PDA

View Full Version : radar trap after photo location?

littledan
10-09-2007, 09:08 AM
any advice? this happened in hurtmonton btw.

so i was coming down 127ave this weekend and noticed a photo truck. i slowed down from 60 to 50 and passed the truck. about 1.5 blocks later i was speeding up for the change from the 50 zone to the 60 zone at about 115st. BOOM a cn rail police jumps out and pulls me over for 72 in a 50. anyone else think that is bullshit?

is there a minimum distance after a photo location before a radar trap can be set? seems like they should put the radar pullover first so that peolpe dont get 2 tickets for the same offence?

kaput
10-09-2007, 09:20 AM

groundpilot
10-09-2007, 09:28 AM
As far as I know they can have as many speed traps in a row as they want... Thats just smart policing...

How is doing 72 in a 50 speeding up to 60... Might want to rethink your argument for court...

Mibz
10-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by kaput
How does a CN rail employee have the authority to write traffic tickets? Maybe we're assuming he's driving a car when he's actually a train conductor!

littledan
10-09-2007, 10:26 AM
CN rail police have ability to pull over for traffic violations under the Sherrif legislation. aslo any peace officer can pull you over now too

teggypimp95
10-09-2007, 10:29 AM
They are smart to do that for 2 reasons.

So people who get use to where the photo redar is usually parked will only slow down for that section then speed up.

And so people who change from 50 to 60 before the zone had offically started. In your case you went to 72 before that 60 had even started. So your pretty much screwed and lesson learned :)

cherpintow
10-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Don't speed.

littledan
10-09-2007, 10:38 AM
i also heard something about them not supposed to put a radar trap in transition zones? in this case i could literally see the 60 sign when they stepped out to pull me in. i wouldnt be upset if they gave me a 72 in a 60 fair enough... but to say its still a 50 zone is pretty chapped ifyou ask me.

BrknFngrs
10-09-2007, 10:41 AM
^^ speed limit is 50 until ya pass that sign saying it's 60

teggypimp95
10-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Are you kidding? It is the best for them to put them in transition zones. Because lots of people like you speed up when they can see the sign, not when they get to the sign.

And even if this was the case, you got a ticket for 72 in a 50 not 60 in a 50 lol.

canuckcarguy
10-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Sounds dirty to me for them to ticket in two locations so close together, but I'm not sure how you're going to appear reasonable to the judge when you were speeding regardless of whether you were in the 50 or the 60 zone. How close were you to the sign?

If you can convince the judge that you truly believed it had already become a 60 zone, he might reduce the charge to 12 over, but you'll have to be pretty convincing. On your side, though, is that you weren't speeding when you passed the photo van, so at least you can say you were being by-and-large law abiding.

Go to court, the prosecutor will likely reduce the charge to 15 over without any argument. And buy a good radar detector.

calgarys_finest
10-09-2007, 11:26 AM
also did the the ticket say estimated? a cn rail officer shouldnt have a speed gun so if he estimated your speed that might be a out. i got that once i had no lights on 45 mins before sunset i thought it was still bright enough out and the cop gave me a estimated speeding ticket when he was across the street at 7-11 walking to his car as i drove by.

Annoyingrob
10-09-2007, 01:20 PM
I once had a police car follow me for a while, then pass me on the highway, only to have an undercover car right behind him (still behind me) hoping I would speed and follow the cop. I thought it was the smartest idea ever.

Them police are using their noggins.

infected
10-09-2007, 02:32 PM
At least you didn't get the photo ticket before being pulled over. CPS has been setting up double traps for a while now.

Toms-SC
10-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Haha. Pwnt.

TNation
10-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by infected
At least you didn't get the photo ticket before being pulled over. CPS has been setting up double traps for a while now.

so I've heard, thats brutal! anyone seen one of those??

Mitsu3000gt
10-09-2007, 04:43 PM
It's a very common tactic to set up traps in close proximity for the exact reason you got caught. It makes them a lot of money and catches people who don't learn.

st184
10-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Don't speed if you don't want tickets.

littledan
10-09-2007, 04:52 PM
whoever says dont speed if you dont want tickets....

i DARE you to come to edmonton and not speed for 1 complete day. you will get ran the fuck off the road by a rig pig high on crack drving a 1997 dodge ram 2500 wearing a baseball cap and jean jacket yelling and swearing at you.

its how we roll.

Prolifique
10-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Honestly they are in for the last buck, I mean I got two for going over 10km so 60 in a 50 zone . Atleast be reasonable

As well where is a good place to try and cancel out some tickets. I mean I got a parking ticket for being some (incheS) away from the curb.. I bet if I had a damn tim hortons coupon on my windshield they would have seen it a mile away.

95EagleAWD
10-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by littledan
whoever says dont speed if you dont want tickets....

i DARE you to come to edmonton and not speed for 1 complete day. you will get ran the fuck off the road by a rig pig high on crack drving a 1997 dodge ram 2500 wearing a baseball cap and jean jacket yelling and swearing at you.

its how we roll.

Boo fucking hoo.

I speed everywhere and if I get caught, tough shit.

Pay to play.

reno97637
10-09-2007, 06:14 PM
I remember one morning on Shaganappi, there were three speed traps between John Laurie and a little after the Crowchild exits. A lot of cars were pulled over.

lilmira
10-09-2007, 06:27 PM
We all speed but not all of us get caught, go figure.

They might be tricky but the speed limit is posted clearly. You chose to speed and got caught, well that's the game and you failed.

Is it bullshit that we all speed after speed traps?

GoChris
10-09-2007, 06:29 PM
um...even if he got you in the 60 zone, you were still doing 72....so um...what's your problem?

GTS Jeff
10-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Boo fucking hoo.

I speed everywhere and if I get caught, tough shit.

Pay to play. That's a pretty self-centred view of things. Notice how your post revolves around you?

The problem with your idea is that you think everyone is just like you. Well, they're not.

95EagleAWD
10-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
That's a pretty self-centred view of things. Notice how your post revolves around you?

The problem with your idea is that you think everyone is just like you. Well, they're not.

Psssh, whatever... you're going on my ignore list now. :poosie:

Toms-SC
10-09-2007, 07:36 PM

Psssh, whatever... you're going on my ignore list now. :poosie:

Thats my line. Please don't use it. k tanks.

95EagleAWD
10-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

Thats my line. Please don't use it. k tanks.

Tanks?

TANKS!?!?!

I make Tanks for breakfast!!!!

Ben
10-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Very common, happens all the time on the Highway (especially long weekends heading west towards Banff.) They'll have 3 or 4 setups in a 5-6km span, they annihilate so many people. 8500 X50 FTMFW! Based on my experiences, they like to camp out at the bottom of the hill approaching the weigh station, on the crest of the rise after that low area with the weigh station, at the top of the big table top hill shortly after, and then again at the bottom of that tabletop as it makes a long downhill left and into the foothills. Seen this the past two long weekends. People never learn, and I get great joy in seeing them own the minivans and big trucks towing campers and boats at a buck 50. A strong wind gust turns your family getaway into a family remembrance ceremony. Fools.

They also enjoy sitting at the multiple speed changes as you enter the city from the west on 16th ave, generally a Multanova followed by a car or two with Laser at the bottom of the hill.

As for being owned by the CP Rail Police, yeah, that sucks.

Re: CN/CP Rail police

In Canada Officers and Members are Federally Sworn under section 158 of the Canada Transportation Act and have powers as Police Constables and have the same powers of arrest as any police officer in Canada relating to offences covered under Section 495 of the Criminal Code of Canada and as well are defined under Section 2 of the Criminal Code as 'Peace Officers' in Canada. Their federal oath of office primarily directs their duties 'on and along' the lines of the Canadian National Railway. Officers also have special provincial appointments which allow for them to extend provincial enforcement outside the boundaries set under the Canada Transportation Act.

Their primary duty is to protect rail commerce and the rail infrastructure. Three main focused mandates of the CN Police are:

* Traffic Enforcement and Collision investigation to reduce deaths and injuries along the rail lines and on rail properties
* Criminal Investigation and Crime Prevention Related Intiatives
* Public Safety and Awareness Education

GTS Jeff
10-09-2007, 10:16 PM

Psssh, whatever... you're going on my ignore list now. :poosie: Censorship breeds ignorance.