PDA

View Full Version : Honda's PR campagin against buying american

denbert
10-16-2007, 09:34 AM
I guess Honda has decided to launch a PR campaign against buying a car from the US.

news article (http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=5829)

I applauded them when they offered their own eco-rebate since the civic was excluded from eco-rebate program, but this is just crap.

picmerollin
10-16-2007, 09:53 AM
its all about the dollars and they wanted to profit from the parity and since we are not all sheep who will blindly take what they give us for prices they are getting a little sweaty.

i will never buy a honda because of this.

nissan has no problems validating my warranty on my american car that i spent $12000 less on because of the US/canada price disparity. i love seeing mph, it reminds me of all the money i saved.

Ferio_vti
10-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Why Do Canadian-Specification Honda Motorcycles, ATVs and Power Equipment Products Make Good Sense for Canadian Consumers?

They never said anything about cars.

T78Supra1
10-16-2007, 11:47 AM
From What I noticed with my parents Lexus. Before we bought it from the states the canadian dealer said they would not warranty the car. We said screw the dealer a bought the car from seatle. We had a problem with the wipers and took it to the lexus dealer off heritage and to our surprise they took the car in and they warranteed it.

The truth is most dealers make more money on the warranty and service then they do in sales. I think allot of it is just Empty threats.

Auditor
10-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Lexus has the same BS on there website:

http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/experience/en/home/whatsnew/whatsnew_news.jsp#Why_Buy

clem24
10-16-2007, 03:27 PM
^^ That Lexus site is really a stretch. Almost like they gathered a bunch of guys into a room for a few days and tried to brainstorm even the most remote differences that might exist. Love the block heater bit.. Yay, I get a free $25 block heater in Canada! Only a $10,000 option vs. buying from the US! What a deal! All season tires! Vs. No season tires! "Optional" towing packages! Heated mirrors that are also available in our US models! :rolleyes:

All the more reason to stick it to them, I say.

mark4091
10-16-2007, 04:12 PM
They can lower the prices or stfu as far as I'm concerned.

heavyD
10-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by clem24
^^ That Lexus site is really a stretch. Almost like they gathered a bunch of guys into a room for a few days and tried to brainstorm even the most remote differences that might exist. Love the block heater bit.. Yay, I get a free $25 block heater in Canada! Only a $10,000 option vs. buying from the US! What a deal! All season tires! Vs. No season tires! "Optional" towing packages! Heated mirrors that are also available in our US models! :rolleyes:

All the more reason to stick it to them, I say.

I agree. What a crock:

Heavy-duty heaters, batteries, and alternators; (Sounds like BS)
High capacity window washer fluid reservoirs; (It's possible but I doubt it)
More robust weather stripping and seals; (Absolute BS)
Added paint chip protection; (Absolute BS)
Mudguards; (Whip-te-do)
Block heaters; (Welcome to 1970)
All-season tires; (Is a downgrade $$$-wise over performance summer tires)
An outside temperature gauge; (BS as US cars have this as well)
Heated mirrors; (I do know that some non-Canadian vehicles may not have this)
Towing packages (for SUVs); (Because only Canadians drive SUV's? :rolleyes:)

So they are trying to justify maybe $100 dollars extra costing Canadians thousands of dollars? This may work on senior citizens but who else could be this retarded?

autosm
10-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by picmerollin
its all about the dollars and they wanted to profit from the parity and since we are not all sheep who will blindly take what they give us for prices they are getting a little sweaty.

i will never buy a honda because of this.

nissan has no problems validating my warranty on my american car that i spent $12000 less on because of the US/canada price disparity. i love seeing mph, it reminds me of all the money i saved.

Did you buy a brand new Nissan ? I am told they will not warranty it if it was not redgistered in the US for 6 months ?

60MPH =100kmph .60c =1.00 Dollar is that what you mean ?LOL

Xtrema
10-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

I agree. What a crock:

Mudguards; (Whip-te-do)

So they are trying to justify maybe $100 dollars extra costing Canadians thousands of dollars? This may work on senior citizens but who else could be this retarded?

Sounds like we need to do some mythbusting.

anyone want to volunteer their US spec Lexus and go head2head with a Canadian one and blog it? :D

BTW, I don't think I used a block heater for almost 10 years now.

1) I don't park outside
2) Most parking lots don't provide electrical outlet

mark4091
10-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

I agree. What a crock:

Mudguards; (Whip-te-do)

:werd:
Exactly, if ours are soooo much better that they're worth 10k more why do they even care if we go down south to buy a lesser car.

and on that note, if were such a small market why would they bother to change the cars just for us?

full of shit.

Redlyne_mr2
10-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by T78Supra1
From What I noticed with my parents Lexus. Before we bought it from the states the canadian dealer said they would not warranty the car. We said screw the dealer a bought the car from seatle. We had a problem with the wipers and took it to the lexus dealer off heritage and to our surprise they took the car in and they warranteed it.

The truth is most dealers make more money on the warranty and service then they do in sales. I think allot of it is just Empty threats.
Im not sure who they talked to but they were given the wrong info. Lexus warranty is transferable.

Redlyne_mr2
10-16-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Sounds like we need to do some mythbusting.

anyone want to volunteer their US spec Lexus and go head2head with a Canadian one and blog it? :D

BTW, I don't think I used a block heater for almost 10 years now.

1) I don't park outside
2) Most parking lots don't provide electrical outlet
There reasons are legitamite..canadian cars are more robust in how they are built ... however I agree that it doesnt come anywhere near to covering the huge price difference. Who ever put that on the Lexus site made a huge mistake, that should have never been done IMO. Not fair to want to stick it to the Canadian dealers though because of a decision made by the manufacturer. :(

89s1
10-16-2007, 05:36 PM
yeah and we get daytime running lights too, cuz in the winter we're too far north for the sun to even come up in the winter :rolleyes:

sounds like :bullshit:

clem24
10-17-2007, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Not fair to want to stick it to the Canadian dealers though because of a decision made by the manufacturer. :(

Yes it's VERY FAIR. It's not my fault that the dealers are caught in the middle. It's not my fault I can't buy cars direct from Lexus Canada. So what, write a letter and tell them to lower prices? While in the mean time, I'll go and buy your car anyway? I say too bad.

About the only way things will change is if everyone goes to the USA to buy a car (highly unlikely). Then the dealers will finally put pressure on Lexus Canada to lower prices (or raise American prices, which won't happen). Otherwise, nothing will change.

And about the washer tanks, yes my parents' 07 USA Odyssey has a 2L tank vs. 4L Canadian tank. BIG FUCKING WOOP. :whocares:

picmerollin
10-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by autosm

Did you buy a brand new Nissan ? I am told they will not warranty it if it was not redgistered in the US for 6 months ?

60MPH =100kmph .60c =1.00 Dollar is that what you mean ?LOL

no i bought used so it was registered for the min 6 mos

about the mph thing- i just meant it reminds me about the deal i got when i hop in (compared to my cdn pathfinder) i was looking at cdn cars, decided what i wanted then made it happen usa style for way less.

Coryz
10-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Manufacturers lowering the prices in Canada would completely kill the used vehicle market, probably end up putting some used car operations under.

98brg2d
10-20-2007, 07:56 PM
Kind of off topic but the Acura dealership on Macleod is selling fully loaded 2006 CSXs for like $5000 off right now ($26,900 with leather and nav), that should combat cross border buying more than their stupid press release.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Honda/Acura but I thought some people would like to know this pricing and this seemed like a decent place for it and I figured I would get flamed for posting a new thread.

C4S
10-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Do we need to pay the Green Levy tax for a car from US? even slightly used ?? :dunno:

Graham_A_M
10-21-2007, 12:03 AM
The link didn't work for me, but either way, just yet another reason not buy a jap car:thumbsup:

clem24
10-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by 98brg2d
Kind of off topic but the Acura dealership on Macleod is selling fully loaded 2006 CSXs for like $5000 off right now ($26,900 with leather and nav), that should combat cross border buying more than their stupid press release.

Well, it'd be a littlet tough trying to cross border shop for a CSX since they don't really sell them down there... :rofl:

In any case, looks like Honda joined Toyota and has officially banned all sales to Canadians. Guess we were lucky to jump in before they dropped this ugly bomb. :thumbsdow

98brg2d
10-23-2007, 08:11 PM
haha I forgot about csx not being in the US!

Toms-SC
10-23-2007, 08:36 PM
WordPress database error: [You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ORDER BY post_date ASC LIMIT 1' at line 1]
SELECT ID,post_title FROM wp_posts INNER JOIN wp_post2cat ON wp_posts.ID= wp_post2cat.post_id AND (category_id = 0) WHERE post_date > '' AND post_date < '2007-10-23 22:34:24' AND post_status = 'publish' AND ID != ORDER BY post_date ASC LIMIT 1

Owned by IT!

thrasher22
10-23-2007, 09:51 PM
No way!! Honda is trying to make as much money as they can on suckers!?! This is unheard of in the consumer world!
I'm not saying I'm happy with it, but thats business.

This is among the reason why I'd only buy used ;)