PDA

View Full Version : Good Restaurants in Saskatoon?

jtl
10-15-2007, 07:16 AM
I've been looking for some good Pho... I've tried "the WoK' cuz I heard good things about.... not that good haha.

Also looking for some good sushi, only place I've tried is Sushiro, which is pretty good but expensive (compared to Calgary). I was thinking of trying Samurai but it looks pretty fancy from the outside... probably expensive?

And any other good recommendations? Nothing too fancy or expensive I just want to try out some new places in this town

JRSC00LUDE
10-15-2007, 08:07 AM
You've already had the best pho in Saskatoon. Sorry about that. You won't fare much better for sushi either. I think sushi is decent at samurai (wife went recently). Best bet is call and request a reservation with Vi when he is cooking. He's really good.

Jayson
10-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Saskatoon food :thumbsdow especially asian food... first of all there aren't very many choices... secondly they all suck IMO...

sputnik
10-15-2007, 09:04 AM
www.chowhound.com

JRSC00LUDE
10-15-2007, 09:13 AM
Well yeah, not the best asian food but there's some pretty good places depending on what you are looking for specifically. The food at Mandarin and Yip Hongs is pretty good. A lot of people really like Keo's for thai/lao food.

For non-asian food there's lots of great places.

Barking Fish, Simons British Flavors, Pesto's, Koutouki Taverna, Weczeria, Golden Pagoda (burmese food) just to name a few.

Redlyne_mr2
10-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Yah Saskatoon is odd.. its a nicer city than Regina by far but Regina has better restaurants.. Saskatoon is really hurtin for restaurants which means there is room for a good business opportunity.

JRSC00LUDE
10-15-2007, 09:58 AM
^

I don't know if you've been here to eat in the last year or so? There's been a TON of new restaurants opening up and many of them are quite good. We do have one of the highest, if not the highest, number of restaurants per capita in the country.

Personally, I couldn't find a decent meal in Regina to save my life and I spent time there every month for three years for work. :dunno:

I suppose a lot of it depends on what you get accustomed to though.

Redlyne_mr2
10-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
^

I don't know if you've been here to eat in the last year or so? There's been a TON of new restaurants opening up and many of them are quite good. We do have one of the highest, if not the highest, number of restaurants per capita in the country.

Personally, I couldn't find a decent meal in Regina to save my life and I spent time there every month for three years for work. :dunno:

I suppose a lot of it depends on what you get accustomed to though.
Well I travelled there quite a bit.. seems like I was always eating at Carvers or Samurai.. definitely lacking in variety i think is the better word.

milhouse
10-15-2007, 12:43 PM
RED PEPPER

OR FOR SUSHI

YOHEI (its of off taylor)

jtl
10-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Well yeah, not the best asian food but there's some pretty good places depending on what you are looking for specifically. The food at Mandarin and Yip Hongs is pretty good. A lot of people really like Keo's for thai/lao food.

For non-asian food there's lots of great places.

Barking Fish, Simons British Flavors, Pesto's, Koutouki Taverna, Weczeria, Golden Pagoda (burmese food) just to name a few.

I've try Golden Pagoda, first time having burmese food and it's not bad!

I haven't had dimsum since I left Calgary at the beginning of the semester, so I'm having some mad cravings haha... do the Mandarin or Yip Hongs have Dim Sum??? Is it any good?

Besides good food I'm also looking for cool places with a nice ambience to lounge at on the weekends (not really down with the "clubs" here...) any hot spots with girls? ;) hahaha

JRSC00LUDE
10-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Both mandarin and yip hongs are very popular for dim sum on weekends. Personally, I like them both. I find with dim sum especially though that you get used to how one place makes certain things and then it's harder to find a place that makes it "as good" if you know what I mean.

Cool places to lounge include barking fish (great menu, good drink selection) and flint martini lounge. Aroma in the radisson hotel (base of broadway bridge) is fun as well, I think it's wednesdays they have halfprice pizza and cheap pints. 612 in the sheraton hotel is a super place to go on friday/saturday night. And, believe it or not, bacchus lounge at earls can be a super good time as well (always has the ladies to look at there too!).

ray8181
10-15-2007, 04:09 PM
i think for dim sum at saskatoon garden would be my favorite...someone please tell me good places for pho....cause i havent seen 1 good place in stoon yet

CivicTunr
10-15-2007, 07:27 PM
:werd: saskatoon doesnt have that many good resturants.
i lived there for 16 years, and we still own a house there, so im down about month or so.
samuri is good tho.

jtl
10-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Samurai... prices??

CivicTunr
10-15-2007, 09:11 PM
its actually pretty decent pricing, a little more expensive, but so good. and its sweet to see them cook in front of you.
imo, the prices compared to calgary are good. in saskatoon, prices arnt so good.

nismodrifter
10-15-2007, 11:26 PM
I'm pretty sure that my old Physiology professor owns Mandarin. I never actually went there though because I avoid that part of town like the plague.

Good to see more Beyonders from toon town on here! Can't believe I miss that place.

oh...whats the indian restaurant scene there? I know there is one on 8th and I think there is one in downtown. Anyone eaten at either one? Are there any more?

jtl
10-16-2007, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
I'm pretty sure that my old Physiology professor owns Mandarin. I never actually went there though because I avoid that part of town like the plague.

Good to see more Beyonders from toon town on here! Can't believe I miss that place.

oh...whats the indian restaurant scene there? I know there is one on 8th and I think there is one in downtown. Anyone eaten at either one? Are there any more?

Yea Professor Lee I think!

I'm actually thinking of trying out the Indian place on 8th very soon.... it's close to the place I'm staying at now. I'll let you know how that goes ;)

Are there any other students from Toon on here? let's go grab a beer or something I've barely met anyone outside of my program since I've been here haha

mo_money2supe
10-16-2007, 04:17 AM
^^ Sure know what you mean about wanting to interact with others outside the program! I'm in Engineering and ALL my classes are in the building. Namely 3 different rooms. Drives a person crazy sometimes!

In regards to Mandarin for Dim Sum, when compared to Calgary, prices are much cheaper. Taste, however, it's not bad, but it's a tad bit on the saltier side. Nonetheless, I'm Chinese, and price usually dictates all - even if it's located in "Nativetown." :D

jtl
10-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Next question: Are there any asian supermarkets in this town? Or any asian barbeque shops ?

milhouse
10-19-2007, 03:21 PM
there is the east asia market, of 20th street. By al anderson's source for sports.

There is also a new indian restaraunt downtown, called the asian restaraunt, its on 3rd ave across from mulberry's

JRSC00LUDE
10-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by milhouse
there is the east asia market, of 20th street. By al anderson's source for sports.

There is also a new indian restaraunt downtown, called the asian restaraunt, its on 3rd ave across from mulberry's

Yes, that's the best store usually (price wise) and for freshness of produce. There is another one on 20th street called Chung Wah that has a fair amount of selection as well.

I think you are referring to "Asian Taste Restaurant"? If I'm not mistaken, that is a pakistani menu.