PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Question

Janice
10-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Not sure if this is the right area to post my question so please move it if it's not.

I drive a 95 Mazda MX3 and have the opportunity to lower her by swapping suspension with a friend. The drop is only about an inch and a half or so. I want to be able to drive my car in the winter and I hear that in Calgary the streets aren't plowed unless there is more than 4 inches of snow. I have kickass winter tires and haven't got stuck once, and I'm from Winnipeg.

The question is would lowering the car make it un-driveable in a typical Calgary winter?

Thank you

KRyn
10-09-2007, 11:36 AM
No lowering your car by that much will not make it anymore difficult to drive here in Calgary during winter in my opinion. During winter I find speed bumps easier if anything to get over. As for the streets I have never had any trouble driving while it has snowed or after.

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-09-2007, 04:53 PM
I drive pretty low... no problems here in the winter... you'll just be doing some plowing for the city :thumbsup:

EK 2.0
10-09-2007, 09:23 PM
you will be fine...

BUT in the event you do have issues...PM...I'll take care of getting you around the city.

403civic
10-09-2007, 09:30 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
E-mack
BTW you should have no problems in the winter

KRyn
10-09-2007, 09:33 PM
The E-Mack is always hard at work, working some sweet sweet magic.

ca18det240sx
10-09-2007, 09:35 PM
I like lowered cars in the winter, i find them more responsive, easier to control, predictable.

Weapon_R
10-09-2007, 09:36 PM
What exactly are you going to swap? Keep in mind that you may not want to use your friends worn shocks. It would be best to buy new ones.

Driving on a 1.5" drop will probably be exactly the same. You'll be fine, the roads are pretty good in winter time.

mikey008
10-09-2007, 10:52 PM
My car was dropped 2 inches and i drove it in winter just fine! So don't worry about it!

Janice
10-10-2007, 07:09 AM
I know my MX3 friend well and he only just bought the struts and springs over the summer, an Eibach Pro kit. He's only used them I think 3 months. Is that something to worry about?

Thanks E-mack, you always know how to treat a lady

Supa Dexta
10-10-2007, 07:26 AM
calgary doesn't get much snow, you should be fine especially with new tires...

rc2002
10-10-2007, 12:13 PM
I'd worry more about ride quality and safety than driving in the winter time. You can easily get away with lowered cars in the winter time.

What kind of struts are they? Proper damping is really important if you like to corner fast. My CRX handled worse after I installed eibach sport springs - very unpredictable and bouncing everywhere in the corners. It was dangerous as hell. Lowered doesn't always equate to better handling.

Janice
10-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Yeah my buddy who I may be getting the springs and struts from said the handling is amazing, but the ride is pretty rough. Isn't that usually the case that the lower you go the more rough the ride is going to be?

I don't know the make of the struts, I am sure they are something decent though.

In Winnipeg if you have a lowered car you are parking it for the winter, no questions asked. I am glad to hear it is a different story in Calgary.