PDA

View Full Version : Crowchild Closure

bspot
10-18-2007, 11:31 AM
I can't believe nothing is on here for this... Southbound Crowchild was completely closed just past Bow Trail this morning (I was there around 9). Tons of emergency vehicles and of course a complete traffic fuck up. There's nothing on citybeat yet, anyone know what happened?

euro_racer
10-18-2007, 11:32 AM
http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/citybeat/public/2007/10/release.20071018_102159_19776_0

Destinova403
10-18-2007, 11:34 AM
a school bus clipped the side of a dump truck and tore the whole side of it off... side of the bus that is... it looked brutal... the whole passenger side of the school bus was like gone... and there was a whole strip of sheet metal stuck to the side of the dump truck... like a can opener...

ashee
10-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Yeah they redirected traffic back onto NB so I was stuck in traffic for 40 minutes on my way to school.
Apparently all 11 kids on the bus were rushed to hospital.
They had SB closed from Kensington RD - 17th Ave, cops were controlling the traffic at the Kensington/Crow intersection.

bspot
10-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by euro_racer
http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/citybeat/public/2007/10/release.20071018_102159_19776_0

Crazy, I checked just before I posted, and nothing. One minute later you have it... haha.

Hopefully all the kids are alright. Screw you to whatever driver was at fault and made me super late for my meeting though.

Team_Mclaren
10-18-2007, 11:43 AM
ohhh.. thats why crowchild was backed up all the way to brentwood

Enhance
10-18-2007, 11:44 AM
Yeah hope everyone is okay.
I'm not though, I missed 3/4 of my midterm. fuck.

ashee
10-18-2007, 11:44 AM
It was a 3rd Academy bus so the kids were already mentally or physically handicaped, I feel reallly bad for them, this is the last thing they need.

Annoyingrob
10-18-2007, 12:35 PM
They still didn't have it cleaned up by 10:40 when I was trying to get to class. There were like 8 cop cars there, and the truck, and the bus.

The light was still out at kensington/17th ave too, so traffic was not moving at all.

300zxfairlday
10-18-2007, 12:44 PM
woww hope the kids are allright!

rmk
10-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Mod Edit: Don't be an Ass.

urban.one
10-18-2007, 01:06 PM
I think that che intended to be positve and not insulting.

Originally posted by rmk

Moron

JRSC00LUDE
10-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by ashee
It was a 3rd Academy bus so the kids were already mentally or physically handicaped, I feel reallly bad for them, this is the last thing they need.

Edit - Ya, actually now that I shut up and thought for a minute I'm sure you meant that in a much better way than it came out.

That's scary, there's got to be some frantic parents losing their minds right now. Hopefully they all make it through.

abyss
10-18-2007, 01:15 PM
the 8 year old girl who was in critical condition just passed away.

RIP little one. My sympathy goes to your family and friends. :cry:

urban.one
10-18-2007, 01:36 PM
http://images.theglobeandmail.com/archives/RTGAM/images/20071018/wbuscrash1018/calgarybuscrash500big.jpg

urban.one
10-18-2007, 01:38 PM
One child killed in Calgary bus crash
The Canadian Press

October 18, 2007 at 3:22 PM EDT

CALGARY — One child is dead, while another is in hospital with life-threatening injuries Thursday after a school bus sideswiped a parked dump truck on a Calgary expressway in the morning rush hour before piling into a lamp post.

Calgary police said that an eight-year old girl succumbed to injuries.

Three others were in hospital with serious injuries, while the remaining six children who were on the bus were not seriously hurt, although all were taken to the Alberta Children's Hospital, said Rick Lapointe of Calgary's emergency services.

The female bus driver also escaped injury.

spyce
10-18-2007, 01:39 PM
thats crazy i heard about an accident on vibe in the morning
didnt know how serious it was

being dumb ol me...i thought it would be all cleared up and and tried to take crowchild home. worst mistake ever. what is usually a 10 min drive took me close to an hour lol

a social dsease
10-18-2007, 01:45 PM
I saw that on the way to class this morning. I tried to take some pics but I dont think they turned out well. It looked pretty messed up, the school bus was totaled. I hope the kids are alright. At least it happened like 500m from the childrens hospital so they didnt have to take them far!

odin7
10-18-2007, 01:48 PM
^ :( That is sad sad news.

cloud7
10-18-2007, 01:49 PM
RIP to the young girl...

It would be interesting to find out why the dump truck was on the shoulder, if it was sticking out to the through lane, and why the school bus made contact with the dump truck.

S4maniac
10-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Not really relevant, but the kids at Third aren't mentally or physically handicapped. The vast majority just have learning disabilities like ADHD.

rage2
10-18-2007, 01:58 PM
Well I had no idea this happened. Wish I did, I got stuck at crowchild for an hour and a half trying to get downtown during lunch hour. All routes are completely fucked right now from the NW.

sexualbanana
10-18-2007, 02:01 PM
I apologize in advance if this seems totally insensitive, but did anyone else find it ironic that this happened right by the old children's hospital? not that the new one is that much farther away.

Paul
10-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
I apologize in advance if this seems totally insensitive, but did anyone else find it ironic that this happened right by the old children's hospital? not that the new one is that much farther away.

Totally Ironic, and wanna know what's spooky?

spikers told me not to take crowchild this morning in a pm! (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/194226/questions-about-esp-and-events-/) :werd:

eina15
10-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Oh wow, RIP to that little girl - I hope the rest of the children that were injured pull through.

Kritafo
10-18-2007, 02:16 PM
The kids in that bus were from two schools, The Third Academy and Mountain View Academy. The bus is owned by those schools so it wasn't a Cardinal driver or Southland driver. It was a female driver hired by the schools.

Its very sad. I can't even imagine what the parents are feeling.

Dr. S. Lal Mattu of the Third Academy will take this very seriously.

RIP to the little girl and my heart goes out to the school children on that bus that will never forgot today, and the trauma they will have to deal with.

kaput
10-18-2007, 02:21 PM

Lex350
10-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Its still screws up because this has become a fatality....very sad.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/index.html

JRSC00LUDE
10-18-2007, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by kaput
. Whats taking four hours to get this cleaned up?

Invesigation more than likely. Trying to determine exactly what was where and what happened at what speed and so on.

rage2
10-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Just watched the aeriel videos, doesn't need much of an investigation. Dump truck was parked completely in the emergency pull off lane, bus driver wasn't paying attention, drifted out of her lane into the emergency lane, tore off the entire side of the bus, then veered right into the lamppost. One of the kids must've went flying into the windshield, there's a huge crack on the passenger side.

Enhance
10-18-2007, 02:40 PM
Does anyone know if northbound traffic is still shitty?

rage2
10-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Northbound looks to be fine. It was pretty much empty northbound crowchild. I was stuck southbound for a good hour so I had a really good look at northbound traffic lol.

Oh ya, because all this traffic has to be routed elsewhere, the west side of downtown is completely messed too. I would avoid everything west of 10th street downtown. People are using 10th and 14th street to try and head south back to crowchild south.

Kensington is a complete mess because of this.

JRSC00LUDE
10-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Just watched the aeriel videos, doesn't need much of an investigation. Dump truck was parked completely in the emergency pull off lane, bus driver wasn't paying attention, drifted out of her lane into the emergency lane, tore off the entire side of the bus, then veered right into the lamppost. One of the kids must've went flying into the windshield, there's a huge crack on the passenger side.

So the whole thing was caught on tape? Where did you find this?

rage2
10-18-2007, 02:48 PM
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/index.html

There's 2 raw footage videos. Just the aftermath, but it's pretty clear what happened. No need for CSI training.

Aleks
10-18-2007, 03:14 PM
I have always wondered about the lack of school bus drivers and how they are always asking people to take up part time driving.
I assume these people go through some sort of adequate training before they start driving kids around?

cloud7
10-18-2007, 03:43 PM
just saw the aerial vid, the school bus didn't travel far from the dump truck... the crash must have slowed down the bus a lot before it hit the light post. It is clear what happened but the police needs to gather enough information to form a case if it goes to court.

I still want to know why the dump truck was on the shoulder... did he have trouble with the truck? He better have a good reason to be on the shoulder.

kaput
10-18-2007, 03:50 PM

benyl
10-18-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by cloud7

I still want to know why the dump truck was on the shoulder... did he have trouble with the truck? He better have a good reason to be on the shoulder.

What difference does it make? Most dump truck drivers don't loiter on the side of the road for fun.

Besides, the Bus hit the dump truck. The dump truck was a stationary object that was well clear of the road. The bus is a small one and should not have had any clearance issues. Unless the bus got cut off by some asshole and swerved into the truck, I can't see any reason why it would have hit the truck.

Looks like driver negligence to me. I feel bad for the families and sorry for the driver. She will have to live with this for the rest of her life.

anarchy
10-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by benyl

What difference does it make? Most dump truck drivers don't loiter on the side of the road for fun.

Besides, the Bus hit the dump truck. The dump truck was a stationary object that was well clear of the road. The bus is a small one and should not have had any clearance issues. Unless the bus got cut off by some asshole and swerved into the truck, I can't see any reason why it would have hit the truck.

Looks like driver negligence to me. I feel bad for the families and sorry for the driver. She will have to live with this for the rest of her life.

Agreed.
It's scary to think as a parent that you put your child's life in a stranger's hands and it could be taken away in a heartbeat.

This driver is going to be traum for life.

Benny
10-18-2007, 04:04 PM

That shit just happens sometimes man. I've had work trucks die on me and it's scary how many people aren't careful enough about a stopped vechicle on the side of the road.

sputnik
10-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Benny

That shit just happens sometimes man. I've had work trucks die on me and it's scary how many people aren't careful enough about a stopped vechicle on the side of the road.

:werd:

p2tw4qDI7EU

rage2
10-18-2007, 04:58 PM
As of 4pm crowchild was open again.

cloud7
10-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by benyl

It may not make a difference to you but I bet the police investigator would be looking at all angles just to make sure they haven't missed anything. Questions are asked to rule out anything that could have been the cause of the collision.

Lex350
10-18-2007, 05:37 PM
just saw the aerial vid, the school bus didn't travel far from the dump truck... the crash must have slowed down the bus a lot before it hit the light post. It is clear what happened but the police needs to gather enough information to form a case if it goes to court.

WTF? that's what the shoulder of the road is for...to pull over if you have mechanical problems. WTF...do you think he just pulled over and got out of his truck for kicks?

ashee
10-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Finally open at 4pm eh?? Gees.
I was heading to work from U of C at 12 down Crowchild because I didn't think it would still be blocked off and I ended up turning off onto Kensington and going back up Crow North and looped all the way to Sarcee to get to Chinook.

G-ZUS
10-18-2007, 09:28 PM
My friends brother was on the bus

96GrandAMGT
10-18-2007, 11:42 PM
well i got the call to go close the road at 10ish.....iv been called out to several fatal car crashes and very serious crashes but this is 1 of the worst iv seen....

RIP little 1

Redlyne_mr2
10-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Its strange how people think... they are soooooo protective of their children, they wont let them go out, they wont buy a car if it doesnt have a 5 star safety rating, they wont let their kids eat junk food yet every day they send their kids off to ride in an old beat ass bus with hard metal walls, no seatbelts, and vinyl bench seats thats driven by some dropout who couldnt give a shit about any of the kids on their.

max_boost
10-19-2007, 01:11 AM
What a bad situation for all those involved in.

RIP to the little girl. I just hate hearing things like this. :(

SilverRex
10-19-2007, 08:01 AM
sad to see this happen I wonder if there is a safe spot on the bus or I mean is there such thing as the best seat on the bus? obviously each accident is different but is it not logical to assume the middle of the bus is the safest usually? most accident either gets rear ended or clips/crash to the front.

JRSC00LUDE
10-19-2007, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by SilverRex
sad to see this happen I wonder if there is a safe spot on the bus or I mean is there such thing as the best seat on the bus?

As demonstrated again by this situation, the safest seat on the bus is the drivers seat.

analbumcover
10-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Looking at the footage its easy to rule out the truck driver being at fault in this situation. If his truck stalled he did the smartest thing possible and pulled over to the shoulder which is a designated area for incidents such as this. The Bus driver must have been impaired to not have seen the truck as it was clearly over to the right and had the hazards flashing. When i decide to have children i will try my best to ensure we live within walking distance to school or make sure either myself or my wife are available to drive them to school every morning. I think i would find it too difficult to rest the lives on my children to a driver whom i do not know to get them to school. Its a tragedy something like this happened to children so young, my heart goes out to the familes directly involved in this accident. R.I.P Little One

88CRX
10-19-2007, 08:56 AM
They reported this morning that the driver was NOT impared.

cloud7
10-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by rotten42

WTF? that's what the shoulder of the road is for...to pull over if you have mechanical problems. WTF...do you think he just pulled over and got out of his truck for kicks?

Yes, mechanical problems is a legitimate use of the shoulder. I did not say it was not. I have seen many times that dump trucks and semi-trailers parked on shoulders on a main road (Barlow Trail near Sunridge Boulevard, for example) to go into a Tim Horton to grab a coffee or something. But I digress.

I think we have gone a bit off topic here. Our focus should be on the family and victims. Let's not turn this thread into any other Beyond thread.

I would like to again offer my condolences to the family of the 8 year old and wishes everybody involved in the crash a speedy recovery.

euro_racer
10-19-2007, 11:10 AM
fucked up thing is there was an even bigger, 2-trailer semi-truck stopped at pretty much the same spot today when i was going to school at around 9:50 ish

-KiTtY- boo
10-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
My friends brother was on the bus

Thats soo sad.. is he ok at least?

Kritafo
10-22-2007, 08:04 PM
if anyone wants to sign the guest book

http://www.legacy.com/can-calgary/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=96608024

Spoons
10-22-2007, 09:14 PM

Yes, mechanical problems is a legitimate use of the shoulder I did not say it was not. I have seen many times that dump trucks and semi-trailers parked on shoulders on a main road (Barlow Trail near Sunridge Boulevard, for example) to go into a Tim Horton to grab a coffee or something. But I digress.

Fuck you're dumb. Even say the guy in the dump truck got out to grab some coffee or something, what the hell is the bus driver doing veering onto the shoulder? No matter which way you look at that the bus driver was at fault. You also have to understand even when that semi is parked on the side of the road, some people do need food, especially them. You want them to pull into that small ass parking lot? Yeah good luck on them making it around in there.

If your a competent enough driver and someone who has a fucking brain unlike yourself, you can keep in a lane and it isn't an issue. Even slow the fuck down when someones in the shoulder, it's the proper thing to do. Yes that isn't a good use of the shoulder, but sometimes it is the only choice. Damn it your father shoulda used a condom.

None the less condolences to the family. Really pisses me off that a child's life was lost to an incompetent bus driver. I hope some of these bus companies realize that quick training and drop outs aren't the best choices for driving those vehicles. Also half the time these people have their kids on the bus with them, and seem to be more interested in their kids, than the fucking road.

RIP

CivicTunr
10-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Spoons

Fuck you're dumb. Even say the guy in the dump truck got out to grab some coffee or something, what the hell is the bus driver doing veering onto the shoulder? No matter which way you look at that the bus driver was at fault. You also have to understand even when that semi is parked on the side of the road, some people do need food, especially them. You want them to pull into that small ass parking lot? Yeah good luck on them making it around in there.

If your a competent enough driver and someone who has a fucking brain unlike yourself, you can keep in a lane and it isn't an issue. Even slow the fuck down when someones in the shoulder, it's the proper thing to do. Yes that isn't a good use of the shoulder, but sometimes it is the only choice. Damn it your father shoulda used a condom.

None the less condolences to the family. Really pisses me off that a child's life was lost to an incompetent bus driver. I hope some of these bus companies realize that quick training and drop outs aren't the best choices for driving those vehicles. Also half the time these people have their kids on the bus with them, and seem to be more interested in their kids, than the fucking road.

RIP

:werd:
it was on the shoulder, which is a proper place to see a car stopped/broken.