PDA

View Full Version : tv help!

Delmar
10-09-2007, 10:45 AM
I think I'll be picking up a 50 inch plasma in a week or so and I'm torn between 2 sets.... the Panasonic TH-50PZ700 and the Samsung FP-T5084...both 50 inch, both 1080p, both around the same price (my budget is about 3400 bucks), and I've read good reviews on both tvs.

I'm leaning toward the samsung because of the higher contrast ratio...but it'll probably choose the one I like when I take a look at them side by side.

So what do you think? Are there any other tv's that I've overlooked? Which one do you think is nicer cosmetically?

It'll be used for high def. movies and standard def. cable...with the occasional game...I value movie picture quality over cable...

I'm also pretty sure I want a plasma over an lcd or rear projection

any advice is welcome!! thanks!!:D

st184
10-09-2007, 10:58 AM
I would personally go with LCD, they are a little more pricey but more compact and aren't as vulnerable to burn-in. When I looked for my TV I wanted to find something with a black frame because I found it "popped" the picture more and added a sleeker look. I have a Acer 32" LCD that I bought when I worked at Circuit City and love it, I don't think I will ever go for anything else.

Hope this helped,
Dre

DGill
10-09-2007, 11:04 AM
panasonic ftw, i worked at futureshop and seen both the tv's in action and the panasonic won me over, personally i think its the best tv available right now,

ecstasy_civic
10-09-2007, 10:20 PM
Pana hands down, its all I have in my house and all I would recommend.

That tv in 58" will be gracing my walls in Feb.:drool:

cityhunter2501
10-09-2007, 10:26 PM
arent panasonic and pioneer the top plasma hdtv maker atm?

ecstasy_civic
10-09-2007, 10:37 PM
That is correct.

Pioneer makes great tv's theyre just alot more expensive (for the elite)

Impreza
10-09-2007, 10:43 PM
I just picked up a 42" Panasonic Plasma and I couldn't be happier. I did TONS of research and in terms of bang for the buck, it's hard to beat.

eblend
10-10-2007, 08:20 AM
If you plan to play any games on it, then I wouldn't go plasma. Its your preference really. Plasma is great for movies and such, but playing games on it would lead to burn in and nasty fade out of an image if it stays there for a lenght of time

Xtrema
10-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by eblend
If you plan to play any games on it, then I wouldn't go plasma. Its your preference really. Plasma is great for movies and such, but playing games on it would lead to burn in and nasty fade out of an image if it stays there for a lenght of time

I can vouch for that for models as recent as 6-8 months ago.

The burn in is there, while not permanent, takes a long ass time to go away.

But LCD has nothing on the picture contrast and richness of plasma. Top Sharp and Sony models are close but Panny Plasma is still a bit better.