PDA

View Full Version : Connecting PC to LCD TV

nos_efx
10-11-2007, 09:27 AM
Hey hope you guys can help me with this.

I have a nvidia 8600gt video card in my pc which i've connected to my LCD TV using a analog (VGA) signal. This works perfect but I want to get the most out of some of my HD movies so I purchased a DVI-D to HDMI cable, but when plugging this in I do not receive any video on the TV. I know the DVI port on the video card is DVI-I which should support both formats.

Any idea as to why I wouldnt be getting a video signal?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cowtown_Raider
10-13-2007, 08:48 PM
I ran into a similar issue connecting my laptop to my LCD via DVI-D. How long is the cable that you're using? I'm using a 15 footer and for some reason it doesn't connect well when it's curled up. Here's what I do:

Turn on TV and computer
Connect cables
Go into Control Panel --> System --> Hardware Tab -->Device Manager and expand the Monitor item. I see a few items in there and one of them is my computer display. If you right click and Scan for Hardware Changes, you might see the TV come up. If that happens, then you're good to go. Just go into the Display properties and expand your desktop onto the second display.

If nothing happens on Scan for Hardware Changes, try straightening out your DVI cable, move it around, and make sure there aren't any curls in it.

That did the trick for me so hopefully it will help you as well.

dragonone
10-14-2007, 02:31 AM
i know this may sound stupid, but go vga, i can hardly tell the difference
it's also a lot easier to setup overscan using powerstrip

didn't have a problem with the cables curling tho when i tried hdmi-dvi