PDA

View Full Version : Importing from US, 2008 skyline to Canada.

Daxin
10-17-2007, 04:50 PM
A friend of mine is going to buy the 2008 Skyline when it comes to Canada, but since the dollar is at Parity, it would be a hell of lot cheaper to get one in the states and bring it up. Does anyone know if Nissan will allow Canadians to purchase this car and warranty it. I know a few Manufacturers won't, but haven't heard anything on Nissan. Also, I've checked the list of cars allowed to bring up to Canada and is not on the 2008 list.

Thanx

Repofspeed
10-17-2007, 06:34 PM
Nissan has stated that it would void its warranty if the first owner tries flipping it within in a year.

That being said, I can't seem to find the thread where it lists the warranties transfering over, but if I remember correctly Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Acura were the two that don't.

gpomp
10-17-2007, 08:36 PM
how do you know that it will be cheaper?

Team_Mclaren
10-17-2007, 08:41 PM
How do you know it'll be on the admissible list?

doublepostwhore
10-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Asked my buddy who is a salesman at nissan and he said nissan will not honor a us warranty.

Team_mclaren, it is on the list of RIV admissable cars. it is unmodified for canada/us.

In canada it will be base @ 87+K in the states mid 70's

Hakkola
10-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by doublepostwhore

In canada it will be base @ 87+K in the states mid 70's

:banghead: I could understand the argument that the dollar won't be at parity for long, but to jack up the price of a car that will be sold out of its entire production run shortly after it goes on sale is ludicrous.

Is there a RIV admissable list, or an RIV inadmissable list?

Daxin
10-17-2007, 08:58 PM
This was the list that I was refering to

Nissan list (http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/VAFUS/list/NISSAN_INFINITI.htm)

So, it is possible to import the Skyline, but without warranty?

95EagleAWD
10-17-2007, 09:02 PM
How do you know the car is going to be importable when it's not even out yet??

There's some goofy shit out there that isn't importable, like Elises, Exiges, Lambos, etc...

gpomp
10-17-2007, 09:03 PM
the skyline is MY 2009. and how do you know it will be cheaper to import it? you guys have inside connections at nissan canada or something?

Daxin
10-17-2007, 09:53 PM
I thought I'd start this thread to see from all angles from members to see if it was possible to import the Skyline and to see if it was worth it.

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-17-2007, 10:09 PM
It's not a feasible idea at this time. Not unless you have a time machine. :rofl:

calgarys13
10-17-2007, 10:19 PM
its not a skyline its a gtr

benyl
10-17-2007, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Daxin
I thought I'd start this thread to see from all angles from members to see if it was possible to import the Skyline and to see if it was worth it.

You are asking people to predict the future.

1. Nobody but Nissan knows the price and the price difference.
2. We do not know if Canada is getting the same version as the US.
3. Nissan Canada will not honour warranty off a new car, they will only honour a used car that has been bought and registered in the US for 6 months.
4. Nissan has stated that they are thinking of denying warranty to second owners if the car is sold within 1 calendar year.

5. Nobody on Beyond has a time Machine.

YamaLube
10-18-2007, 07:06 AM
NISSAN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nissan Canada

1-800-387-0122

5290 Orbitor Drive, Mississauga, ON L4W 4Z5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delayed Warranty Coverage

Nissan vehicles must first be registered in U.S. for coverage to apply. If the car moves to Canada after it is six months old the warranty will be valid. However, if a U.S. market car is brought to Canada and sold before the car is six months old, the warranty will be void.

picmerollin
10-18-2007, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by YamaLube
NISSAN
Nissan Canada

1-800-387-0122

5290 Orbitor Drive, Mississauga, ON L4W 4Z5

Delayed Warranty Coverage

Nissan vehicles must first be registered in U.S. for coverage to apply. If the car moves to Canada after it is six months old the warranty will be valid. However, if a U.S. market car is brought to Canada and sold before the car is six months old, the warranty will be void.

i can personally vouch for this after getting warranty work on my 05 350z last month at mills nissan, and yes the car was registered in the us from date of purchase (2005) till it was brought up here this summer.

there were no ?'s asked regarding origin of vehicle they just took the vin and did the work.

Daxin
10-19-2007, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
how do you know that it will be cheaper?

Have you not been listening to the news? For the same product you get in Canada and the States, it is roughly 24% more expensive here in Canada.

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
It's not a feasible idea at this time. Not unless you have a time machine. :rofl:

I don't have a time machine, but since the Skyline GTR is NOT on the 2008 Inadmissible list, it could be imported.

Also, I'd like to add that Subaru is currently allowing the sales of new cars to be imported back to Canada with a full warranty. Just a friends dad buy a Tribeca for $37000, which would of costed $52K here.

Team_Mclaren
10-19-2007, 07:55 PM

Have you not been listening to the news? For the same product you get in Canada and the States, it is roughly 24% more expensive here in Canada.

Have you not read the news, porsche is lowering their MRSP in Canada, and many other companies might follow, there's also a huge law suit against manufacturers which might force them to lower domestic dealership prices

I don't have a time machine, but since the Skyline GTR is NOT on the 2008 Inadmissible list, it could be imported.

so with that logic, I can import a 2012 Z06 because its not on the inadmissible list? I think you might encounter more problem than it not being on the inadmissible list

FishPoo
10-19-2007, 10:38 PM

Also, I'd like to add that Subaru is currently allowing the sales of new cars to be imported back to Canada with a full warranty. Just a friends dad buy a Tribeca for $37000, which would of costed $52K here.

Thought I should mention, yes they will allow the full warranty.

But you have to pay for it out-of-pocket to a local dealer and then get it reimbursed by Subaru America. Somewhat of a hassle for some people and who knows how long it takes them to send out cheques.

broken_legs
10-20-2007, 10:25 AM
I just got off the phone with a Nissan Dealership in Oregon

They sell to Canadians all the time. They even offered to get me a hotel for the night and book my flights for me.

wow.

Canadian Nissan dealerships wont honor the warranty, but you can still purchase the 2000 dollar warranty that adds 5 years of comprehensive and powertrain in addition to the manufacturers warranty

This is still honored in Canada

benyl
10-20-2007, 02:08 PM

Considering the car has not been released, it really doesn't matter that is isn't on the list. When it is released, it could go on the list.

Xtrema
10-20-2007, 03:35 PM
It's all speculation.

We all know by now how to import a car. Until Canadian MSRP is set and released, everything in this thread is pointless.

And if your name is not on the list right now, you're not getting one until 2009/2010 anyways.

Zephyr
10-21-2007, 12:43 AM
There's also a waiting list, unless you wanna pay a premium, then I'm sure the price would end up matching what you guys pay, if not even more.