PDA

View Full Version : How much did you pay for scheduled maintenance at 24,000 km?

6star
10-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Centaur Subaru in Calgary quoted $325 for the service of my 05 Legacy. They said their hourly labour rate is $96. Subaru Canada recommends 2 hours for the service.

What is your experience with dealers or shops? Thanks.

max_boost
10-09-2007, 12:12 AM
Are you sure you want to pay $325 for this?

If you want to be safe, then sure. Just remember, Subaru's are simple enough that any place can do the work.

I'm approaching 24,000kms too and all I'm doing is replacing the air filter and getting my oil changed. I take my cars to Tire Craft on Macleod (by Acura) or any Mr. Lube

http://www.subaru.ca/Content/7907/media/en-ca/download/MaintenaceGuide.pdf
Every 6,000 km

* Replace engine oil and filter
* Inspect and adjust all fluid levels including both differentials
* Inspect and adjust all tire pressures
* Inspect operation of all lights, wipers and washers
* Inspect and adjust clutch clearance (if applicable)
* Inspect and adjust drive belt tension
* Inspect axle boot condition
* Lubricate all latches, hinges & locks (hood, doors, fuel door & trunk lid)
* Road test vehicle

At 24,000 km All items listed at "Every 6,000 km service" plus:

* Replace air filter(s)
* Rotate tires and inspect for wear. Perform wheel alignment if necessary. (Additional charge)
* Lubricate all weather strips including sun roof
* Service and lubricate front and rear calipers
* Inspect brake pads and linings
* Inspect, service and adjust parking brake system
* Inspect all steering and suspension components
* Inspect and service battery cables and terminals
* Test engine coolant for strength (-45°C) and inspect hoses and clamps
* Reset Engine Control Management System

6star
10-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Thanks, max_boost. I definitely do not want to pay $325 for the 24k service. This is why I was asking in this forum.

The service seems like winter check-up plus air filter replacement. Subaru of Hamilton charges $90 for winter check-up. It costed $50 last year. Why Subaru dealers in Calgary or Alberta want customers to pay so much more for services?

reeskm
10-29-2007, 10:01 PM
I heard a rumor that Centaur subaru has a bad service department. I hear that City Subaru in the NE has a much better reputation. Maybe get a second opinion there?

RickDaTuner
10-29-2007, 11:46 PM
Scheduled service performed by dealers is nothing more than a money grab, there is nothing done to your car that will truly increase the life of it, other than regular oil changes and air filter replacements when they are due.
If you own a car like an STi for example, you do need to have your brakes serviced constantly, the 4 four piston brembos, if not maintained will cease and cause irregular pad wear, such as the left inner pistons wearing down the pad material well before the left outer or complete right side.
Other than that lubricating door latches and all that other jazz can be done repeatedly at a fraction of the cost a dealer would charge you. Further more what you are charged is just quoted time, a technician will be able to finish the job in about 45 min

freeeked
11-13-2007, 06:38 PM
$325 ahh I could only dream. Get this.....

I just bought a 2006 wrx and took it in for its 4*k service. Now they had the usual list of stuff fluids, rotation, etc.

A one day service (I can't see more than 3-4 hours work there). I can put a list together. but the grand total.....

$635 ..... I bought a used CRX a while back for $500 and drove it for 2 years. I read the fine print and ths base service is $625. wtf

That was Calgary Subaru.
Had the car inspected at Centaur and they left the e-brake off and it rolled in to another car (no big deal the bumper popped out). But I had to fight with the service manager as he tried to deny it. Yikes. I hate to say I am missing my hondas.

Anybody out there have any ideas for alternative maintenance options.

EK 2.0
11-13-2007, 07:00 PM
the 24,000 service at Subaru is an oil change a fuel injection service and if required an Air Filter change. As well as a once over of the car and all joints hinges getting lubricated.

Whether or not you wanna do it at a dealer is up to you...but just make sure whoever does it gives you a record of doing so for any warranty issues that may arise down the road for you.

SigmaRacing
12-16-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm due for this service in the spring and I'm going to take it to Allmakes in the north east. They have great service and the prices are much better. Centaur's service department is a joke and Subaru of Calgary in the NE is always booked up too far in advance for me. Just my $0.02.

option-import
12-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Season's greetings everyone,
We've recently opened a shop in the old Tirecraft Macleod Trail location and would love to have you guys come by and try us out for your servicing needs. We do factory recommended servicing as well as our own spring and fall performance inspection services. We have extensive dealership experience and offer competitive pricing below dealership costs. Please feel free to contact us for any questions you may have.

Jim

SigmaRacing
12-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Seeing as this is a Subaru forum, would you like to post what the 24,000kms service cost would be at "Option Import Auto & Tire"?