PDA

View Full Version : Need an inspector in Calgary

renegade13
10-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Hey,

You guys did a great job recommending where I find a mechanic in Regina, now I'm hoping you can point me to someone in Calgary. I'm looking at purchasing a used car in Calgary and need to have a mechanic inspect it before I buy it. Who can do a very detailed inspection for me here in Calgary?

Thanks.

89s1
10-16-2007, 05:16 PM
i have no reccomendations for you, I do my own work :dunno:

BUT!

if im gunna go look at a car i bring 2 magnets, a thin shitty one that barely hangs on the fridge, and a better one for when the weak one finds bondo.

but i only buy shitty old imports.

driving the car and having a good look at everything is your best bet. you'll be more thourough than a mechanic if you're serious anyway. most of what they are gunna do is what you can do yourself, they'll just get to be standing cuz the car will be on a hoist.

-look at all the tires, make sure they are alright
-bounce the suspension at all 4 corners
-look at dipstick and (after the drive) under the oil cap
-look for ripped or torn boots under the car (not just CV's, ball joints all have a rubber boot as well.
-check for major leaks on the guys driveway and under the car itself.
-drive the car as if you own it, if the owner gets shaken up by a couple hard romps on it, he might be worried....
-look for signs of a repaint (overspray on trim, or on light lenses)
bring a floor jack, and jackthe front then back end up, try to wiggle the tires top to bottom and then side to side, they should be tight, but the side to side may move the steering rack, so keep that in mind.

but yeah, i could go on for days. if you're worried about finding a mechanic you trust, dont use one, trust yourself.