PDA

View Full Version : Saturn Astra=Vauxhall Astra

bennyhanna
10-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Just saw on gmcanada.ca

that they will be selling the Astra here in Canada. Anyone know any specs behind the Canadian Version?

Link:http://www.gmcanada.com/ss/gm/gallery.do?model=astra5&lang=en_CA&brand=saturn&contextDisplayMode=normal

Cowtown_Raider
10-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Just google it...lots of sites on it. Looks like a great car to add to Saturn's lineup.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=122780

what would be nice is if they had a VXR model for us, but not gonna happen:

http://www.topgear.com/drives/E7/A3/roadtests/23/01.html

SeanDon
10-14-2007, 10:32 AM
saturn = terrible

Cowtown_Raider
10-14-2007, 10:35 AM
And you're basing this on what? I agree their cars have been sub-par up till now, but their lineup is quite impressive now. Quality has improved significantly and perception is changing. It'll take time. I was an import fanboi for the longest time till I test drove the Aura.

Xtrema
10-14-2007, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by SeanDon
saturn = terrible

I just can't see why people won't give them another chance or try them before spewing old stereotype.

Asian must be a gangster.
Arab must be a terrorist.
White guy can't dance.
Domestic must suck.

SeanDon
10-14-2007, 11:04 AM
ill probly always be an import guy. its wut ive been around my whole life.

silver_gs-R
10-14-2007, 11:07 AM
I've always been an import guy too, but since I am from europe, and have always loved the OPEL ASTRA. I'm definetely gonna give saturn a chance. I cant wait to see one in person. :thumbsup:

SeanDon
10-14-2007, 11:08 AM
thats cool.

95EagleAWD
10-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by SeanDon
ill probly always be an import guy. its wut ive been around my whole life.

Then you'll love the Saturn, since it's a Vauxhall.

:thumbsup:

Cowtown_Raider
10-14-2007, 12:22 PM
People equate Saturn with a cutesy, plastic-clad car for people who don't like cars and just want basic transportation without the typical car buying hassle. I was one of those people that used to laugh at Saturns, although now that I have a new car, I can see the appeal of dent-resistant polymer body panels!

Most of Saturn's lineup is import inspired...not Asian, of course, but European:

Saturn Aura - Opel/Vauxhall Vectra inspired (has American engines, transmission and interior, but suspension is thankfully Euro-tuned)

Saturn Vue - Opel Antara

Saturn Sky Roadster - Opel GT

Saturn Astra - Opel/Vauxhall Astra

GM is using the great design studios from their overseas divisions (the new Pontiac G8 from Holden in Australia is going to kick ass).

The cool thing about Saturn is that you still get the great customer service...now they just have some cool cars to finally go along with it. Perception takes years to change and GM/Saturn have a lot of work to do, but it's an exciting time for GM.

muse017
10-15-2007, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Cowtown_Raider
People equate Saturn with a cutesy, plastic-clad car for people who don't like cars and just want basic transportation without the typical car buying hassle. I was one of those people that used to laugh at Saturns, although now that I have a new car, I can see the appeal of dent-resistant polymer body panels!

Most of Saturn's lineup is import inspired...not Asian, of course, but European:

Saturn Aura - Opel/Vauxhall Vectra inspired (has American engines, transmission and interior, but suspension is thankfully Euro-tuned)

Saturn Vue - Opel Antara

Saturn Sky Roadster - Opel GT

Saturn Astra - Opel/Vauxhall Astra

GM is using the great design studios from their overseas divisions (the new Pontiac G8 from Holden in Australia is going to kick ass).

The cool thing about Saturn is that you still get the great customer service...now they just have some cool cars to finally go along with it. Perception takes years to change and GM/Saturn have a lot of work to do, but it's an exciting time for GM.

90% of comments are true except that both Saturn Vue/Opel Antara are manufactured by DAEWOO(South Korean company)

reno97637
10-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by muse017

90% of comments are true except that both Saturn Vue/Opel Antara are manufactured by DAEWOO(South Korean company)

GM bought Daewoo.

lethal
10-15-2007, 08:49 AM
As far as I can tell, you're only getting the 140bhp 1.8 in Canada. :(

Shame really as the Opel/Vx car has a nice line of petrols turbos (up to a 236bhp in the VXR) and reasonable diesel turbos.

There's even a Diesel Electric Hybrid which won't be going to Canada but they're hard to come by in the EU anyway.

urban.one
10-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Hasnt Saturn decided that all their cars will now have steel panels?

Originally posted by Cowtown_Raider
People equate Saturn with a cutesy, plastic-clad car ...

I can see the appeal of dent-resistant polymer body panels!

SeanDon
10-15-2007, 09:46 AM
i just dont like the body style of most of the saturns...or vauxhalls i guess.

Destinova403
10-15-2007, 10:21 AM
i agree... im not really a fan of their design... but the american auto-makers... especially GM sure have pulled their act together...

good job guys... hopefully people will start to come around.

403Gemini
10-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Their ion redline was probably the biggest step in the right direction for GM, glad to see saturn is actually getting some nice cars that arent generic looking :thumbsup:

reno97637
10-15-2007, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by lethal
As far as I can tell, you're only getting the 140bhp 1.8 in Canada. :(

Shame really as the Opel/Vx car has a nice line of petrols turbos (up to a 236bhp in the VXR) and reasonable diesel turbos.

There's even a Diesel Electric Hybrid which won't be going to Canada but they're hard to come by in the EU anyway.

Yeah too bad the Astra is coming out with 1 engine choice. Supposedly, they're just testing out the waters for now and if the response is great, in the upcoming years there will be a bit more variety.

I'm looking into grabbing a 5 door Astra.

culebra
10-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Daewoo has little different story, Daewoo manufactures some of Pontiac and Chevy lines and doing some crossover business by importing GM and Saturn models into Korea. They had lotta talk over importing Sky Roadster that taxation on imported vehicle with domestic brand. Sky Roadster is badged Daewoo in Korea which their tax system consider the brand is domestic so the tax rate on GM Daewoo is still getting advantage of being domestic brand. GM has started putting some of US and EU manufactured models in Korean market since tax rates are low on Daewoo which has brought great competency against other import brands such as Ford, Chrysler, Honda so on .

Aveo, yes it's formal Daewoo model and still being manufactured in Korea but saturns? vauxhall? opel? i don't think so but there is a chance that Daewoo used to have quite a few plants in East Europe those might have turned into GM(or one of their sub-brand) plant after Daewoo collapse.

Cowtown_Raider
10-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by urban.one
Hasnt Saturn decided that all their cars will now have steel panels?

Yes, the Ion was the last model to have polymer body panels. The problem with the plastic panels are the gaps needed to allow room for expansion when it gets hot. Makes the cars look pieced together and not very 'upscale', which is where GM wants Saturn to compete. Panel gaps are much smaller now and it helps make the cars look more expensive than they actually are.

It would be so cool if GM took the 2L turbo from the Sky Redline and put it into the Astra for a Redline version like the VXR. 260 HP would give GM something to compete head to head with the Mazdaspeed 3 and breathe some more excitement into the brand.

While we're dreaming...lol...I'd also love to see an Aura Redline with the 300HP DI 3.6 from the Cadillac CTS and have the body look more like the concept car:

http://images.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0503_01l+2007_saturn_aura_concept+front_left_view.jpg

TNationFTW
10-15-2007, 07:59 PM
personally...I

http://theducks.org/pictures/do-not-want-dog.jpg

but Saturn is moving upwards in the auto industry.

SeanDon
10-15-2007, 09:32 PM
yep ill agree wit that pic. saturn is hurtin, always will be. Honda all the way!

Cowtown_Raider
10-17-2007, 01:59 PM
I'll agree that Honda makes good cars. They're one of the few car makers doing things right these days. I think your perception that Saturn is 'hurtin and always will be' is unfortunate (and maybe just a tad ignorant) because the company deserves some credit for what they're doing. They've posted better sales increases than most other companies this year. Whether you like the styling is irrelevant since we can't argue about something so subjective! :)