PDA

View Full Version : looka me!!!

Paul
07-09-2003, 10:34 AM
Don't know if anyone was in the area but I got pulled over in the south last night. I was driving by myself when i noticed a cop car behind me. Well not 10 seconds later the lights come on, then another cop car with his lights and siren blaring comes rippin up behind the first car that pulled me over.

2 young cops bust out of their patrol cars, do a walk around my car, obviously lookin for anything they can ticket me for. One cop looks at my back window and reads my sticker "i know, i know...pull over" and laughs and points it out to the other officer. Well the other cop didn't think it was that funny. He comes up and starts bitching me out about my exhaust tip being to large and shiney....okay. I hand him my licence, insurance, and registration. Now we have a problem, piggy can't grasp the concept that I live in Lethbridge during the school year (address on my insurance) and live in Calgary during the summer months (address on my licence and registration).

Goes back to the cop car, starts making some phone calls, prolly to see which Tim's has the hottest coffee at the time, and about half hour later he comes to my window and says " here's your ticket, you have the chance to fight it, i suggest you take your exahaust off." he then explains that i can drive without my exhaust...which i thought was illegal. It's funny that a cop harley davidson is actually louder than my car.

The fine = $115.00
The embarrassment of having 2 cop cars sitting behind you for half an hour looking like they're about to arrest you while lots of traffic drives by....priceless.

Hope no one else get's the prick that pulled me over, there was no need to pull me over, i was obeying the limit, i was driving very carefully ( i haven't had a demerit moving violation in 4.5 years).

Here's a pic of my "giant" exhaust.

ecstasy_civic
07-09-2003, 10:56 AM
ahahahha you gave me a huge laugh this morning lol.
good post lol.

PS: is that a new decal? or old picture?

James
07-09-2003, 11:01 AM
Thats Brutal..but hey thier just doing thier job :rolleyes:...I always see several cop cars pull over 1 vehicle, happened to a friend of mine a couple weeks ago ( theken), 4 cops, 2 bikes and 1 car for a burnt out Tail light. no ticket, but they made up wait on the side of Mcleod for 15 mintues.

James
07-09-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
ahahahha you gave me a huge laugh this morning lol.
good post lol.

PS: is that a new decal? or old picture?

The Decal is on the top of the back window.

ecstasy_civic
07-09-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by James

The Decal is on the top of the back window.

no no on the side of the car, i thought i remembered something different on the side.

ya there just doing there job:rofl: give them a break lol. they didnt help me one bit when i got my car broken into. fuckers.

Paul
07-09-2003, 11:07 AM
okay but in my defence, having a clear driving record for 4.5 years and driving the car that i do should have some merit. I know the cop ran the plates, he woulda seen that there have not been any tickets issued against me and that i am a safe driver. The fact that he kept me there for half hour and bitched me out made me mad, not the fact that i got the ticket that i clearly deserved, but 115 bux seemed a lil' steep to me.

ecstasy_civic
07-09-2003, 11:09 AM
ya ive been pulled over a few times and i always ALWAYS have to wait for like 20min-45 min.
its retarded i mean im getting a ticket for blue signal lights, my 149 in a 60 took less time!!

Weapon_R
07-09-2003, 11:15 AM
Fight the ticket. You have nothing to lose, and 115 dollars to gain.

Paul
07-09-2003, 11:18 AM
yeah i was thinkin of fighting it....but i did have the exhaust on my car, so how do you fight that??? it's not like fighting a speeding ticket where there can be human error on the cop's part.

PS the cop had a band-aid on his face, hope no one get's him, he spits when he talks.

Abom
07-09-2003, 11:45 AM
It really depends how loud your exhaust is. Some exhausts can be really LOUD even if the RPMs are low. Without ever hearing it, I can't say if the ticket was justified.

GDCivicSi
07-09-2003, 11:53 AM
hahahahaha.
you deserved it.
put your stock exhaust back on.

ryder_23
07-09-2003, 12:06 PM
Their no demeritts i believe on a ticket like this, so go fight it to get a reduction or canceld completly.

Paul
07-09-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by GDCivicSi
hahahahaha.
you deserved it.
put your stock exhaust back on.

Raymond you dick!!!

Next time we're together and we see a cop, i'm gonna tell him your car's bottle fed!!!!:burnout:

88CRX
07-09-2003, 01:39 PM
i wonder how long this thread will last till it get locked?

rage2
07-09-2003, 01:43 PM
hehe I finally got my first "ricer ticket" too :). Actually, my dad did, driving my 944. Enlarged exhaust tip!

Oh well, gotta find a stock exhaust for the 944 to fix that shit up.

Scat
07-09-2003, 02:04 PM
Hey Paul
I think I saw you at Rona on Monday at the Macleod and southland location.

Very nice car

B17a
07-09-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Abom
It really depends how loud your exhaust is. Some exhausts can be really LOUD even if the RPMs are low. Without ever hearing it, I can't say if the ticket was justified.

Isn't the ticket for the size and not the volume though?

lammer
07-09-2003, 06:14 PM
what does the sticker on your back window say?

ecstasy_civic
07-09-2003, 06:17 PM
"I know I know pull over"

THREE40SEVEN
07-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by B17a

Isn't the ticket for the size and not the volume though?
Yeah, but the larger the tip, the louder the exhasut right?:rolleyes:
Thats a law that should be re written..

lammer
07-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
"I know I know pull over"

Oh haha I thought thats what Paul said when the cop was laughing at his sticker.

MYKN
07-09-2003, 06:28 PM
Wow thats such a great story!! :)

Ichigo
07-09-2003, 06:31 PM
WTF???!? You can get tickets for big exhausts?? That's like saying you JAYWALKED on a green light!! Man.. .. When did that ticket thing start with the exhausts??

pulse_crx
07-09-2003, 07:08 PM
This person I know got an enlarged exhaust ticket for a tip(from canadian tire) on a stock exhaust. Considering it doesnt affect the exhaust one bit, they are going to fight it.

lammer
07-09-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Ichigo
WTF???!? You can get tickets for big exhausts?? That's like saying you JAYWALKED on a green light!! Man.. .. When did that ticket thing start with the exhausts??

Yeah you do get tickets for it..Rage2 posted somewhere what is illegal on the exaust.

three.eighteen.
07-09-2003, 07:52 PM
heh, just run a stock muffler but disconnected and just run the exhaust open...take that size pigs...

CRX crazy
07-09-2003, 08:47 PM
welcome to the stupidest ticket ever club paul, i got one going down mcloed by midnapore back in the crx days he gave me the whole over stock size speech then told me after he wrote my ticket he was going after my friend to get her too. Thank god for 2 ways at least one of us didn't get a ticket that night.

Redlyne_mr2
07-09-2003, 08:57 PM
Hmm, what if you had a silencer in your exhaust, wonder id theyd still pull you over

sxtasy
07-09-2003, 09:36 PM
does anybody know what the actual law on exhaust is??:dunno:

EstoMax
07-09-2003, 09:55 PM
you could just put a stock exhaust thats not hooked up and hide the main one behind it under the car, is that possible actually?

max

Paul
07-10-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Hmm, what if you had a silencer in your exhaust, wonder id theyd still pull you over

I asked the officer about if a silencer would make a difference and his responce was

"no the ticket i issued is because your muffler is to large and to shiney. i could give you another ticket (donut crumbs fall from his mouth) for your car being loud, but i'm a dumb fuck so...."

okay so i exagerated a little but you get the jist:confused:

Johnny@CustomAuto
07-10-2003, 10:01 PM
Yeah, I got ticket for that about 6 years ago. That law has always been around. My ticket was about $60.00, I can't beileve it's doubled. You'd have to run into quite a jackass cop to ticket you for this, but they can.

Here's the actual law.

Sec 46; Paragraph 4) No person shall drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine equipped with a muffler, the exhaust outlet of which has been opened or widened.

I also posted the link the whole Alberta Highway Traffic Act somewhere on this site, but I'll do it again.

http://www.canlii.org/ab/sta/csa/20030217/r.s.a.2000c.h-8/whole.html

Ichigo
07-11-2003, 12:00 AM
Wow... Opened or widened exhaust...

Damn... Oh well.. Too bad for me if I get pulled and ticketed.. The officer goes.. "Your exhaust is too big"... I go.. "I cant help it.. My pipings the same diameter throughout the car"... I think it's stock.. :poosie:

Weapon_R
07-11-2003, 01:11 AM

No they won't. Only ricers get pulled over because they install a cherry bomb style muffler on their car so that it sounds loud as hell.

I've had an enlarged exhaust tip for years, but my catback is only very slightly louder than stock. Never even had an issue. By the way, my tip is shiny stainless steel and very noticable, so it's not like it's hard to see or anything.

Slow5Oh
07-11-2003, 01:48 AM
Man your exhaust tip is huge;) . Sorry about the fine man. I guess I will not be installing my coffe can exhaust tips this weekend :nut: .

Aleks
07-11-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

No they won't. Only ricers get pulled over because they install a cherry bomb style muffler on their car so that it sounds loud as hell.

I've had an enlarged exhaust tip for years, but my catback is only very slightly louder than stock. Never even had an issue. By the way, my tip is shiny stainless steel and very noticable, so it's not like it's hard to see or anything.

Same here I have a GReddy catback. Very guiet even though the muffler tip is 110 mm :eek: .

BigMass
07-13-2003, 09:56 AM
{start rant}
they should make a law that makes breathing illegal and fine everybody 24 hours/day. Or how about one that makes it illegal to drive a car with anything on it that's not stock. Even the stereo. See, just because something is a law doesn’t make it "the way it should be". I wont say what i think about Cops that enforce that bullshit. I used to want to become a cop then i realized i had higher moral standards than that. Busting criminals, thieves and murderers is one thing. Harassing citizens going about their daily lives is another. When you live your day to day life being more scared of Cops than real criminals there is a problem. If a mugger tries to take my wallet I can fight him off. If a Cop pulls me over because he wants to be a prick I can’t do anything about it.
{end rant}

Speed_Dreams
07-13-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Paul

I asked the officer about if a silencer would make a difference and his responce was

"no the ticket i issued is because your muffler is to large and to shiney. i could give you another ticket (donut crumbs fall from his mouth) for your car being loud, but i'm a dumb fuck so...."

okay so i exagerated a little but you get the jist:confused:

This is just a reason to get a Carbonfiber canister muffler. Its not Shiny. You should have appoligised to the cop for keeping your car clean and shiny

Johnny@CustomAuto
07-14-2003, 05:07 PM
nice rant big mass

GT2NV
07-14-2003, 11:53 PM
yeah... i just got a ticket the other night 114$ for my clear corners

markeese180sx
07-22-2003, 07:28 AM
wow what a post! im lovin it...used to live in VA and my friend had a huge ass 4 wheeler that was loud as hell it was great till my dad called threatened to call the cops..ah whatever..hopefully there arent car restrictions in the states

Paul
07-22-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by markeese180sx
wow what a post! im lovin it...used to live in VA and my friend had a huge ass 4 wheeler that was loud as hell it was great till my dad called threatened to call the cops..ah whatever..hopefully there arent car restrictions in the states

Depending on where you currently live in the US, you'll be surprised at how strict the laws are. California in particular, i only know because i go there a lot, has some crazy laws. One that i remember they passed was that the center of the cars headlight could not be less than "so-many-inches" from the ground. This actually made all Civics straight from the factory illegal, this also appeared in Super Street Magazine.

In LA cops also have what's known as "sniffers" on the front of the patrol cars. When they pull you over they can tell if your emmisions are too high and ticket you for that.

Some laws are practical, but a $115 ticket for a exhaust that is one inch bigger than some factory cars is pure :bullshit:

By the way here's an update....i talked to another officer and they said that was the ticket issued they'd ever heard of, they actually didn't even know the law existed and had to give the officer the section # that i violated so they could look it up. They said that i could fight the ticket for the pure fact that it's a STUPID TICKET. Based on that alone the judge may throw it out...kinda funny.

P

tommy1223
07-22-2003, 12:04 PM
seems like in canada, they pull u over for no apparent reasons. Here in the states i speed all the time and EVERYONE has aftermarket exhaust and everything, they dont seem to care at all. Even cops i know have greddy exhausts on their integras and civics. Ya funny huh. I have seen about 5 cops with souped up cars.

Cops here arnt as strict as they are up there i guess...

Oh and i live in Seattle Washington, Pretty close to Canada.

In come places they are more strict than others i guess.

Ben
07-22-2003, 12:16 PM
So thats why I saw so many horrific bastardisations of cars when I drove through seattle a couple weeks ago.

AutodreamMarvin
07-23-2003, 03:41 AM
i had an easy fix
CUT OFF THE TIP!
haha mine is loud, but there is no tip
take that coppers! muahahaha

-just say no to exhaust tips

Spenser
07-23-2003, 11:20 PM
you think you got it bad......i've been pulled over so much that every time i see a cop i pull over, lock my car, and walk away, sometimes with it running..........in the first week i was driving i got three tickets, 2 in 2 days for the same thing, I got pulled over cause just as i was leaving a parking lot i hadn't turned my healights on, they pulled me over and when they found out i had only one..........57 big ones and a call home to see if the car even belonged to me........idiot po.

then the next day, i burn it around the corner and see a cop across the mediane, i quickly pull over and as i was getting out he pulls up.........i had no licscence with me, my neons where on, i had one headlight and my exhaust is too loud.........luckily he gave me one ticket....for the headlight. again..57 bones......im gona fight that one.

then i was going pretty fast down 16th.........90 in the construction zone(70)........the cop on the overpass doing radar hears me and watches me(he was doing radar for 52 not the street i was on.) he then follows me for about 8 blocks off of 16, then as im about to turn in to a max, he turns em on and i pull over.......he tells me i was speeding on 16th........"holy shit officer, can you follow someone for that long??? " he takes my papers(i wasn't even insured under the car at the time.) and comes back like 20 mins later with a ticket for "inadaquate muffler" 69$ big ones............this was all in the first week of my driving........and i've avoided cops by parking and walking away quickly...."no officer thats not my car"

The cops don't know the laws........"neons are legal as long as you can't see the bars" the other cop "there illegal no matter what" again the other cop "muffler tickets are 120$" and the even dumber cop goes" no there 69" and the other cop tells me "only a bylaw officer can give you a ticket for a loud muffler"

they don't know what there talking about.

Ashkente
07-23-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Spenser
(i wasn't even insured under the car at the time.)

What the fuck were you doing driving uninsured? :P

Redlyne_mr2
07-23-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Spenser
you think you got it bad......i've been pulled over so much that every time i see a cop i pull over, lock my car, and walk away, sometimes with it running..........in the first week i was driving i got three tickets, 2 in 2 days for the same thing, I got pulled over cause just as i was leaving a parking lot i hadn't turned my healights on, they pulled me over and when they found out i had only one..........57 big ones and a call home to see if the car even belonged to me........idiot po.

then the next day, i burn it around the corner and see a cop across the mediane, i quickly pull over and as i was getting out he pulls up.........i had no licscence with me, my neons where on, i had one headlight and my exhaust is too loud.........luckily he gave me one ticket....for the headlight. again..57 bones......im gona fight that one.

then i was going pretty fast down 16th.........90 in the construction zone(70)........the cop on the overpass doing radar hears me and watches me(he was doing radar for 52 not the street i was on.) he then follows me for about 8 blocks off of 16, then as im about to turn in to a max, he turns em on and i pull over.......he tells me i was speeding on 16th........"holy shit officer, can you follow someone for that long??? " he takes my papers(i wasn't even insured under the car at the time.) and comes back like 20 mins later with a ticket for "inadaquate muffler" 69$ big ones............this was all in the first week of my driving........and i've avoided cops by parking and walking away quickly...."no officer thats not my car"

The cops don't know the laws........"neons are legal as long as you can't see the bars" the other cop "there illegal no matter what" again the other cop "muffler tickets are 120$" and the even dumber cop goes" no there 69" and the other cop tells me "only a bylaw officer can give you a ticket for a loud muffler"

they don't know what there talking about.
Youre pretty stupid dude

littledan
07-24-2003, 12:03 AM

Youre pretty stupid dude

:rofl:

sooo blunt :rofl:

Paul
07-24-2003, 01:08 PM
but seriously, you are pretty dumb to be doin all that shit. The point of this thread was to show that even while OBEYING the law, driving the posted speed limit, I still got pulled over. I don't speed, i don't have tinted window's, my headlights BOTH work, yet the only thing the cop could pull me over for was my "enlarged" exhaust. IT's cops like this that piss a lot of us off.

Maybe if you fix your car the cops won't hassle you so much, and don't speed.

max_boost
07-24-2003, 01:43 PM
I condone the crack down on street ricers and maniac drivers but I think this whole enlarged exhaust tip is BULL SHIT. You can argue people get blinded by rainbow type colors and dangerous drivers but how the hell will a larger exhaust tip harm motorists? It just doesn't make sense. I'm not getting an exhaust for my car just for this reason. It would sure as hell piss me off everytime I'm out there and I get a $115 ticket.

And Paul, I saw your ride at Silverhill a few weeks back and took a look at your exhaust. It isn't even that noticeable, you just got picked on dude!!

Spenser
07-27-2003, 01:33 PM

Youre pretty stupid dude

sooo blunt

I was freakin' transporting the car, I wouldn't of driven it if i didn't absolutely have to. Relax, I know i was wrong but life is a book and people who stay at home read only one page. everyone does something stupid in there life, people are learning....maturing....growing up.

What, you actually think i haven't tried to get a quieter muffler or put a headlight in? I think about it everytime i get in my car. it was the first week. i obey the law to the occurence of situation. I would never dream of driving without insurance again, it was a bad decision and i totaly realize that, but you have no right to be calling me stupid and you don't even know me.

I don't regret anything, but i do wish that posting on this site wasn't about "that kids stupid for breakin' this law" look, people here are getting tickets when they're thinkin"o i was obeying the law" or "but i was in the right"well obviously you weren't otherwise there wouldn't be a thread like this. Wether you think you were right or not, it doesn't matter, you have to accept the deluted perception of what you can and cannot change,

Don't call me stupid for getting caught doing something illegal, it happens to the best and worse of us.

And just for the info, the stuff is fixed on my car now, I'm not stupid enough to get more tickets.

Ichigo
07-27-2003, 04:02 PM
I read somewhere that exhaust tips are a bylaw.. Does that mean only bylaw officers can issue that ticket??

Spenser
07-27-2003, 06:48 PM
nope

terror
07-27-2003, 07:07 PM
Tickets should be for the loud ones, regardless of size.
If you want to drive around with a 6" chrome fart can attached to your 1" stock exhaust, which is getting rid of all of the exhuast gases of your 4 cylinder 1. something liter engine, looking like an idiot for all the world to see, that is OK. Just do it quietly.

4 cylinder cars do not sound good with loud exhausts. Period.
6 cylinder cars sound almost as bad.

Seanith
07-27-2003, 08:38 PM
yeah i have a huge exhaust tip (apex'i -115mm ) but it sounds really deep and not loud at all, maybe at close to redline in vtec. I have yet to get an exhaust ticket, and i drive around all day and have had cops behind me numerous times. :)

T5Bird
07-27-2003, 09:27 PM
Kinda off topic, but why is the rim blurred out on that van??

AquamosH
07-27-2003, 11:39 PM
I read that in Richmond, B.C. they now have a device that detects whether the exhaust on a car has been modified, judging from the sound it emits.

They're employing this and some other "new" devices (such as cordless laser, and instant spike strips) to crackdown on street racing over there.

Here's the link:
http://www.canada.com/technology/story.html?id=AEA5BD76-8D7C-4C68-B1C9-32107D04C496

At least there they're ticketing ppl because of the noise.

Hash_man
07-27-2003, 11:41 PM
I think that the exaust bylaw/law whatever it is, is retarded. Especially seeing harley's and big trucks around that are twice as loud but never get pulled over and ticketed for that.

I am going to be getting an exaust for my car soon, and I think i might get a nice dual tip DTM style muffler, just to reduce the risk of getting a ticket for that.

And paul, I saw you driving down bow bottom trail (i think thats the road) the other day, while test driving a celica with my mom, and your front bumper looks awesome. And it looked even better up close at SCN.