so I thought no problem, insurance will fix it... no... its a write off...WTF!!! NO! I love this car, its my favourite car! and so I was shocked when they said it would cost over $4,000 to fix. I am a college student so I dont have that kind of money, does anyone have any advice or maybe some cheap used parts for sale? because i really dont want to give up my car...HELP!

you can see the pictures at http://www.s2studios.net/myz34.html

RZRSHARP_SVX
10-08-2007, 05:30 PM
pick and pull

infected
10-08-2007, 05:32 PM
What else needs to be done for $4000? Just cosmetics is four grand??

urban.one
10-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Did you mean to say that you werent paying attention? Sounds like you rear ended her.

Originally posted by evan_the_king
I drive a 1992 Lumina z34, and I kinda got into an accident with it, this dumb bitch ahead slammed on her breaks because she wasnt paying attention

Annoyingrob
10-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by urban.one
Did you mean to say that you werent paying attention? Sounds like you rear ended her.

You know, I was thinking that too, but I'm going to let it slide for once.......

So, the insurance company is scrapping the car, and paying you out for it? What you can do is buy it back from them, and fix it yourself. Like was said above, go to the scrap yard. You'll probably find a lot of parts for that car. As long as your frame rails aren't bent it sounds like they're perfect), you should be in good shape. Shouldn't cost more then maybe $200 for the parts you need in the junkyard.

4 grand, I can believe that. I had some lady smash into the side of my car and drive off. $3000 worth of repairs for a dented door, and replaced quarter panel. It would have been a write-off on a 16 year old car, but I have it appraised for like $8,000 or something.

evan_the_king
10-09-2007, 08:36 AM
I already look t pick n' pull, these cars are pretty hard to find, there arent too many around, i think that is why it costs so much, and the standard lumina bumper doesnt fit. Uggh...

G-ZUS
10-09-2007, 08:37 AM
How about aftermarket?

Jayson
10-09-2007, 09:30 AM
wow i would suggest taking it to another appraiser... or talking to the appraiser that looked at your car and explain to him/her that you do not want to write the car off, and that you only want it in working order...

I remember when my civic got hit on my quarter panel they wanted $4500... and they wanted to write the car off.. so i found a shop that would do it for $3000, and he agreed to change the appraisal...

good luck man...

How much are they willing to give you for the write off anyways?

TomcoPDR
10-09-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by evan_the_king
I already look t pick n' pull, these cars are pretty hard to find, there arent too many around, i think that is why it costs so much, and the standard lumina bumper doesnt fit. Uggh...

Yea, those are pretty hard to find. Try some GM club sites with W-body or N-body.

canuckcarguy
10-09-2007, 11:04 AM
If they write it off, and you fix it, keep in mind that you have to do everything correctly, including fixing any frame damage, because this car will have to undergo a pretty strict write-off inspection when you're done. It's likely not as easy as bolting on a couple of parts. Unless you know what you're doing, you could end up with a big heap of crap on your hands. If all it was going to take was a new bumper and new grill, there wouldn't be a $4K bill on it.

If they're going to pay you out (ie, if you had collision coverage), just buy an equivalent car to replace your lumina. Maintain some distance between you and the car in front, and you should be fine.