PDA

View Full Version : Drunk driver+Parked Skyline= :(

f150mikey060
10-15-2007, 10:02 PM
My friends skyline has been at the mechanics for the past few weeks. He was waiting on a new rear control arm to be installed on his 91 GTR. It was suppose to be installed on thursday, then it got pushed to friday, then saturday. Then monday due to some confusion with the supplier.Anyhow, last night a drunk driver hit it. The guys vehicle started on fire but i dont think the fire spread to the skyline. The guys friends were okay, but he died. I dont have all the details yet...
anyhow im pretty choked about it since im half way through the audio instal...and now i dont know if i can finish. The trunk setup was going to be insane(which was next to go in)...but now :dunno:
but atleast everyone other then the driver was okay...it could have been worse.
did anyone see this last night or this morning? it was on elbow drive and 48th ave sw at the esso
i will have pics up and more info when i know...

mark4091
10-15-2007, 10:04 PM
Wow that sucks, if he was driving drunk then his friends will be feeling the most guilty for letting him drive.

Toms-SC
10-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Shit, misread. Sorry. Not funny, I fucked up.

f150mikey060
10-15-2007, 10:13 PM
yea id feel pretty shitty if i let my friend drive after drinking...then have him die in an accident.

katana9x4
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Skyline :rofl:

i don't get it

f150mikey060
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Skyline :rofl:

sorry i missed the part where this is funny.

dimi
10-15-2007, 10:16 PM
Is this on Elbow Drive close to chinook?

f150mikey060
10-15-2007, 10:17 PM
yes about a block west and 3/4 blocks north(maybe a little farther but its in that general direction not to far from chinook)

rmk
10-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Man, I saw that car parked in the Esso lot on Saturday and Sunday. Thought it was parked wayy too close to the road.

urban.one
10-15-2007, 10:21 PM
Sad story anytime someone dies.

But I believe most people make the decision to drink and drive while they are sober. Ive had many friends in the past who would drink and drive regularly. They would drive to the bar, get loaded, and then drive home; often times the car would be full of their drunk friends who knew when they were going to the bar that theyd be driving with a drunk driver.

ASIDE: Usually its the driver that survives and a passenger that gets killed (or an innocent 3rd party out on the road). As tragic as it is, it seems more fair with the result of this accident.

Date: Mon Oct 15 15:58:28 2007
Subject: PA/MRU #07-485 TRAFFIC COLLISION FATALITY

-----BEGIN MD5 -----------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------
CITYBEAT - CITY OF CALGARY PRESS RELEASE
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Police are investigating a fatal single vehicle collision
that occurred early this morning.

On Monday, October 15, 2007, at approximately 1:15 a.m., a
man was operating a Pontiac Grand AM southbound on Elbow
Drive at 49 Street S.W., when he lost control and struck a
light standard.

The vehicle then spun around and struck a parked vehicle in a
service station parking lot, before coming to rest.

A small fire was extinguished by the Calgary Fire Department.
The driver was transported to hospital by EMS with life
-threatening injuries, while the passenger was treated for
minor injuries.

It is believed that speed was a factor in this collision.

The driver of the vehicle has since succumbed to his
injuries. His name will be released by the Office of the
Chief Medical Examiner at a later time.

The Calgary Police Service Traffic Investigation Unit
continues to investigate.

RELEASED BY THE PUBLIC AFFAIRS/MEDIA RELATIONS UNIT FOR
S/SGT. BRETT MARKLUND OF THE TRAFFIC SECTION.

f150mikey060
10-15-2007, 10:22 PM
yea, i drove past it saturday night on my way to downtown and was wondering wtf it was so close...now i feel bad for not telling him to have his mechanic move it :(

f150mikey060
10-15-2007, 10:25 PM
thanks for the article urban....it does suck and ive seen it happen too. i must agree...if it was the driver who survived and the passengers who died that would be far worse.

Lt247
10-15-2007, 11:06 PM
hey guys

I just got home from work, been a interesting day.
I am the owner of the skyline.. i didnt find out about the inccident till about 4 pm

im a little shaken up about it.. it was my baby hah

i dunno the extent of the dmg.. but from what i saw and the pictures i just took ( kinda dark =/) front clip, front mount intercooler, oil cooler, headlights, rad, looks like engine has dropped about 2 inches...

i dunno what to do.. really sorta lost heh

ill get some pics posted.

m3_powered
10-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Lt247
hey guys

I just got home from work, been a interesting day.
I am the owner of the skyline.. i didnt find out about the inccident till about 4 pm

im a little shaken up about it.. it was my baby hah

i dunno the extent of the dmg.. but from what i saw and the pictures i just took ( kinda dark =/) front clip, front mount intercooler, oil cooler, headlights, rad, looks like engine has dropped about 2 inches...

i dunno what to do.. really sorta lost heh

ill get some pics posted.

While you are not @ fault, you seem pretty insensitive towards the deceased opposed to your beloved box. Although he was driving impaired, and in no way I support that, but there is some %@#$ing empathy to be had.

jibber
10-15-2007, 11:37 PM
I drove by that Skyline just a few hours before this happened... not often I see a Skyline parked there... usually there's an old car or something there. I was headed home from the pizza shop like I do every Sunday, and I always head down Elbow to Glenmore from downtown (I really must choose a different route, the pavement on Elbow Dr is going to give me premature kidney failure. But, I digress...)

I feel bad about being one of the last people to actually look at that car as I drove by, fully knowing what I was looking at.

I must say, it was a nice Skyline.

I have no sympathy to anyone who drives drunk. There is no excuse. I'm glad all he hit was a parked car. 'Tis a shame.

Lt247
10-15-2007, 11:38 PM
m3_powered,

Ahh not true at all, on other forums i have posted
Im glad no one else got hurt and my condolences to the family of the young man who passed away.
however this forum i did not put as much detail into my post as i guess i should have, and for that i apologize.

Edit:

I do realise that is it just a car, and that does not represent equality to a human life, while i do feel bad for the lost life, and those injured,am i not allowed to feel bad for a lost asset aswell?

m3_powered
10-16-2007, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Lt247
m3_powered,

Ahh not true at all, on other forums i have posted
Im glad no one else got hurt and my condolences to the family of the young man who passed away.
however this forum i did not put as much detail into my post as i guess i should have, and for that i apologize.

Edit:

I do realise that is it just a car, and that does not represent a human life, while i do feel bad for a lost life, am i not allowed to feel bad for a lost asset aswell?

I retract my comment as it seems your previous post do amount to some ethics. It wasn't on your priority to disclose it, so it was safe to assume. Good on ya to respond correctly, and sorry to hear about your car.

2EFNFAST
10-16-2007, 01:39 AM
I saw the Skyline on the news today - I figured the owner probably posted on here.

f150mikey060
10-16-2007, 07:29 AM
poor skyline...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/mikey060/picture1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/mikey060/picture2.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/mikey060/picture3.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/mikey060/picture4.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/mikey060/picture5.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/mikey060/picture6.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/mikey060/picture7.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/mikey060/picture8.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/mikey060/picture9.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/mikey060/picture10.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/mikey060/picture12.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/mikey060/picture13.jpg

Antonito
10-16-2007, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by m3_powered

While you are not @ fault, you seem pretty insensitive towards the deceased opposed to your beloved box. Although he was driving impaired, and in no way I support that, but there is some %@#$ing empathy to be had.

Aww, some drunk guy knowingly killed himself, that's a real shame.

I feel worse about the car, the owner doesn't deserve to get punished for someone elses stupidity

f150mikey060
10-16-2007, 07:59 AM
no doubt...it was such a nice car. less than 60 000km on the engine. it didnt deserve this so young haha...
http://photos-987.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v76/157/70/130600353/n130600353_30097987_3601.jpg

avow
10-16-2007, 08:18 AM
im so sorry for your loss :cry: and even though the dumb fuck was drunk it is very sad to hear he died :(

picmerollin
10-16-2007, 08:47 AM
i am glad no innocent people were hurt- i HATE drunk drivers, i am the guy who calls in those losers whenever i see them.

the penalties are too weak for the damage they can cause.

good luck on getting your ride back together, be glad you were not in it when that POS decided to play drunken bumper cars

if any of the drivers friends read this......was it worth it to save the $20 on a cab, because if your not part of the solution your part of the problem.

A790
10-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by urban.one
Thats somewhat creepy now knowing what the end result of the accident was. It would always be in the back of my mind when driving the Skyline.

No shit. I'd definitely sell the car if it was repaired.

88CRX
10-16-2007, 09:57 AM
but there is some %@#$ing empathy to be had.

For his family yes... for the kid that was driving drunk, not really.

picmerollin
10-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Thats somewhat creepy now knowing what the end result of the accident was. It would always be in the back of my mind when driving the Skyline.

if it wasnt a drunk driver i would say the same thing, but since it was i say sue the fuck outta the drivers estate and build it up better than before.

then put a dont drink and drive sticker on it and love every whoosh of the BOV

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

+1

I feel sorry for the family having to deal with the consequences of that kids decision.

slowep3
10-16-2007, 10:13 AM
the part bout auto dream sounds bout right took em 3 weeks to ship some suspension to me after it was in stock i only live 9 hours away and it took 3 weeks could have walked there and back

Ferio_vti
10-16-2007, 10:18 AM
I take the #3 bus to and from work. This explains the detour Monday morning.

Sorry to hear about that. I used to see that Skyline there every day and kinda wondered why it was there so long. Plus it was never in the same place everyday.

sputnik
10-16-2007, 12:29 PM
Two less potential drunk drivers on the road.

One is dead... the other learned a valuable lesson.

zerocon
10-16-2007, 04:47 PM
As nice as a car as it was/is... I am just glad he didnt hit someone IN their vehicle or even a pedestrian!

Canmorite
10-16-2007, 06:15 PM
I've seen that car parked there tons. Sad to see it go....

m3_powered
10-16-2007, 06:57 PM

Agreed... It really impressives me how strongly people are against drunk driving only to be a hypocrite and get behind the wheel themselves. I can recall almost everytime I see drunkin' idiots get in their packed cars after the bar. Get a ride, call a cab or walk your ass home

m3_powered
10-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Antonito

Aww, some drunk guy knowingly killed himself, that's a real shame.

I feel worse about the car, the owner doesn't deserve to get punished for someone elses stupidity

What I’m emphasizing is, do not dismiss him as a human being; undoubtedly he made a stupendous mistake and ultimately he had to pay for it with his life. All too often you hear of good people getting behind the wheel. Real shitty

jdmXSI
10-16-2007, 07:28 PM

^+1, Id be really pissed if that was my car. IThe situation itself would probably make me sick to my stomach:guns:

mark4091
10-16-2007, 07:41 PM

Exactly he was driving drunk, there is absolutely no way that he had never heard you're not supposed to do that.

HybridTheory
10-16-2007, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by zerocon
As nice as a car as it was/is... I am just glad he didnt hit someone IN their vehicle or even a pedestrian!

I agree.

A car is an object, but I do feel some sympathy for the owner of the car since this was a case of the car being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Just a really stupid decision on the drivers part to drive drunk :thumbsdow

f150mikey060
10-16-2007, 07:56 PM
it was an incredibly stupid act, which happens every weekend(and probably every day). we hear all these stories about people dieing, and yet we still do it. for those who chose to do it, are gambling with their lives, along with everyone around them. It is sad to see someone die this way(he was probably young too) but it is also a shame he had to tak another car with him. Shane loved this car, and i know i shared the same respect for it. Its sad that he had been waiting so paitently for his parts to come in so he could enjoy the last few nice days out before it was garaged for the winter and then this happens. I spent around a month working on this car on and off during the summer...and well lets just say it is a shame to see such a clean, well maintained car be ruined like this. it totally changed my outlook on japanese cars. i went from a hater, to an "enthusiast" if you can call me that. anyhow, i look forward to working on this car, or its replacement in the near furture :)

crx62
10-16-2007, 08:06 PM
Very sorry to hear about your car man. I was a very nice skyline. And as for the drunk moron all i have to say is there is now 1 less moron in calgary.

B17a
10-16-2007, 09:49 PM
I just saw this car today on Elbow wondering WTF happened to it, now I know.

Lt247
10-17-2007, 12:24 AM
Well when i first heard the news i was in canmore working.. i didnt get to see my car till about 7 hours after i heard about it.. which was almost 24 hours after it happened.. when i first saw the car i sat down on the curb cause i was shaking so much.

Originally posted by jdmXSI

^+1, Id be really pissed if that was my car. IThe situation itself would probably make me sick to my stomach:guns:

And thanks everyone for the support i have been given, although it is only a car and can be replaced, it is still sad to see it go.

The reason it was in front of that shop so much is that I was waiting on parts,, then i took it back to give it to mike for sound system... then it went back in cause the parts got in.. then i was getting a oil leak fixed and well here we are.

And to the comments about the car being weird to drive afterwards now that its been through this... i do agree and have talked to alot of people about pushing to get it totaled. However... if that does happen..
how does buying back the car work? i dont know the ins and outs of this subject

Lt247
10-17-2007, 12:38 AM
Thanks mike. For uploading the pictures in smaller format for me.

I have my own set of pictures here. warning they are a bit on the big side heh

Before the Damage, for those who are interested. These we taken not to long ago.
www.shanedumont.ca/GTR

The current state of the car:
http://www.shanedumont.ca/GTR/damaged/

I will be uploading more pictures of the car as it is now, from day shots.. cause i apologize i was only able to take night shots at the time.

and thanks Mike and everyone else who has been supportive in this, There are some great people in this city.

f150mikey060
10-17-2007, 12:47 AM
you are very welcome for everything Shane. thank you for letting me work on that beauty of a car :D
hopefully i can swing by tommarow and snag the wiring harness out.
and like always, if you need help wiith anything you have my number
damn i should go to bed. talk to you tommarow

Antonito
10-17-2007, 07:44 AM

What I’m emphasizing is, do not dismiss him as a human being; undoubtedly he made a stupendous mistake and ultimately he had to pay for it with his life. All too often you hear of good people getting behind the wheel. Real shitty

That's great. Still doesn't mean that you should be giving the OP a hard time because he wasn't making a big enough deal about how sad he is about a guy that he never met dying.

300zxfairlday
10-17-2007, 11:11 PM
sorrry for your losss

Lt247
10-19-2007, 10:40 AM
Just to clarify,
Autodreams Supplier sent out the wrong part, not Autodream ordered the wrong part.
Their company has been very good in regards to the situation and has offered their full support on rebuilding the vehicle if it is fixable.

Kennyredline
10-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Sad story anytime someone dies.

But I believe most people make the decision to drink and drive while they are sober. Ive had many friends in the past who would drink and drive regularly. They would drive to the bar, get loaded, and then drive home; often times the car would be full of their drunk friends who knew when they were going to the bar that theyd be driving with a drunk driver.

ASIDE: Usually its the driver that survives and a passenger that gets killed (or an innocent 3rd party out on the road). As tragic as it is, it seems more fair with the result of this accident.

totally true. if a person drives to the bar it's all over, they made their choice. once they start drinking, their judgment is fucked, and they believe they can drive just fine. it is up to everyone else to sit on them if necessary to prevent drunk-driving collisions.