PDA

View Full Version : Unlocking car with cell phone?

Thehonger8
10-13-2007, 03:08 PM
I have heard some stories that you can unlock your car doors with your cell phone. Someone from another place uses the remote keyless entry, and press the unlock button, then you put your phone like up to the car and it will suppose to unlock the door.

Has anyone tried this? Is this a myth?

gpomp
10-13-2007, 03:54 PM
apparently it works...
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/01/video-autoblog-shows-how-to-unlock-your-car-with-a-cell-phone/

99teg
10-13-2007, 03:57 PM
yes it does work! it saved me from gettin fired for being late for work

TNationFTW
10-13-2007, 04:47 PM
yeah i've never seen it in person though

trev0006
10-13-2007, 06:14 PM
I have tried this many times, but failed.

mo_money2supe
10-13-2007, 06:20 PM
I believe the only reason the method worked in the video was not 'cause the cell phones were transmitting the signal, it's 'cause when the remote was placed near the distant cell phone, that cell phone acted as an amplified antenna for the remote; thus, extending the range of the remote. Notice how they never tried it from several blocks down, but within plain sight of the car? It's the same principle as if you need extra range from your remote and your car is still within sight but the remote's range isn't far enough, you place the remote on your chin and use your body as an external antenna.

DelSoln
10-14-2007, 01:22 AM
It's definitely not a myth. I can do this since I have GPS tracking in my car. A lot more options as well.

three.eighteen.
10-14-2007, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
I believe the only reason the method worked in the video was not 'cause the cell phones were transmitting the signal, it's 'cause when the remote was placed near the distant cell phone, that cell phone acted as an amplified antenna for the remote; thus, extending the range of the remote. Notice how they never tried it from several blocks down, but within plain sight of the car? It's the same principle as if you need extra range from your remote and your car is still within sight but the remote's range isn't far enough, you place the remote on your chin and use your body as an external antenna.

uh, why your chin?

BlackArcher101
10-14-2007, 10:32 AM
What a load of hooey. Cell phones transmit audio... a keyless entry or gps signal is not audio and the radio waves they use will not transfer through a cell phone.

infamous
10-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.

uh, why your chin?

why the chin? i personally don't know, but i know that it works. true story: when i was working at hyatt infiniti, i was trying to figure out which g35 keys i had in my hand. went and stood next to a window, and tried to use the remote to find which car. didn't work. put the keys up to my chin, and bam....it works everytime. how? don't know. why? don't know. but it works.

blinkme_210
10-14-2007, 02:24 PM
The theory behind it is that your body changes the frequency of the remote, and detunes it down to the receiver's frequency. Ask an EE guy, he'll tell you.