PDA

View Full Version : the best small digital camera for taking nightshots

autumnrain
10-11-2007, 05:07 PM
hey guys,
so i lam looking for the best nightshot camera, i had my shares of canon and sony cameras.. but everytime i put it on nightmode it either comes out blurry (because u can't even twitch) or you can only see the background and not the face...
a good example is a me in hong kong. with all those lights and buildings its either my face is too dark but you can see the buildings or the other way around.
i dont mind spending a max of $700 for a compact camera, not interested in a rebel or anything too big to carry around..
so any suggestions??

toyboy88
10-11-2007, 05:13 PM
A tripod fixes most "blurry" night s s...

I had the same problem originally this summer at the Eiffel Tower, next day w/tripod = clear as normal.

gpomp
10-11-2007, 05:32 PM
fujifilm f series are good

nismodrifter
10-11-2007, 05:40 PM
A new camera is not going to solve your issue.

1. If you have flash on, your face/foreground will be bright as hell, but as you said...everything in the background will be dark. That's basically what a flash is designed to do (provide a source of light so you can at least take your picture in a pitch black environment).

2. If your flash is off your lighting is going to be super super super low, to compensate your camera will hold the shutter open longer..hence the blurry picture which comes out like crap if you move. To solve the issue here you need a tripod to hold the camera steady, put the cam on 2-10 sec timer, and then take the picture...problem with this is that if you are taking pictures of yourself there is no way you will be able to hold still for 2-3 seconds that the camera needs to take the picture, and the tripod is hella unpractical.

Example:

A picture I took using a tripod (2 second exposure. If I was to go stand in this picture to try and take a pic of myself you can pretty much guarantee that I would be a little bit blurry because of movement)
http://members.shaw.ca/nismodrifter/endofyear1.jpg

A picture that someone else took using a flash:
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2687/night4xs4.jpg

autumnrain
10-12-2007, 09:26 AM
man that sucks,
i really dont want to carry a tripod around when i am travelling...
thanks for the tips guys

toyboy88
10-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by autumnrain
man that sucks,
i really dont want to carry a tripod around when i am travelling...
thanks for the tips guys

same with me when I went to europe...but even a really small extendable one will work WONDERS

CiviccCaiz
10-12-2007, 11:36 AM
The best tripod for travel is the Manfrotto 785B,

I modified it and attached a great ball head and it works great.

17" light as hell and hold my D70s with grip and 70-300mm lens with little problem. It will extend to full size which is great.

I will attached a pic to show you tonight.

The best you can do to get

LIGHT, COMPACT AND SOMEWHAT STURDYNESS for a tripod.

Those combination is hard to get in a tripod.

For extra help I usually attach my bag to it and then its as good as any bigger manfrotto.

I usued it extensively on my last trip to LA, Vietnam, singapor and Japan.

If you need a light weight tripod for travel, backpacking etc I highly recomend this one....its the lightest and smallest fully extendable tripod I could find on the market....just a warning the stock pistol grip sucks.