PDA

View Full Version : Taco Del Mar

clem24
10-17-2007, 04:29 PM
So has anyone eaten here yet? Thoughts? I know there's one in Falconridge and one on 130th SE. I think it's a US chain.

van
10-17-2007, 04:35 PM
I ate it in California, the dang place is open 24 hours 7 days a week hahaha...

buh_buh
10-17-2007, 04:47 PM
There's one in Edmonton.
I didn't think it was that good.

jdmakkord
10-17-2007, 04:48 PM
I ate there downtown Vancouver a couple of times...better than subway....though thats not saying much.

USHER
10-17-2007, 04:56 PM
taste nasty to me would rather go to taco time

Wraith
10-17-2007, 05:04 PM
im craving taco bell right now... even if their work place is a dump the food is damn good

turbo'dGSR
10-17-2007, 05:17 PM
I ate at the 130th one...it wasnt too bad...pretty good.

rockym20
10-17-2007, 05:21 PM
I went to the one on 130th and it sucked. Plus the service was really bad. There was only one family in front of us and we must have waited 10+ minutes to finally get our order. Not exactly fast food...

sputnik
10-17-2007, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by rockym20
I went to the one on 130th and it sucked. Plus the service was really bad. There was only one family in front of us and we must have waited 10+ minutes to finally get our order. Not exactly fast food...

Agreed. That place is HORRIBLE.

My wife ordered a veggie burrito and it was 99% rice. They are super cheap with the toppings and their food is overpriced. Taco Time and Taco Bell are both WAY better and cheaper.

BoS_DC2
10-17-2007, 10:09 PM
Oh dayum, glad i didn't go to the one here in Surrey.. :drool: Taco Bell..

f150mikey060
10-17-2007, 10:16 PM
ya the one on 130 sucks. only one ive been too

my taco was all soggy :thumbsdow

Lucky97
10-17-2007, 10:32 PM
its gross. and it smells like someone took a shit in your mouth

turbo'dGSR
10-17-2007, 10:52 PM
lol! Damn guess I got lucky then...I'll def agree though Tacotime is better...but thats obvious.

Dave P
10-18-2007, 08:15 AM
There is one by my place here in edmonton, I think its damn good

Godfuader
10-18-2007, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by jdmakkord
I ate there downtown Vancouver a couple of times...better than subway....though thats not saying much.
The one behind the Four Seasons was the best place ever. Its always my first step after checking in. :thumbsup:

clem24
10-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Hmm... OK I guess the general consensus is :thumbsdow to Del Mar. Ah well!

blinkme_210
10-19-2007, 12:30 AM
Fuck Taco Del Mar. I stopped by on my way home today, because I read this last night. Man... that was the most dissatisfying & disgusting meal I have ever had. The worst part is paying $10 for what basically amounted to dog food, hell I wouldn't even serve this to a dog!

Beans looked, smelled and tasted like ass. They skimp on the regurgitated "meats", if you can call it that. I surely didn't taste any steak in my platter. Stay the hell away from that place, it's worst than Dairy Queen, and DQ is pretty low already.

VWEvo
10-19-2007, 12:18 PM
I've eaten at the one in NE a couple of times, I thought it was awesome. The chips and salsa taste great. Maybe I just have low standards.

lewdvig
10-19-2007, 01:17 PM
Huge. Tortilla like saran wrap. Expensive IMO. Two little scoops of meat. Guac is $1 extra (Sour cream too). Poor value IMO.

I think Chico's Tecate Bar in the NE better.

And Taco Time beats both. + its a Calgary company.

clem24
10-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by lewdvig
I think Chico's Tecate Bar in the NE better.

That got replaced by a Taco Time eons ago.

jdmakkord
10-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Best Taco's I've had were at avacado. Cost a lot more, but they were great, and they serve beer there too
:D

gran turismo
10-19-2007, 01:40 PM
I call it Taco Del Shit. I've eaten at the one in Edmonton. It looked like all the "meats" were boiled. Yes, even the shredded chicken. It also looked like the "meat" and the other various toppings had been sitting in their containers for a long time. It was expensive for the dog food you get. Definitely stay away from Taco Del Shit unless you're constipated. Then I totally recommend them.

blinkme_210
10-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by gran turismo
I call it Taco Del Shit. I've eaten at the one in Edmonton. It looked like all the "meats" were boiled. Yes, even the shredded chicken. It also looked like the "meat" and the other various toppings had been sitting in their containers for a long time. It was expensive for the dog food you get. Definitely stay away from Taco Del Shit unless you're constipated. Then I totally recommend them.

I'm pretty sure the toppings had been sitting there for the entire day. You can see the "skin" forming in the bean bins. The rice that I also had was horrendous, like basically eating uncooked rice. And everything tastes so bland, no hint of any seasoning.

Omfg.... and don't even get me started on the family that runs the place. They can barely speak a word of English, and when you ask them about items on the menu, they just tell you it's all the same, or they ignore you like they can't hear you. When I went in, I tried to ask the son (presume) what was a build your own platter, and he tried to tell me it doesn't exist and that it's all the same, like WTF?!?! The only knowledgeable person there was the owner, and even he wasn't that great; just a step up from being totally fucking clueless.

herragge
10-20-2007, 10:45 PM
hahahaha your experience with taco del mar, exactly describes my experience with them last night.

I asked for the quesidilla platter. I got the mondo platter. I ask for chicken, I get beef. I ask for extra guacamole and he ignores me. And not to mention anything that comes out of the guys mouth is completely undecipherable. Guy was a complete prick too, I want to taco shit on his face.

aespana
10-20-2007, 10:56 PM
I think it is good the one in Falcon ridge good service a little slow but way better than taco time and taco Bell

szw
10-20-2007, 11:49 PM

And Taco Time beats both. + its a Calgary company.

Taco time isn't a calgary company

redblack
10-21-2007, 02:06 AM
I tried the falconridge location tonight, i must say that the portions are small, its expensive for what you get. In my opinion taco time is much better.

clem24
10-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Fuck this thread gets worse and worse with each post!!! :rofl:

sputnik
10-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by szw

Actually Taco Bell Canada Inc. is owned by a Calgarian.

lewdvig
10-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by szw

Yeah, Taco Time Canada is.

Run by Ken Pattendon, HQ just SE of Chinook. A real success story. EDO Japan is Calgary based too.

http://www.tacotimecanada.com/contact.php

ricefarmer
10-23-2007, 08:07 PM
haha I ate at the Taco Shit Mar on 52nd ave SE I didn't go in with very high expectations, therefore I was not disapointed. how can you fuck up mexican food? Enchiladas or whatever the fuck they are called, covered in meat/salsa/sauce and chow down!

but ya it sucked

clem24
10-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by ricefarmer
how can you fuck up mexican food?

Umm... Just about every Mexican place in Calgary manages to fuck it up... :rofl:

HuMz
10-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Umm... Just about every Mexican place in Calgary manages to fuck it up... :rofl:

So true, its funny how more of the mexican places (essp fast food) are all run by asians, yet if you go eat chinese food down in some of the southern states its run by mexicans, it would be so much better if they just switched.

2000_SI
10-24-2007, 03:13 PM

Yeah, Taco Time Canada is.

Run by Ken Pattendon, HQ just SE of Chinook. A real success story. EDO Japan is Calgary based too.

http://www.tacotimecanada.com/contact.php
:thumbsup: Good info (even though its spelled Pattenden ;) )

Yeah, the Taco Time's in Canada shouldnt be confused with the ones from the States, they are opperated by different companies. Taco Time Canada was actually started down in Lethbridge. They bought the rights from Taco Time International (now owned by Kalhala) to franchise solely in Canada.

:thumbsup: to Calgary based companies! Tom Donaldson (President of Edo Japan) lives on my street. :rofl:

frozenrice
10-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Bump for an old thread.

I was just going througha SUTP and came across a coupon for Taco Del Mar. It says there's a location near Mt Royal college. The address comes up on google, but to my recollection, I haven't seen anything when I've driven past where it says it's supposed to be. Called the number and got voicemail though.

:dunno:

bubbley
10-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by frozenrice
Bump for an old thread.

I was just going througha SUTP and came across a coupon for Taco Del Mar. It says there's a location near Mt Royal college. The address comes up on google, but to my recollection, I haven't seen anything when I've driven past where it says it's supposed to be. Called the number and got voicemail though.

:dunno:

Its in the Mt Royal school food court

TYMSMNY
10-26-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by 2000_SI

:thumbsup: Good info (even though its spelled Pattenden ;) )

Yeah, the Taco Time's in Canada shouldnt be confused with the ones from the States, they are opperated by different companies. Taco Time Canada was actually started down in Lethbridge. They bought the rights from Taco Time International (now owned by Kalhala) to franchise solely in Canada.

:thumbsup: to Calgary based companies! Tom Donaldson (President of Edo Japan) lives on my street. :rofl:

Taco Time Canada was bought out in November... Ken has also retired. ;)

van
10-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Mucho Burrito
www.muchoburrito.com

104-11658 Sarcee Trail NW
Calgary, AB T3R 0A1
(403) 295-9100

---

That place reminds me of a place I ate at when I was down in OC, I think the place was called Chipotle or something so good and just a lot of everything inside your burrito or whatever you get.

Nissanaddict
11-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by van
Mucho Burrito
www.muchoburrito.com

104-11658 Sarcee Trail NW
Calgary, AB T3R 0A1
(403) 295-9100

---

That place reminds me of a place I ate at when I was down in OC, I think the place was called Chipotle or something so good and just a lot of everything inside your burrito or whatever you get.

They just opened one down the street from the 130th TDM as well, and I've heard Shawnessy's got one. I think it's definitely better. No ground beef last I checked though, which is...weird. The chicken's wicked though.

ee2k
11-03-2009, 09:34 PM
I have eaten at both NE locations (no I don't live there). I have also eaten in the US.

The only thing that's good about it is that, for a taco, it is more filling than what you get at Taco Time. However, the ingredients appear to have stewed there ALL DAY LONG every time I went here in Calgary. This disturbs me especially since there is minimal traffic at these locations, so you can imagine the turnover on ingredients.

The one I have been in the US was better, fresher ingredients. More traffic, also US portions so it was bigger. I'd go back in the US, most likely not in Calgary again.

tenth
11-08-2009, 09:11 PM
I like the one in 5th avenue place. All of their business comes in the course of an hour and half though, so maybe freshness isn't the same issue. Seems to do really well, there's always huge lineups at lunch, and they push you through there pretty quickly.

5000Audi
11-08-2009, 09:37 PM
that place sucks, went there once to give her a try. got a chicken taco thing. she put like 4 massive scoops of rice on it.. i was like ok.. then grabs this we little scoop and puts 2 on my taco.. this once it was spread along the taco it was barly noticable. so it was gross.. then i got nacos and cheese for the side rather then rice.. the cheese was terrible.. so runny and didnt even taste like cheese..

Well ive been there once, and never go back again.. Taco time FTW taco bell is meteoker but still better then taco dell mar

nonlinear
11-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Taco Del Mar is supposed to specialize in fish tacos... and the name means, literally, "taco of the sea." however, you'll notice that not a single franchise in Alberta carries fish tacos, even though they all have it posted prominently on their menu. I've inquired with two owners (okotoks and another location in south Calgary) as to why they don't carry fish, and was told that all franchises in Alberta told the parent company that they wouldn't carry fish any longer because "Albertan's don't like fish tacos." PFFT. i've been to 2 locations seeking out fish, for christ sakes! and if this is REALLY true, and fish doesn't sell here, WHY IN THE FUCK WOULD YOU OPEN A FISH TACO RESTAURANT. do your fucking homework :facepalm:

the worst part is that in the south location, after I had ordered fish off the menu but then told they don't carry it, the East Indian owner started telling the guy behind me how he wishes he could sell "samosas and things that people actually eat." :rolleyes: what kind of fucking moron immigrates from india to calgary to open a fish taco stand that sells samosas? why didn't he just open an 'india palace of eats' or something if he wanted to sell somasos.

Pollywog
11-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
fucking moron immigrates from india

I happen to be fairly close to the owners of the 130th ave location (I assume that is the south location you are referring to). These "fucking moron immigrates from india" are two of the nicest individuals I have ever met, and they have had struggles with the business ever since they bought the franchise a few years back. The fact is that literally no one was buying the fish tacos but rather everything else, and they were constantly having to dispose of expiring product. The buying trend didn't change, and it only made sense that rather than continually lose money on it to rather simply stop ordering it in the quantities that they were.

For you to bash them with the nice racist context as you did for simply making a necessary sacrifice to help keep the already struggling place afloat is not only self-righteous, but straight up fucking rude.

nonlinear
11-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog

...they have had struggles with the business ever since they bought the franchise a few years back. The fact is that literally no one was buying the fish tacos but rather everything else, and they were constantly having to dispose of expiring product. The buying trend didn't change, and it only made sense that rather than continually lose money on it to rather simply stop ordering it in the quantities that they were.

I suppose they should have thought about that before they opened a restaurant called "Taco of the Sea."

These "fucking moron immigrates from india" are two of the nicest individuals I have ever met...

For you to bash them with the nice racist context as you did for simply making a necessary sacrifice to help keep the already struggling place afloat is not only self-righteous, but straight up fucking rude.

it's funny that you play the racist card here. i'm simply mentioning he was east indian to demonstrate how silly it is for him to open a fish taco shop, and then complain to the customers that he wishes he could be selling the cuisine of his native land. there isn't a shred of racism in that line of thinking.

EDIT: and i used "immigrates" as a verb, not a noun as you are trying to insinuate above. your misinterpretation changes the meaning and connotations substantially. should have paid more attention in english class, i suppose.

Mixalot27
11-08-2009, 10:29 PM
I've been to the 130th ave location twice. The owner is a really nice, personable guy. He always seems very appreciative for the business and thanks me for coming. Unfortunately the food is really bad and very overpriced. It kind of reminds me of a mexican version of a hospital or school cafeteria. Its just a very bland, mushy and poor quality. For those reasons I wouldn't return. I'd rather go to taco bell or taco time, both of which are slightly better and less expensive in my opinion.

Pollywog
11-08-2009, 10:33 PM

I suppose they should have thought about that before they opened a restaurant called "Taco of the Sea."

The make money from the beef/chicken tacos and samosas, whereas they make zero from the fish tacos. I don't know what kind of education you have, but mine suggests that a good business move would be to focus more on what is selling well rather than try to push something that doesn't. Wendy's fish sandwich anyone? The fact is that you are one of the very few in calgary who seeks them out.
----------------

it's funny that you play the racist card here. i'm simply mentioning he was east indian
Really? Could've fooled me. :facepalm:

fucking moron immigrates from india
----------------

your misinterpretation changes the meaning and connotations substantially. should have paid more attention in english class, i suppose.
As I said above, how foolish of me to interpret "fucking moron immigrates from india" as racist rather than constructive speech. To add, I have enough school under my belt already however thanks for the suggestion.

:facepalm:

Pollywog
11-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Mixalot27
I've been to the 130th ave location twice. The owner is a really nice, personable guy. He always seems very appreciative for the business and thanks me for coming. Unfortunately the food is really bad and very overpriced. It kind of reminds me of a mexican version of a hospital or school cafeteria. Its just a very bland, mushy and poor quality. For those reasons I wouldn't return. I'd rather go to taco bell or taco time, both of which are slightly better and less expensive in my opinion.

He is an awesome guy, and as you said - very appreciative of your business. I did forget to add however, as I got to caught up correcting the crass crap above me, that I do however find the food terrible and overpriced.

frozenrice
11-08-2009, 10:37 PM

Nonlinear has a good point. I don't see how his comment comes across as racist. If you immigrate here to Canada, and choose to open an ethnic type restraunt of a totally different culture than from where you're from, what do you expect? It's no different if they had opened a Chinese restraunt and wished they sold butter chicken instead of fried rice. Why not just open an Indian restraunt then?

Remember Babu from Seinfeld?

o41E4MCwLbs&feature=related

Pollywog
11-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice

Nonlinear has a good point. I don't see how his comment comes across as racist. If you immigrate here to Canada, and choose to open an ethnic type restraunt of a totally different culture than from where you're from, what do you expect? It's no different if they had opened a Chinese restraunt and wished they sold butter chicken instead of fried rice. Why not just open an Indian restraunt then?

I respect your opinion, but the fact is that it is far too expensive (and they don't have the money) to try to get rid of the franchise and start another rather than try to improve their own. If I had a bakery, but my meat pies were the only thing I sold, you bet your ass I'd be making the best damn meat pies I could and putting my bread second. Pizza hut advertises their pasta more now than they do their pizza. Wendy's used to advertise their salads more than their burgers. Dominoes advertises their sandwiches more than their pizza, etc.

If you want to make money, you go where the money is - not beg it to come to you.

nonlinear
11-08-2009, 10:41 PM

I don't know what kind of education you have, but mine suggests that a good business move would be to focus more on what is selling well rather than try to push something that doesn't.

my point exactly.... and somehow you're trying to convince me that selling samosas out of a shop called "Taco of the Sea" makes sense? you've GOT to be kidding me :rofl:

As I said above, how foolish of me to interpret "fucking moron immigrates from india" as racist rather than constructive speech. To add, I have enough school under my belt already however thanks for the suggestion.

The problem is that 1) you've taken my quote out of context, and 2) you're assuming immigrates (verb) = immigrants (noun) - which would mean i'm calling all indian immigrants idiots. however, i'm not... i'm calling the guy an idiot because he immigrated to sell tacos and now complains to customers that he wants to sell samosas instead. where's the racism in that?

5000Audi
11-08-2009, 10:42 PM

I respect your opinion, but the fact is that it is far too expensive (and they don't have the money) to try to get rid of the franchise and start another rather than try to improve their own. If I had a bakery, but my meat pies were the only thing I sold, you bet your ass I'd be making the best damn meat pies I could and putting my bread second.

guess it was a mistake to buy such a shitty franchise then.. but i dont think Taco del mar would let them change up the menu and cook indian food...

Pollywog
11-08-2009, 10:47 PM

my point exactly.... and somehow you're trying to convince me that selling samosas out of a shop called "Taco of the Sea" makes sense? you've GOT to be kidding me :rofl:

I said it makes money, I didn't mention anything about the relation to the name. Are you saying they should cut the samosas and instead go bankrupt by unsuccessfully selling products that don't sell? Simply brilliant, you must possess the same business degree I do.

Originally posted by 5000Audi

guess it was a mistake to buy such a shitty franchise then.. but i dont think Taco del mar would let them change up the menu and cook indian food...
Unfortunately, you are absolutely correct. They understand this, they are just trying to make do for their family.

nonlinear
11-08-2009, 11:00 PM

Simply brilliant, you must possess the same business degree I do.

yea, i work in sales :rofl:

Pollywog
11-08-2009, 11:02 PM

yea, i work in sales :rofl:
Used cars?

Isaiah
11-08-2009, 11:02 PM
I have enough school under my belt already however thanks for the suggestion.

You've proven time and again that your ass is the only part of your body that processes thought. I'm sure I speak for much of Beyond when I say that I'm not surprised by your admission that whatever education you have is stored there.

nonlinear
11-08-2009, 11:05 PM

Used cars?

that's about what a business degree is worth, isn't it?

but i digress - we've pushed this way too far off topic :poosie:

Pollywog
11-08-2009, 11:16 PM

that's about what a business degree is worth, isn't it?

I'd be more convinced of your "business intellect" and "sales expertise" if you had have refrained from dedicating an entire thread asking everyone how you buy a car from a used dealership and how to talk to a salesmen. But agreed, we have digressed enough for now.

nonlinear
11-08-2009, 11:19 PM
for the record, i don't have a business degree. in fact, i think most undergrad and grad business programs are silly, and i was trying to shit all over them. but i guess reading comprehension >>>>>>>>>>>>> pollywog.

but this isn't a thread about how to run a fucking business, it's a thread about a shithole taco chain plagued by corporate scandals (google it, Einstein) and marred by rogue franchise owners like your samosa-slinging butt buddy. i'm not trying to balance this guys books, i just want some fucking fish tacos. :rolleyes:

and yea, i'll take as much advice on how to negotiate with car dealership as I can find. somehow that's a bad thing? :dunno:

Pollywog
11-08-2009, 11:29 PM
for the record, i don't have a business degree.
I knew this as soon as you said you were in sales. It is common for the typical sales person to assume that they are inherently business experts as well (sans having an education).

this isn't a thread about how to run a fucking business
Your first post was about how they run their "fucking" business.

Are we done?

cannondale1
11-08-2009, 11:29 PM
marred by rogue franchise owners like your samosa-slinging butt buddy. i'm not trying to balance this guys books, i just want some fucking fish tacos.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

nonlinear
11-08-2009, 11:33 PM

I knew this as soon as you said you were in sales.

argh. :facepalm:

i'm not a salesperson, and actually i work in a entirely unrelated field. i was joking - making fun of the fact that you were trying to impress me with your silly business degree. that's what the little :rofl: indicates.

this really shouldn't be this easy :poosie:

Pollywog
11-08-2009, 11:35 PM
i work in a completely unrelated field.

:facepalm:

clem24
11-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Holy crap this thread is totally going in the wrong direction LOL. 2 years after starting it and I still have NOT gone to Taco Del Mar. Everytime I walk by I just can't quite seem to bring myself to buy something. And that Mucho Burrito place is mah mah... Just beware of the hot sauce. One of the first truly hot sauces that actually lives up to it's name.

sputnik
11-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Mucho Burrito place is mah mah.

What the hell does that mean?

:english:

frozenrice
11-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Assuming clem24 is Cantonese speaking, he's saying "It's so, so."

nonlinear
11-09-2009, 12:58 PM
And that Mucho Burrito place is mah mah...

yea, i got that impression looking at their website, although I do enjoy Chiplote (subsidary of McDonalds) and it looks similar, so I'll give it a try at some point

cannondale1
11-09-2009, 01:02 PM
This thread brought the lols. Thanks for the sig lines, gents.

narou
11-09-2009, 01:06 PM
My mom bought me this shit in Chestermere... :barf: