PDA

View Full Version : What is the proper thing to do here? (driving mechanics)

slink95
10-08-2007, 10:20 PM
I was driving on the highway, when I went to switch lanes, to the right one. After I entered the lane, the vehicle ahead of me came to a sudden stop. I barely had enough time to come to a stop as well. As we both had to make sudden stops, the vehicle behind me came close to not having enough distance to stop. I don't enjoy these kind of situations, and I'd be happy if someone with enough experience could give me some pointers.

mark4091
10-08-2007, 10:44 PM
crank you're wheel to the left.

edit-I thought you had been driving for 3 years or something why would you ask this?

TomcoPDR
10-09-2007, 02:59 AM
You should look into hiring a personal driver http://forums.beyond.ca/st/193033/does-this-make-me-a-bad-driver/

Mitsu3000gt
10-09-2007, 08:29 AM
Is this for real? leave more room between you and the car infront of you.

picmerollin
10-09-2007, 08:39 AM
you take the steering wheel, and pull back. if you pull hard enough at the exact right moment you car will jump over the car in front of you and then the car behind you will hit him and you can get to your unicorn convention without a scratch.

oh i have to go and get my headlight fluid flushed?? anybody know a good place to go??

urban.one
10-09-2007, 08:49 AM
Too many possible variations on the scenario you described BUT my guess is that you squeezed in between the two cars when there was not enough space to do so safely. The car that was behind was probably following at a distance slightly larger than what the minimum safe distance would be. You probably incorrectly judge the distance to be larger than it was, pulled in between the two cars, and then the car in front braked. A lot of people follow too close on the highways especially when traffic gets heavier. It happens to me all the time where people pull in infront of me and then I have to slow down otherwise Im right on their arse.

Originally posted by slink95
I was driving on the highway, when I went to switch lanes, to the right one. After I entered the lane, the vehicle ahead of me came to a sudden stop. I barely had enough time to come to a stop as well. As we both had to make sudden stops, the vehicle behind me came close to not having enough distance to stop. I don't enjoy these kind of situations, and I'd be happy if someone with enough experience could give me some pointers.

topmade
10-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Always leave enough room for emergency braking distance. Of course this is not always the case because as 99% of us gain driving experience we also gain confidence in our driving skills and think we don't need as much braking distance anymore.