PDA

View Full Version : Which winter tires would you choose?

Canadian 2.5RS
10-09-2007, 05:08 PM
I am getting some winter tires and i'm wondering which ones my fellow beyond members suggest. The choices are:

Hankook icebear W300
Hankook W409 Winter i*Pike
Kumho KW21
Kumho KW11

Thanks

Graham_A_M
10-09-2007, 08:42 PM
just go to www.1010tires.com and you can do online compairisons there. :)

canuckcarguy
11-29-2007, 09:27 PM
You probably bought your tires already, but if you haven't, I'd say look at the Hankook icebear W300. I bought a set for my Benz, they were super cheap and they are excellent on the ice. Apparently, they're not the best snow tire (still miles better than all-seasons), but they're unbelievable on ice. For Alberta, I figure that's the more important criterion anyway... I brought them in from the US, saved about 20%.

VetteRacin
11-30-2007, 12:12 AM
Out of that list i would say Hankook W409 Winter i*Pike b/c they are also cheap and work exceptionally well ( know this from experience with them)

mo_money2supe
11-30-2007, 12:19 AM
I have studded Hankook icebear W300s on my Civic and I have to admit, they're the best tires for grip I've tried from most of the popular winter tires I've driven on (ie. Garrits, X-Ice's, Hakkepeliitta's, etc). Having said that though, they SUCK for handling. Yes, I know these are winter tires and aren't meant for handling anyway, but the sidewalls are just simply too weak. The car feels like it wobbles all over the place with even the slightest jerk of the steering wheel. If you're simply looking for grip, go for the W300s; otherwise, I'd suggest looking elsewhere.

LUCKYSTRIKE
11-30-2007, 12:27 AM
I just got some Khumo KW21's put on my car and I couldn't be happier. Got em for an awesome price from Urban Expressions Wheel and Tire and a super fast install, highly recommend tirebob.

al-ti2d
11-30-2007, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by LUCKYSTRIKE
I just got some Khumo KW21's put on my car and I couldn't be happier. Got em for an awesome price from Urban Expressions Wheel and Tire and a super fast install, highly recommend tirebob.

bob recommended the very same to me as well. the KW21s are a very good tire and a very good investment

canuckcarguy
11-30-2007, 12:04 PM
I don't find the Icebears all that wobbly, but then I'm not tracking my car in the winter. But I didn't stud mine, and they have all the grip in the world, even with high hp and rear wheel drive.

Also paid about half of what I was being quoted for Blizzaks locallly...

max_boost
11-30-2007, 04:47 PM
Aren't the speed ratings different on each of them?

Decide on what speed rating you want and then narrow it down. I have the W300 Ice Bears on my SLK and they are a pretty decent tire and price is by far the cheapest.

pf0sh0
11-30-2007, 04:53 PM
What do you guys think of NEXEN winter tires?:confused:

autosm
12-01-2007, 01:45 AM
I have the Hankook I pike and they are very good .

Low noise and very good traction on ice .

I expect better/longer wear than a Blizzak type tire .

Price was almost the cheapest out there .

Car rides and handles on dry pavement like all season tires .

Quieter than the x ice that I ran last winter and 40% less $

I chose it because its a bit more aggressive for deep snow .

I have also had the KW19 and can say its very good for the money .

Any winter tire will be 4 times better than all season tires .

4bier
12-01-2007, 07:30 AM
nokians

icecreamvan
12-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Canadian 2.5RS
I am getting some winter tires and i'm wondering which ones my fellow beyond members suggest. The choices are:

Hankook icebear W300
Hankook W409 Winter i*Pike
Kumho KW21
Kumho KW11

Thanks

Originally posted by 4bier
nokians

Not very good at multiple choice, are you?
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: