PDA

View Full Version : PDA Questions

thw_goalie
10-16-2007, 11:25 PM
So my 3-year plan is almost up with Bell. I'm looking to either sign another contract with Bell, or switch. I have a few questions...

1. What kind of offers should I expect from Bell to get me to sign with them? Someone said if I want a new PDA I will get $450 off the "no contract" price of the PDA, is this true? Any offers for rate plans I can expect?

2. Do I need a data plan with a PDA to access my internet/email, etc if it's wi-fi enabled?

3. Or can I just get a normal talk plan and I can use the wi-fi for email/internet access for free?

I'm specifically looking at the HTC 5800 or 6800, if you're interested.

Thanks!

ronaldo
10-16-2007, 11:31 PM
1) i think its $250..don't quote me on that

2) no if its wifi enabled you dont really need the data plan as long as u have hotspots when needed, and dont need the constant data connection

3) thats what i do, have a normal plan with the htc 6800 on bell and just use wifi whenever i need data for free.

ps: i dont think the 5800 has wifi

thw_goalie
10-16-2007, 11:39 PM
I go to U of C so I'd have that connection all day, and my house has a wireless router, so I'd be good here too (not that I need it here.)

You're right about the 5800 not having wi-fi.

Anyone know of any other alternative PDA's that are cheaper than the 6800 that have wi-fi, even from a different carrier?

This all depends on how much of a discount Bell will offer me, haha.

thw_goalie
10-17-2007, 06:05 AM
Bump.

GoChris
10-17-2007, 08:09 AM
i know telus MAKES you get a data plan for the first 6 months on a pda if you get a contract price on them. I have a pda with wifi and almost never use it, but I don't have wifi at work I'm allowed to use or I would. if I was at the u of c w/ wifi i'd get a phone with it. just make sure you can charge during the day because it will chew up your battery more than an evdo connection being on all day.

ronaldo
10-17-2007, 08:44 AM
yeah for me it just makes more sense not to pay for a data plan because work, school and home is where i spend most of my time and i can get access to a wireless network in all three places.

and GoChris is right about the battery, leaving wifi on for long periods of time really kills your battery fast

thw_goalie
10-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the info, guys.

I'm going to try to make Bell match Telus's $25 My Faves plan plus the $10 Spark package. Bell also has the HTC 6800 on right now for $199.99, so in total I'm shooting for:

- Bell match Telus's My Faves 25 plan
- Bell match Telus's $10 Spark package add-on
- HTC 6800 for $199.99

Think it's do-able?

thw_goalie
10-17-2007, 11:54 PM
Bump!

94SSEi
10-18-2007, 08:38 AM
I think you're going to be SOL. The deals on data devices are only really smoking when you get both a voice and data plan, because that's how dealer recoup the cost of the phone (well at least make it so we still get SOME comission). Keep in mind that even at cost most of these device are easily $400+

For example I can give people a BlackBerry Pearl for FREE, but ONLY with a $40 voice and $40 data on a new 3 year activation...otherwise I lose money.

So I can't say for sure with Bell, but it would have to be a really nice salesman because he is probably giving it to you at very near cost for that price. Not much incentive for him...

thw_goalie
10-18-2007, 09:02 AM
Ahh, okay.

We're dealing directly with the head office (over the phone)... think that will make a difference? Or no?

94SSEi
10-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Well it's more likely, but you will still be talking to a salesperson who makes commission on the other end of the phone, same as if you were talking to someone like me in store.

Better chance they will match Telus' plans though, they alway give company reps more flexibility with plans than dealers, which is absolutely frustrating.

thw_goalie
10-18-2007, 09:15 AM
Yeah, basically they said tell us what plan you want and we will probably match it. It's basically the same as Bell's plan, just with a couple better things (free texts to 5 people, more minutes, etc.)

Usually these companies plans are completely the same, so I'm wondering why Bell isn't offering the same features as Telus on their Fave 5 plan.

thw_goalie
10-18-2007, 11:02 PM
I talked with Bell today and they said I HAVE to pay $25 extra on top of any plan I get to have the "data plan." I've heard I don't need a data plan if the phone has a wi-fi connection... is this true? They said the phone won't work without it and I HAVE to have it.

Minus that $25, everything else went perfect. :)

Let me know!

GoChris
10-19-2007, 06:07 PM
it will work without it. unless contract wise they say you need a data plan

thw_goalie
10-19-2007, 08:43 PM
They didn't actually say contract wise, they said I needed it for the phone to work. I guess they may say I need it contract wise if I let them know that I know I don't need it. :p

94SSEi
10-20-2007, 09:31 AM
Yeah that's complete BS, you can activate a BlackBerry etc on a Pay as you Go if you really wanted.

thw_goalie
10-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Got it figured out!

Here's my new plan:

$40/month

-200 day-time minutes
-Free after 6pm-8am (evenings and weekends)
-Call waiting, etc.
-20 unlimited (length) calls to one number
-Unlimited text messaging
-HTC 6800 for $199

I just need to go in and get my phone now. I can't go tomorrow because the Bell store is going to have to phone customer service to get authorization to give me the phone for $199, since it's a really good price and they don't believe me, and customer service is closed tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for your help! :)

94SSEi
10-21-2007, 12:33 AM
Nice, that's a really good price. Good bargaining! haha

Enjoy!

thw_goalie
10-21-2007, 12:52 AM
I'm pretty happy with it. :) As long as I get the phone... the store I went to didn't seem too happy about it and said they'll need to phone customer service when they're open on Monday.