PDA

View Full Version : Tire balance and mount shop

5gluder
07-29-2002, 02:26 PM
Anybody know a shop that can mount and balance tires(without scatching the rim) at a decent price?

Thanks

2000impreza
07-29-2002, 02:27 PM
kal tire is pretty good

Ed the SOHC
07-29-2002, 02:51 PM
Kal tire by tunerworks does a decent job. I got them to inspect the rim and verify that it's in mint condition before they worked on it... Only the best for my pulsar!:thumbsup:

del-lude
07-29-2002, 03:05 PM
Tirecraft on McLeod is pretty good and resonable price too

sexualbanana
07-29-2002, 03:11 PM
yeah i like tirecraft on macleod

redline
07-29-2002, 04:59 PM
Tire craft by the backally is the best !!

4wheeldrift
07-29-2002, 05:26 PM
Tirecraft by the back alley does excellent work (and quite reasonable price too). Speedville also mounts and balances (I got my R compounds mounted there, because they use the type of weights that glue onto the wheel)

silvercivicsir
07-29-2002, 11:45 PM
what's wrong with Wal-mart ? they can mount and balance your tires.

G
07-30-2002, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by silvercivicsir

Never go to Wal-Mart or Blaskin and Lane. I got my tires mounted a balanced there before and I had to take it back 5 times because it keep shaking at higher speeds. Finally I had to take it to TireCraft on 32nd NE to get it done right.

5gluder
07-30-2002, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the info fellas. I ended up going to Tirecraft(near Hooters :D). They had the best price, and most importantly garanteed there work.

cocoabrova
07-30-2002, 07:46 PM
Yeah.. insert cliche here---> You get what you pay for:thumbsdow

5gluder
07-30-2002, 08:11 PM
UPDATE:

Those jackasses scratched my rim!!!!! bunch of idiots!!!!I'm gonna call them tommorrow and give them hell!!!!

:madred: :madred: :guns: :guns:

4wheeldrift
07-30-2002, 08:19 PM
What type of weights did they use? The hammer on ones or the ones that glue to the inside?

5gluder
07-30-2002, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
What type of weights did they use? The hammer on ones or the ones that glue to the inside?

They used the glue on the inside of the rim. They must have scatched it when they put the tire on.

4wheeldrift
07-30-2002, 10:19 PM
What size and profile of tire? might have scratched it with the rim clamp by accident.

5gluder
07-30-2002, 10:30 PM
I got 215/40/17 Kumho 712. I'm so mad, those rims are brand new. I just hope they admit it was there mistake, knowing my luck i'll get screwed.

kenny
07-31-2002, 02:04 AM
I will be taking my wheels to the same location to get mounted. I was watching them today mount a tire for an NSX and it looked like some they were teaching some young kid how to do the mounting. I guess its training season. I will stick around when they mount my tires so they don't scratch my wheels.

max_boost
07-31-2002, 02:39 AM
Sorry to hear about what happened Ashvin, hopefully the guys you deal with will be professional and sort out the matter.

I've heard some good things about Tire Craft and that is where the Tunerworks guys recommend I take the wheels to. I just hope they don't mess up mounting my wheels or else I will be extremely pissed off!

sexualbanana
07-31-2002, 02:41 AM
the guy at contemporary (i think his name is greg) recommended tirecraft to me when i got my rims

max_boost
07-31-2002, 02:49 AM
I assume that the bigger the wheel size, the harder to mount the rims/tires?

shadowz
07-31-2002, 03:19 AM
Dude sorry to hear Ashvin , and I was looking at those the first day they came in too so nice, hope everything gets solved for you

4wheeldrift
07-31-2002, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
I assume that the bigger the wheel size, the harder to mount the rims/tires?

Its a combination of sidewall stiffness and tire profile. Low profile tires with stiff sidewalls can be quite difficult to mount, just because there isn't much sidewall and it doesn't bent much, making it hard to get it to seat properly.

redline
07-31-2002, 08:10 AM
That is why I like tire craft on Mcleod, they do all Tunerworks installs and they guarantee they will not scratch rims…

5gluder
07-31-2002, 09:48 AM
Yeah, when i went down to pick up my tires, they had some kid working on the NSX rims. He wasn't doing a good job. Well, i phoned Tirecraft this morning, talked to the manager. He said that he mounted the rims and he know he didn't scratch the rim.

From the way he responded it seemed as though he won't take blaime for the damage. I just ended up phoning the head office, there going to check up on the situation.

My alternatives:
1)get my money back for the mount & Balance ($90)
2) Try to get e new rim (may take months)

I should have checked them before i took them, but they put the rims in tire bags.

rsxxxcutie
07-31-2002, 02:33 PM

First of all the weights they use are Not glue, they are "stick" on weights that use dbl sided sticky tape.

I would never take my tires there. I know some people who work at a wal-mart and they are punks. You should NEVER take your car there because they will abuse it or even run someone over with it and cause damage to your car.

That's why when that guy get's his own car serviced at the dealership, he has to "babysit" his own car, so that they don't treat his car the same way that he treat's other people's cars at Wal-mart.

Ed the SOHC
07-31-2002, 02:47 PM
:madred: :madred: :madred:
sorry to hear 5glude... that angers me when they just give it back to you like there's nothing wrong.:thumbsdow

max_boost
07-31-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by 5gluder
Yeah, when i went down to pick up my tires, they had some kid working on the NSX rims. He wasn't doing a good job. Well, i phoned Tirecraft this morning, talked to the manager. He said that he mounted the rims and he know he didn't scratch the rim.

From the way he responded it seemed as though he won't take blaime for the damage. I just ended up phoning the head office, there going to check up on the situation.

My alternatives:
1)get my money back for the mount & Balance ($90)
2) Try to get e new rim (may take months)

I should have checked them before i took them, but they put the rims in tire bags.

How bad is the damage to the rims?

2000impreza
07-31-2002, 03:10 PM
i've had problems with tirecraft too. they scrached one of my rims.... fixing a flat tire. i just let it go cause i didn't want to start a pissing war when i know i'm not going to get anything back. plus not like my rims are expensive or anything.

5gluder
07-31-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

How bad is the damage to the rims?

Hey Sam,

Well i ended up buying a set of gunmetal rims. They put a scratch rougly an inch long on the outer edge of the lip. Following the scratch is a chunk roughly the 1/4 inch long, basically they took a chunk of the paint out, so i have the bear metal exposed.

5gluder
08-01-2002, 02:36 PM
For those of you who are wondering what the outcome was. They had decided to refund me the money that I paid to get the wheels mounted and balanced.

My Advice:
Careful where you take your rims. Even if they offer a guarantee, it dosen't mean they will warranty damage to your property. Next time i will take the time to watch them mount the tires.

silvercivicsir
08-01-2002, 02:50 PM
should of brought it to Wal-mart

5gluder
08-01-2002, 03:10 PM
should of brought it to Wal-mart

If i went to Wal-Mart, I probably would have gotten back someone elses set of scatrched rims.

speedracer
08-01-2002, 04:30 PM
Now I'm not too sure if i want to get an alignment there :(:thumbsdow

silvercivicsir
08-01-2002, 06:26 PM
it's to bad wal-mart doesn't do wheel alignments or I'd suggest you go there.

redline
08-01-2002, 07:16 PM
it's to bad wal-mart doesn't do wheel alignments or I'd suggest you go there.

:confused: :banghead: :confused:

phantom
03-03-2005, 03:01 PM
bringing the thread from the dead...

I have a brand new set of 17" wanted to mount on bridgestone re040 low profiles. I didn't want them to stretch the rims, what is the best place to mount and balance?

people above said Tirecraft and Kal-tire, but some of them said they're good and some said bad....

so not sure where now, any ideas?

and how much do they charge?

Speed_69
03-03-2005, 03:08 PM
does costco do it? if so, are they pretty good?

phantom
03-04-2005, 12:04 PM
anyone??