PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Forces?

Pages : [1] 2

DannyO
10-17-2007, 08:15 PM
I was wondering if anyone on here has been/still is in the Canadian Forces, I want to know what your experience has been like and what you think of it?

I've been thinking for awhile about joining them (and even going back to England and joining the RAF) I'm looking at Pilot, a couple Naval Technician careers, and Imagery Technician, but Pilot is the main one I'm interested in.

Will appreciate any and all information.

Hakkola
10-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Do you have a degree?

Team_BMW
10-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Heh I was wonderin too... I wanna be a Medic :D

DannyO
10-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Yes, well its the equivalent of one, I got it in England, its a Computer Networking & Administration Degree I got at College, I know its part of the requirement to become a Pilot, I don't see a reason why they wouldn't recognize it.

Lanks
10-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Very very difficult to become a pilot in the Canadian Air force, Not sure what its like in the UK though... Requires a lengthy commitment after your 3 year training is complete as well (something like 7 years). Also no guarantee of what you'll be flying when you finish either rotary or fixed wing. However I don't think I've ever talked to an AF pilot up here who didn't love their job.

DannyO
10-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Thanks Lank, I'm not really bothered with the time involved, I just want a career that when I wake up each day, I look forward to going to work, and that it never feels like a job, I've had a job like that before, but its not one that can be turned into a career easily.

95EagleAWD
10-18-2007, 01:34 AM
I joined about a month ago... still in the paperwork process, but I joined as an Infantryman. Hopefully I'll have some answers about the process for ya!

nj2Type-S
10-18-2007, 08:16 AM
would be sweet to fly a cf/a-18 :drool:

DannyO
10-18-2007, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
I joined about a month ago... still in the paperwork process, but I joined as an Infantryman. Hopefully I'll have some answers about the process for ya!

Awesome, thanks man, appreciate it.

r1_boii
10-18-2007, 09:49 PM
becoming a pilot in the CF is very difficult, specially with the paperwork process, interview aptitude and medical examinations. Pilots usually go through different tests because of how strict the rules are.

i just got sworn in as an infantryman! yay haha but alot of the CF pilots i've talked to do not get to fly as much as they are suppose to, my friend is going to RMC right now and is taking up mechanical engineer, and hopefully becoming a pilot. it's a really lengthy process so you better be down for anything!

cheers

DannyO
10-18-2007, 10:42 PM
I'm fine with it taking a very long time, I wouldn't be expecting to be in a plane within a year of being shipped out, but I would not be happy with all the training and going threw the processes to end up being told they can't put me on one (unless I failed a test).

I would be looking at becoming a fighter pilot, but would like to end up as search and rescue, but I'm guessing most search and rescue is done by helicopter, which just wouldn't really work out after being trained for jets and other planes.

mark4091
10-18-2007, 10:51 PM
^ they train you for helicopter after jets, I was looking into it for after school, but the stuff they ask for is a bit much for me.

95EagleAWD
10-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Right off the bat: Do you have 20/20 vision?

nj2Type-S
10-19-2007, 07:44 AM
is it "easier" to become a fighter pilot for the usaf?

DannyO
10-19-2007, 05:42 PM
Right off the bat: Do you have 20/20 vision?

Haven't had them checked in a long time, but I believe so, I never have trouble with my eyes (unless I've gone a long time without sleep) I normally see better than most my friends, only person I know with better eyesight is my mums.

Lanks
10-19-2007, 07:26 PM
20/20 vision is not required anymore.

natejj
10-19-2007, 07:30 PM
I went to school at the same place the Military trains their Air Traffic guys. Talked to a lot of them, most of them wanted to be pilots, but like everyone else has stated, it is VERY hard. The reason being, I think is because we simply dont NEED a lot of them (it's CANADA....) and a lot of people want to do it.

Good luck.

Shogged
10-19-2007, 08:37 PM
To quote alot of other people so far, its very hard to be a pilot for the canadian air force. I've been a pilot for 2 years now, and I can't believe i made it through the training.

You start off with a little orientation, some physical tests and some very very basic training, basic as in stuff you should know before you want to be a pilot. That lasts 2 months, after which you head off to quebec for 8 months to learn a second language. (doesn't matter if you already speak it, you're learning it again) After that you get to pick what you want to train for.

Tactical Airlift (helicopters) - Flying the old sea kings or the new cyclones for search and rescue, or the bells for transport.

Strategic Airlift (Transport Aircraft) - This includes the herks and the new globemasters, which are your run of the mill heavy lifters. Also includes smaller jets like the learjets the PM uses, as well as the firefighting aircraft.

and finally, Fighters which is your CF-18 fanboys, and soon to be CF-35's which i assume they would start training for within the next 2 years.

I choose strategic airlift because as cool as a fighter pilot would be, they see next to no action whatsoever. Also the fighter class is a 4:2:1 ratio (fighter:strat:tact:) for people you're competing with and barely any of them make it through.

So when you pick your field, you head to either cold lake or trenton for the next few months to do simulator training, grueling physical workouts, and small training aircraft flights. By this time, 1/3rd of the class has given up because of the verbal beatings and 20 hour days they put you through.

Now this is up for debate, but I believe that when half the class quits, you get to start flying the real thing. Some people say its usually a year, i've heard stories of longer durations, i guess it all depends. After a few months of flying the real thing, you'll start to notice some of your classmates dissapearing, This is the initial weedout the captains perform based on your performance over the past few months. I'd also like to mention that by this time we spend half of the day doing fitness training and drills. I did more pushups per day than minutes i spent in an aircraft.

So thats pretty much your 2 years of training, only 3 in my class made it through, out of 30... But i wouldn't trade my job for anything in the world. The pay is great, the job is fun, and i know i'm making a difference in the lives of alot of people.

Couple things to add for you, if you just want to join the airforce to get a free pilots license, i 100% suggest you just pony up the cash and don't waste your time with the training. You'll stick out like a sore thumb and you certainly won't be making it past the first round of cuts!

And as for your degree, check with a recruiter in your area and they can tell you if they'll accept it or not. I'd say 50/50 though because its from another country.

Hope this helps and good luck!

oh and lanks, 20/20 vision is the first question they ask you when you first speak to a recruiter. That will never change because I couldn't imagine reading some of my instrument panels without the vision i have now. And the equipment you wear makes glasses next to impossible, and i wouldn't be fucking with contacts in sub zero temperatues at 30 thousand feet. ;)

Nav13
10-19-2007, 09:18 PM
If you go through the training to become a pilot and get weeded out, are you forced to continue in another position in the military? or are you given the choice to leave? Also for the 20/20 vision, if you have the laser corrective surgery done, could you pass? or not so much? This is all out of curriosity.

DannyO
10-19-2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks alot Shogged for your information, that helps tons, glad to get a real point of view as to what to expect.

I'm not looking at this for free pilot lessons (would be stupid to go about that this way), this is something I have always wanted, but until recently I thought I didn't have a chance. As for the weeding out and fitness training, thats to be expected, as to fly these things you have to be in tip top shape.

I'm gonna try and go for some regular checkups soon (mainly for eye exam) to see how I'm doing, and hopefully will be able to phone/go down to the recruiters office to find out more, and also to find out about my College degree.

Thanks again man, I really appreciate it, I'm still happy to hear about anything else from anyone.

Lanks
10-19-2007, 11:07 PM
in responce to shogged... gave me a good laugh about not seeing your instruments. I assume you were joking? how do pilots in other airforce's do it all over the world? how are your instruments different? also correct me if i'm wrong but you don't require 20/20 vision after your in.
check out this link for information on the standards being changed
http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?t=33048&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Not the most credible source i realize but some of the posters are in the industy

mark4091
10-19-2007, 11:35 PM
^ I think if you don't have 20/20 they make you correct it to 20/20, when it used to be you either have it or you don't.

Lanks
10-20-2007, 08:55 AM
double post.

broken_legs
10-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Nav13
If you go through the training to become a pilot and get weeded out, are you forced to continue in another position in the military? or are you given the choice to leave? Also for the 20/20 vision, if you have the laser corrective surgery done, could you pass? or not so much? This is all out of curriosity.

I'm pretty sure when you join the military you sign a contract

If you don't make it as a pilot they are always looking for more Janitors.

Shogged
10-21-2007, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Nav13
Also for the 20/20 vision, if you have the laser corrective surgery done, could you pass? or not so much? This is all out of curriosity.

i had the surgery in order to pass the first eye exam and I passed. so i'd assume so!

also lanks, on the new globemasters there are about 400 different switches and lights and displays on my side of the cockpit alone. Most of them have extremely tiny "what they are for" labels that you wouldn't be able to read without near perfect vision. its hardly a number you could expect to memorize either, i still find myself double checking what i'm flicking on or off, so no, not a joke :D

and reading some of those posts you linked, perhaps they did change the requirements after you join, however i'm still going to assume they don't let you start your training without the perfect vision. that kinda makes sense because if my vision deteriorated over the next few years, it would be a huge waste of taxpayer money to expel me and train someone else.

anddddd to those wondering about if you fail to make the grade as a pilot, what do you expect? A friend of mine I met while training didn't make it as a pilot but went on to become an aircraft mechanic. There's something like 90 positions available and the vast majority of them still kick alot of ass imo. But yes, you are bound to your 7 year minimum term so you'd need to find something should you not become a pilot. I think they can also transfer you out of the airforce if you still want some kind of combat role but that might be special circumstances only.

Nav13
10-21-2007, 12:47 AM
ah I see, I am a complete noob when it comes to the military, I thought that when you join, you basicaly sign up for life. Didnt realize its for certain terms only. Ill stop hijacking this thread now.

95EagleAWD
11-08-2007, 12:40 AM
Update:

Still waiting.

:zzz:

95EagleAWD
11-13-2007, 09:24 PM
So I wrote my aptitude test today and did well... they set up my interview and medical for Thursday; I guess they can move quickly when needed.

95EagleAWD
11-15-2007, 02:08 PM
All done.

I go to BMQ in January.

rx-7heaven
11-15-2007, 05:00 PM
where are you doing BMQ?

Spoons
11-15-2007, 05:43 PM
I heard lots of talk about 20/20 not being required etc. I used to be in Air Cadets, and have went to cold lake LOTS of times whether it be for camp or tours, etc. I have talked to lots of CF-18 Pilots up there.

Plain and simple, if you are wanting to be a fighter pilot, you MUST have 20/20 UNCORRECTED vision. This means no glasses, no contacts, no laser surgery. You're body undergoes a lot of stress with all the G forces and better safe than sorry.

As for other aircraft, you have to have 20/20 but it can be corrected vision.

To be honest I would go back to England and join the RAF. You are going to see more action as a pilot, and the chances of you getting in are greatly higher. We don't have that many planes. It's not a matter of fact that we don't need more pilots, is that our military doesn't have the funds for more planes so they can get more pilots.

95EagleAWD
11-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by rx-7heaven
where are you doing BMQ?

St. Jean.

walperstyle
11-20-2007, 01:41 AM
I have a friend in the Marine Corps. Was stationed in japan, now he's in Iraq.

Remember, you are a soldier first.

Unfortunatly the Canadian forces isnt separated anymore like the US is today.

At least in the US, if you join the Air Force, you will be working on a base, with aircraft of somekind. Pending on how smart you are. (being you are canadian, you probably will eather get shit upon, or excel because you are born smarter, depends on your CO)

I still to this day consider the USAF... at least they have aircraft to speek of.

95EagleAWD
11-20-2007, 01:48 AM
While the CF is now a "joint" service, they still have seperate branches; Army, Navy and Air Force.

Different trades may see "joint" service, but as an Infantryman, I'll probably never set foot on a ship. The only "joint" service I get is my ass shipped overseas on a nice shiny new C-177.

walperstyle
11-20-2007, 02:03 PM
^thats more or less what I was talking about. A lot of people want to joint the canadian air force to fly aircraft, however, being its joint, they will throw you where they need you (or where holes are to be filled)

so, education can help if you have direction where you want to go, however, as I was trying to state, the US simply has more aircraft, more ships, ect. So better chances to get on board.

Unfortunatly, to join the US forces you have to forefit your canadian citizenship.

95EagleAWD
11-23-2007, 08:18 AM
So I'm getting sent to Borden, Ontario for my training instead of St. Jean. They've already got my ticket booked and everything. I get all my final details and I get sworn in to the Forces on Wednesday and I leave for BMQ on January 5 and get home on April 11.

A790
11-23-2007, 08:36 AM
I think it's great that you joined the forces! It shows a love for your country and a desire to defend it! Good for you man, I really admire that.

Once I'm out of Uni I'm joining the reserves.

95EagleAWD
11-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by A790
I think it's great that you joined the forces! It shows a love for your country and a desire to defend it! Good for you man, I really admire that.

Once I'm out of Uni I'm joining the reserves.

Join while you're in. They'll help pay for it.

Spoons
11-24-2007, 08:30 PM
So I'm getting sent to Borden, Ontario for my training instead of St. Jean. They've already got my ticket booked and everything. I get all my final details and I get sworn in to the Forces on Wednesday and I leave for BMQ on January 5 and get home on April 11.

Have fun in the shit hole of bases.

I had to stay there for a camp in cadets, it's brutal. Although that was 2 years ago, things coulda changed.

95EagleAWD
11-29-2007, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Spoons

Have fun in the shit hole of bases.

I had to stay there for a camp in cadets, it's brutal. Although that was 2 years ago, things coulda changed.

Yeah, I know; at least it will be warmer down there.

So every single thing is done. I was sworn in this morning, have a service number, have been assigned the rank of Private and am on unpaid leave until I leave on the 5th of January.

I'm all official now... :eek:

r1_boii
12-13-2007, 01:51 AM
im currently doing my bmq training right now, if i was more prepared for the shocks of doing pt in the early mornings of 5:30 then i would been better equipped with handling the mental and physicality of the CF, in shorter terms, DO LOTS OF EXCERSIZE! haha and start being better organized

writhen
02-14-2008, 07:21 PM
Don't mean to revive a dead thread but I am considering joining the reserve force, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on that?

If I go through with it I'd be joining the communications squadron and basically doing my bmq this summer. The main reason I want to join the reserve is because I want to do this part time since I'm still in school, I want to serve my country but do it from home (not overseas), and I want to learn all the important life skills like mental toughness, self control, neatness, respect, etc.

Guess I should have made a new thread, but this seemed a better idea. Didnt find anything on the forums when i did a search for reserve, just reg force.

writhen
02-15-2008, 06:22 PM
anyoneee???

MikeHL
02-15-2008, 11:10 PM
here is the quick a dirty on the res units

If you want to play with things that go bang, like taking long hikes with overloaded rucksacks and hate your knees and back, join infantry.

If you like to sit in a truck all day, set up and break camp 5-6 times a day. sit in front of a radio all day taking notes and also have buddies in infantry you want to chill with (ie radio bitch), join comms

If you you like to play with things that go boom, have a nack for drawing diagrams, love to work with wood and steel. And also have great upper body strength, join engineers

If you want to drive around in beemers all day, go off-roading love trucks, join armor (now armored recce)

If you love to fix cars, trucks, weapons and all that jazz ,join support

If you want to be a Doc, meet chicks, patch all of the above trades up when they mess up, join meds

Thats my interpretation I got when I was in. I got to travel around Canada, play with all sorts of dangerous and highly illegal toys, make friends for life and all payed for by the taxpayers of this great nation.

Seems like you need to talk to a recruiter about your trades choice, don't worry they don't bite like them American ones...

writhen
02-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the reply, do yo know why more people don't join the reserve? It seems like an excellent opportunity for hs/college/uni kids who don't have very good work experience (which is most of them).

Is there a catch somewhere? From what I've learnt you can't get shipped out anywhere...but maybe I'm wrong.

JNeil
02-17-2008, 02:43 AM
The reserve unit has to ask your permission to send you away, I have 2 cousins (both with families) who declined going to Afghanistan because their wives didn't want them to.

I also have a question however, what happens after BMQ? It's actually very difficult to find info on the actual job because everyone is so obsessed with the basic training. For example, what does an infantryman do after his BMQ, SQ?

MikeHL
02-17-2008, 09:42 AM
yep, often time you have to put your self on a waiting list to go overseas. Its often really hard to get selected and most people don't get sent over due to a verity of reasons, paperwork being one of them (also depends on the unit). A lot of people just aren't willing to stop their lives for 16 months to go overseas and they understand that.

I hear to go over they need all the support trades are in the most demand with infantry being the least, I might be wrong as this info is over 2 years old...

as for what happens after BMQ for Inf, its
BMQ--> SQ--> BIQ (i think, basic infantry qual) basically SQ#2 -> your trade specialization (machine gunner etc..) --> leadership courses

thats over 3-4 years, again I might be corrected as I never served in infantry.

Delta
02-18-2008, 11:05 PM
In the reserves you have to sign up to go overseas. The Calgary Highlanders( Calgary infantry reserve unit) are sending over 60 guys over. There's no contracts, you can leave when you want. Everyone in the army has to do BMQ and all the combat arms do SQ together. Officers do not do SQ, they go straight to their leadership courses.
After SQ, You go onto your trades courses. For infantry it's BIQ like MikeHL said then you are a fully qualified infantryman. Once that's done you can take radio, mountain operations, drivers, machine gunners and a bunch of other ones.

randedge
02-18-2008, 11:30 PM
I was with the Calgary Highlanders for four years.

1999-2003

Awesome time.
MikeHL actually did a pretty good summary.

I only have this to add:
Of the combat trades, the Infantry Reserves comes closest to their reg force counterpart.

There's a lot of jokes that regular force guys tell each other about reservists. Some of them are scathing, some of them harmless pokes. Basically, what they centre around is that Reservists aren't "true" soldiers in that they only do it part time.

The thing about the Infantry reserves is that they come closest to what their real regular force counterparts do in that they get trained in all that the reg force guys get trained in...

Now, part of it has to do with the nature of the job. Foot Soldiering isn't complicated. At it's core, you get a rifle, you shoot bad guys. Sometimes you might get handed something different: Mortars, Anti Tank recoilless rifles, portable M72 rockets, Medium Machine Gun, Heavy Machine Gun... Sometimes you get to drive the G wagen. Sometimes not. Courses like jump (AKA Para or airborne), comms, small arms, mountaineering... anything else are also available to you.

The point is, training an infantryman isn't hard since all you need is the weapon and the person to handle it...

On the other hand, going saaaay... armour means that although you are technically a tanker, and that you are instructed in tank basics, tactics, and what not, you will seldom get to be in a tank. This is now especially true now that they've reformed the reserve tank regiments and retired the 6x6, 75mm equipped Cougar LAV.

Edit:

-----

Photo of Cougar.
http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/mediawiki-1.5.5/index.php?title=Image:Cougar01.jpg

Neons4life
02-21-2008, 01:12 PM
out of curiousity is the pay structure any good?

95EagleAWD
02-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Neons4life
out of curiousity is the pay structure any good?

Haha, no.

:p

Here's some pics of my BMQ so far...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/95EagleAWD/BMQ/n505218057_310814_5474.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/95EagleAWD/BMQ/n505218057_310800_820.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/95EagleAWD/BMQ/n505218057_310785_6748.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/95EagleAWD/BMQ/n505218057_310760_135.jpg

Delta
02-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Canada is the second best paid military. Australia is number one. So for miltaries go, it's not bad, but compared to everything else It's not alot. I guess it depends on how long of days you work etc. Meals and housing is cheap though.

95EagleAWD
03-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Just got off a week at the range and in the field....

Hahaha... shooting full auto with the C7 is about the most rediculous thing I've ever done. It was outrageously fun. We did a night shoot after 3 days on the range and I was one of 5 people to peg off the glowstick at 100 yards. So my Sergeant owes me a coffee, haha.

We did a two day field intro, and it was pretty sweet. It was fucking puking snow the first day, so we were wet and pissed, but after that it got real nice, nice enough for the tilley hats to be broken out and everything.

Fire drills at 2 am with a full tent in pitch black suck fucking balls, and I ran out of my tent with two different boots and someone elses jacket on.

Today was spent at the rappel tower, a 15 foot, 30 foot and heli skid to jump off of and that was great. Going off the skid was awesome fun, falling 35 feet on the rope with no wall. Getting paid to do that just boggles my mind.

Another weekend off, more drinking, yadda yadda. Next week is Nuke and Chem training, then I'm in Cowtown for Easter.

Street_Soldier
03-15-2008, 06:22 PM
do u have to know how to swim?

randedge
03-15-2008, 06:39 PM
There is a clothed swim test done in a olympic length pool. I think it was to see if you'll live in the event that you are swept away while crossing a river.

Not everyone in my basic course knew how to swim.

I have no clue how they passed that one.

95EagleAWD
03-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Yeah, we had a few people that couldn't swim.... it was pretty cool to watch them finally pass the test after 11 weeks of being there. Good on 'em for learning.

3 weeks to go. Can't wait to be done this and then on to SQ/BIQ.

Ske7ches
04-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Hey just wondering if you join the reserves, is the BMQ mandatory?

kaishen
04-28-2008, 11:15 PM
you guys are just so fortunate that you din have to do compulsory military service. All guys down in Singapore had to do military service once u hit 18 for a duration of 2 years. Mine was an old scheme and i did for 2.5yrs. Was into engineers, end up as an instructor teaching trainees on operating caterpillar plants like bulldozers and shovels.
hey just wanna ask, i tried applying for some jobs in calgary. Some asked if you were once part of the military. Why's that?
anyone knows?

oh yah got to fire m16, m2o3, saw, law, sar21 in my entire career in the armed forces.

Gainsbarre
04-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by kaishen

hey just wanna ask, i tried applying for some jobs in calgary. Some asked if you were once part of the military. Why's that?
anyone knows?

I'm sure it's because we know that there is compulsory military service in many parts of the world -- the same question would be asked of someone who is a citizen/living in Iran/Greece/Israel/Korea and so on. Employers just want to know if you have fulfilled that commitment back home (otherwise they might lose you for a bit).

Tik-Tok
04-29-2008, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by kaishen
you guys are just so fortunate that you din have to do compulsory military service.

I'd rather like to see that here myself.

Hakkola
04-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I'd rather like to see that here myself.

:werd: I did my compulsory service, it was a great experience, I would have stayed longer but I fucked my knee up real good. I think 2 years compulsory would suck only because of the length, 1 year or even 6 months would be a great thing for any country, IMO.

kaishen
04-29-2008, 05:55 PM
ooh..... din know that so many people are supportive of compulsory national service. haha. yah hakkola, its the length that bothers me. i had to disrupt my studies after college to go to do something entirely different for 2.5 years. You dont get to go home and you are paid peanuts. But of course its good exposure and it builds a man up. So when i went into university, the girls are 2/3 years younger and you find them less appealing because they seem to be so immature
haha

Gainsbarre>> that makes a lot of sense! i was wondering if there would be any kind of discrimination or shortchange or advantages if i said i did when i filled up the online form at telus job website. thanks!

canuckcarguy
04-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Hey, I don't know if this is entirely on point, but...

My nephew is a screw-up, he's had a couple of skirmishes with the law, and I think he's at a crossroads. He smokes a fair bit of weed, I think, but nothing harder, as far as I know. He's 21, physically fit, and a highschool grad. He's no genius, but he's smart enough to get by.

I was talking to his dad, and I suggested that he push him toward the military, where he'd get some discipline and some perspective. But afterwards, I was wondering if he'd even survive it. I know the military isn't some kind of reform school, anybody have any ideas if this is a good direction for a mixed-up kid to go?

His dad's about to kick him out of the house, I just thought this might be the time to suggest a military career...

tentacles
04-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Unless things have changed radically, they do test for THC, and weed would pretty much eliminate his chances of getting in.

canuckcarguy
04-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Yes, I guess he'd have to quit, but that's what we'd hope anyway. I imagine it's a matter of waiting for the THC to clear the system...

kaishen
04-29-2008, 07:25 PM
drugs aside, i think the army might be a good career for him in terms of self development and molding. It might be good character building for him. but if he still hangs on to his bad awful ways, then he might get into deeper trouble with the military law.

r1_boii
05-06-2008, 12:49 AM
Hey 95EagleAWD you done your BMQ yet? which regiment are you in? I'm currently doing my SQ right now, we are heading to the range this weekend and shooting some machine guns and semi autos so pumped. Where are you heading to for DP1? aka BIQ hopefully i got onto my course
im with the calg highrs

95EagleAWD
05-12-2008, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by r1_boii
Hey 95EagleAWD you done your BMQ yet? which regiment are you in? I'm currently doing my SQ right now, we are heading to the range this weekend and shooting some machine guns and semi autos so pumped. Where are you heading to for DP1? aka BIQ hopefully i got onto my course
im with the calg highrs

Yeah, I'm done. I started my SQ about four weeks ago, but got hurt last week, fucked my knees up real good. So I'm sitting at home in E-town enjoying some leave and trying to heal up a bit. I'm doing my DP1 in Wainwright.

MikeHL
05-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy
Hey, I don't know if this is entirely on point, but...

My nephew is a screw-up, he's had a couple of skirmishes with the law, and I think he's at a crossroads. He smokes a fair bit of weed, I think, but nothing harder, as far as I know. He's 21, physically fit, and a highschool grad. He's no genius, but he's smart enough to get by.

Last thing I want is a person like that beside me in a fox hole during a fire fight.

Not to put down your nephew or anything, but would you want a person like him covering your back when people are out there trying to kill you? I know I wouldn't, even the military has standards too you know.

Its funny how people say conscription is the solution for todays youth. Lets be real here we aren't sending them to some fake ass boot camp where they yelled at all day and then return to their normal lives "fixed". We are making soldiers here, while we are not in a major war it does take some commitment to serve ones country. The last thing I want is being stuck a bunker with a half ass solider who's daddy thinks the army will set him straight.

Just a disclaimer: I out of the green, thus I can speak freely now :angel:

r1_boii
05-13-2008, 10:31 AM

Yeah, I'm done. I started my SQ about four weeks ago, but got hurt last week, fucked my knees up real good. So I'm sitting at home in E-town enjoying some leave and trying to heal up a bit. I'm doing my DP1 in Wainwright.

haha that sucks man 2 more weeks in the field, 1 def ops and 1 of ops and im done my SQ, dam trench diggin is gay, specially when it rains haha, i think im doing my DP1 in wainwright i was on board for the july-august one but i have to change it to hopefully the june-july one if they permit me to, are you with the PPCLI?

r1_boii
05-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by MikeHL

Last thing I want is a person like that beside me in a fox hole during a fire fight.

Not to put down your nephew or anything, but would you want a person like him covering your back when people are out there trying to kill you? I know I wouldn't, even the military has standards too you know.

Its funny how people say conscription is the solution for todays youth. Lets be real here we aren't sending them to some fake ass boot camp where they yelled at all day and then return to their normal lives "fixed". We are making soldiers here, while we are not in a major war it does take some commitment to serve ones country. The last thing I want is being stuck a bunker with a half ass solider who's daddy thinks the army will set him straight.

Just a disclaimer: I out of the green, thus I can speak freely now :angel:

and i agree with that, i wouldn't wanna get stuck with a whiny ass head as a fire-team partner, specially when your in defensive, anticipating enemy for hours and hours listening to the numb nuts whinning, because you'll be in a world of hurt when it comes down to the shooting ahha

sucks to be you when your all sorts of fucked up!

nAdZ007
06-04-2009, 10:29 PM
95EagleAWD I would like to talk with you. I am in 2VP and am wanting to go the same route as you. Just want to know how it is going with you and how painful the process is?

Bumjubeo
06-05-2009, 05:57 AM
Well...this is going to make me sound like a fatass, but how in shape should you be before considering joining the military?

Rat Fink
06-05-2009, 06:07 AM

statick
06-05-2009, 06:18 AM
I'm glad to see some reservists here on the forum. I'm not sure if those of you who are qualifying, or are qualified, as members of the army are still active members on this board, but how are things now that you've experienced the training?

Also, how discriminatory is the recruitment process? I've interviewed with a few units (have the recommendation required for officer's training) and have submitted my paperwork to the rectruitment centre. I've heard of people being turned down, or at least having troubles joining, if they have relatives (i.e, cousins) in countries where Canada may become involved. Does anyone have any knowledge in regards to this?

Datsun-Fever
06-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink

Last I heard it was 1.6mi/2.4 km in under 12 minutes???
19 pushups not timed
at least 19 situps in under a minute
some grip strength test, can't remember the number

I did the application to RMC when I was 17 but got turned down back then for lack of life experience. haha. Oh if they could only see my resume now :rofl:

They recently revised the running portion, its a shuttle run (20m beep test) with a minimum score of 6 to begin BMQ, but if someone can only muster 3 they are put on a special pt program until they meet the standards.

Vagabond142
06-05-2009, 04:07 PM
I'm actually on stage 3 of my application for Regular Force Navy, that being the medical. I can tell you from what I know, right up to date, for the physical fitness:

You start BMQ immediately if:

You pass all 3 strength components (hand grip, situps, pushups) AND reach stage 6 or further on the 20M shuttle run/beep test

You pass 2 of the strength components and the shuttle run, but you have to retest in week 4, 11 and 13 and pass one of those tests on all 4 components

You are remanded to WFP (Warrior Fitness Platoon) if:

You pass all strength and fail the run but do better than stage 3

You fail 2 strength and pass the run

you fail all tests but reach minimums (4 pushups, 4 situps, stage 3 run)

You are considered for release if you fail 1 minimum, and you are automatically released for failing two minimums and have to wait 6 months to reapply to the forces

Spoons
06-07-2009, 04:43 PM
How in depth are the drug tests? :rofl: Just a piss test or do they go at it hardcore?

Vagabond142
06-07-2009, 04:53 PM
How in depth are the drug tests? :rofl: Just a piss test or do they go at it hardcore?

Very.

If you're super honest on the drug questionnaire sheet, which you are given after the CFAT test (Aptitude test), and you have quit all use, you may have a chance. If you're a continuing user, you may have problems. The drug questionnaire even considers alchohol a drug, so you have to tell them how much per week you drink. It's that in depth.

If required, they can ask for a piss test and a blood sample. If you're up front and honest to them, you may get a pass on your word alone. Honesty and truthfulness are looked on very favorably during the application process.

Spoons
06-08-2009, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond142

Very.

If you're super honest on the drug questionnaire sheet, which you are given after the CFAT test (Aptitude test), and you have quit all use, you may have a chance. If you're a continuing user, you may have problems. The drug questionnaire even considers alchohol a drug, so you have to tell them how much per week you drink. It's that in depth.

If required, they can ask for a piss test and a blood sample. If you're up front and honest to them, you may get a pass on your word alone. Honesty and truthfulness are looked on very favorably during the application process.

Well like "harder" stuff has only been one time use, so that I am not to worried about for the test (won't be a year till I make any decisions) but I smoke weed regularly, but can stop the use anyways.

Datsun-Fever
06-08-2009, 06:32 AM
If you're thinking about joining, the sooner you quit the easier it will be on you when you step into the recruiting center.

Vagabond142
06-08-2009, 07:02 AM

Well like "harder" stuff has only been one time use, so that I am not to worried about for the test (won't be a year till I make any decisions) but I smoke weed regularly, but can stop the use anyways.

They cover any use in the past 5 years from your date of application. If you are really serious about joining, then my suggestion is to stop any illicit uses NOW. Legal uses (such as alcohol, tobbaco, etc) are fine as long as you aren't doing it to excess. Your liver and lungs have to work damned well for BMQ.

But the best thing to do would be a) to quit all illegal/illicit uses now, and b) call the recruiting center at 403-974-2920. The policy of the Forces is that there are no stupid questions from a potential recruit, so ask them anything and everything pertaining to being recruited. I have, and every question has been answered. (granted, I don't drink, smoke or do drugs, so I haven't had to ask about such things)

Datsun-Fever
06-08-2009, 07:20 AM
What trades did you apply for Vagabond?

Vagabond142
06-08-2009, 09:07 AM
1) Naval Electronic Sensor Operator
2) Naval Combat Information Operator
3) Naval Communications

Spoons
06-09-2009, 02:11 AM
What proof do they have of me doing drugs though a year later? I will be quiting all use anyways, but do they put you through a lie detector? Most drugs don't stay in your system for that long...

Vagabond142
06-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Spoons:

Read what you said. It sounds to me that you're planning on not being entirely honest. My suggestion: even if you had quit 10 years ago and were now a complete angel about life and being drug free, TELL THEM. You stand a FAR better chance of getting in by up front saying "This is what I did, and why I did it. I don't do it anymore, however," than if you go in thinking "They won't find out, so I don't need to tell em."

As to proof... think about it. They can find proof, even through avenues you'd never think of. Like this forum. You've already openly admitted on these forums to a past use of drugs. Someone from CSIS or the RCMP doing a check on you because you may seem even the SLIGHTEST bit suspicious could EASILY find your posts on Beyond.

So, I'll reinforce it in strong, bolded, italic letters:

BE FUCKING HONEST ABOUT EVERYTHING, EVEN THE SMALLEST LITTLE DETAIL IS IMPORTANT

A prime example is from my first interview. I was asked why I had changed from Officer to Enlisted on my application, and I was honest and said "right now, I don't feel I have the leadership skills to ably lead men in a combat situation. I hope to gain those skills through being an NCO, and I still have the option of a CFR if I still desire being an officer in the future." The recruiter nodded and said that it was one of the most honest answers he'd ever heard. Honesty is gold in an application.

jutes
06-10-2009, 12:56 AM
1) Naval Electronic Sensor Operator
2) Naval Combat Information Operator
3) Naval Communications

That's nice, but pick a real job/career. You don't want to spend 20 years on a boat, now do you .

Vagabond142
06-10-2009, 07:38 AM
Just because the jobs aren't land force jobs, does not mean they aren't real careers. :whipped:

Rat Fink
06-10-2009, 08:18 AM

Vagabond142
06-10-2009, 08:45 AM
I have natural sea legs (I don't get motion sick or seasick), and I love being out on the water. Plus, being a NESOp isn't exactly an easy job to get into. The washout rate is 50% during the 20 week training course, and you do that AFTER BMQ and the 5 week naval environment orientation course. And to get your pensions now, you have to be in 25 years.

Spoons
06-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Spoons:

Read what you said. It sounds to me that you're planning on not being entirely honest.

Oh by no means am I going to be dishonest. I am probably one of the worst liars in the world. I was just curious on how to go about it is all.

I'm still not sure if I am going to join yet because I really want infantry, and my one knee is kind of bad... So I doubt they would let me anyways.

Datsun-Fever
06-10-2009, 02:06 PM
I got into the infantry and i have flat feet, so you never know! hahaha

statick
06-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Datsun-Fever
I got into the infantry and i have flat feet, so you never know! hahaha

I'm glad to hear that! I also have flat feet and was concerned it may be an issue.

TorqueDog
06-10-2009, 04:10 PM
My three careers were:

Pilot
Firefighter
ATIS Tech

Pilot and firefighter were full (d'oh). I almost joined to be an ATIS Tech (came highly recommended from friends I know in the RCAF) but opted not to pursue, as I got an offer in my present field.

Vagabond142
06-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Well, Pilot is on a 4 year waitlist now... almost not worth even trying. Firefighter I'm surprised is full. And ATIS Tech is a good job :D

TorqueDog
06-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Well, Pilot is on a 4 year waitlist now... almost not worth even trying. Firefighter I'm surprised is full. And ATIS Tech is a good job :D Buggers. I heard firefighter was full by April.

I really don't want to have to go do a stint in BFN, Timbuktu is the problem... price you pay for a free education/training and job security.

Vagabond142
06-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Why would you you do a stint in BFN, Timbuktu? Canada is only deployed in about 13 countries, and 11 of those are one or two relations officers or advising officers in places like Cyprus, Former Yugoslavia, Croatia, etc. The only really big deployments are naval forces to the coast of Somalia and land/air forces to Afghanistan

TorqueDog
06-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Why would you you do a stint in BFN, Timbuktu? Canada is only deployed in about 13 countries, and 11 of those are one or two relations officers or advising officers in places like Cyprus, Former Yugoslavia, Croatia, etc. The only really big deployments are naval forces to the coast of Somalia and land/air forces to Afghanistan I meant the BFN, Timbuktu locales in Canada.

I do not feel like being posted to Shilo or some damn place. Although CFS Alert would be cool... though I suspect I'd get tired of it quickly.

Vagabond142
06-11-2009, 10:15 PM
One of the reasons I love the Navy... they give you the choice of which coast you want to serve on :D

badatusrnames
06-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Why would you you do a stint in BFN, Timbuktu? Canada is only deployed in about 13 countries, and 11 of those are one or two relations officers or advising officers in places like Cyprus, Former Yugoslavia, Croatia, etc. The only really big deployments are naval forces to the coast of Somalia and land/air forces to Afghanistan

:rofl: I don't think he literally mean Timbuktu...