PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Vancouver!

Tik-Tok
10-18-2007, 08:18 PM
You're the 13th most un-affordable housing in the world!

25 Most unaffordable housing the in the world, here. (http://efinancedirectory.com/articles/8_Areas_in_the_U.S._Known_as_the_Most_Unaffordable_Housing_Markets_in_the_World.html)

G-ZUS
10-18-2007, 08:46 PM
theres goes my plans of moving to Orange County or Miami:thumbsdow

rmk
10-18-2007, 08:52 PM
It costs alot to live in a fantastic city. Vancouver rocks :thumbsup:

eblend
10-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Sweet, moving to Japan doesn't seem like a bad idea at all :D

boxer23
10-18-2007, 10:39 PM
wow that report has a lot of cities missing...so i deem it WRONG:D
VAN here i come haha jk

modded46
10-18-2007, 10:51 PM
CA for the WIN!!

HybridTheory
10-18-2007, 10:55 PM
Well here's to hoping that I win the lottery so I can move to Cali or Australia

RiCE-DaDDy
10-19-2007, 12:19 AM
A study (forbes?) said that Van had the most expensive downtown in the world based on $/sq ft. Calgary was up there too.

It costs alot to live in a fantastic city. Vancouver rocks

Overrated. I was born in cgy, and I agree vancouver is a better place to live but its over hyped man.

max_boost
10-19-2007, 01:35 AM
I thought New York would be ranked higher a lot higher? I was bored and looked at some of the condos for sale and the going rate is around $1000/sq.ft in Manhattan. I can't even imagine how much an actual house with some land would cost :rofl: I love the City so much but I can forget about ever moving there at that price.

Antonito
10-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy

Overrated. I was born in cgy, and I agree vancouver is a better place to live but its over hyped man.

Vancouver is a great place to live if you make more than $150,000 a year. Otherwise you'll have to

A) live in the farm lands and drive 2 hours each way to work and/or the ocean/mountains/whatever people actually enjoy about Vancouver

B) bullshit your way to a mortgage that costs 60% of your gross income

C) Rent, and cry yourself to sleep every night dreaming that one day you'll be able to live in a place where your bedroom wall isn't joined to someone elses, and isn't thin enough to hear your neighbour thinking

The Cosworth
10-19-2007, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Antonito

Vancouver is a great place to live if you make more than $150,000 a year. Otherwise you'll have to

A) live in the farm lands and drive 2 hours each way to work and/or the ocean/mountains/whatever people actually enjoy about Vancouver

B) bullshit your way to a mortgage that costs 60% of your gross income

C) Rent, and cry yourself to sleep every night dreaming that one day you'll be able to live in a place where your bedroom wall isn't joined to someone elses, and isn't thin enough to hear your neighbour thinking

I moved from Calgary thinking that BC was the promised land of beauty and affordability (compared to Calgary's crazy market increase). I can tell you it is still worse to live here. I am doing pretty well in my position and they want me to move to Vancouver next year and I will be living in Abbotsford/Surrey/Delta/Chilliwack/Hope and driving into Burnaby near Metrotown every day..... NO THANKS!

Currently I live in Vernon, if you're vacationing or retiring this place is the shit. If you work everyday the social scene is horrid and it is more expensive than Calgary I found

I am moving back to Calgary at my first chance at a good position in my field.

Enough Said.

rage2
10-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
I thought New York would be ranked higher a lot higher? I was bored and looked at some of the condos for sale and the going rate is around $1000/sq.ft in Manhattan. I can't even imagine how much an actual house with some land would cost :rofl: I love the City so much but I can forget about ever moving there at that price.
But NY'ers make a lot more money on average, I'm sure they used that in their affordability calculations.

zieg
10-19-2007, 09:56 AM
I hate living here. I live right by the beach and for what I pay for my 600 sq. ft apartment, I could probably rent a decent house in Calgary for less. :(

JRSC00LUDE
10-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I couldn't believe how high the prices have got there. I love going to Vancouver but I don't think I'll ever live there.

Wifes cousin bought a condo in Yaletown last year, approx 1200 sq. ft. but also approx $860K. :eek: Sure, it's a great building in the trendy part of town but yikes!

RiCE-DaDDy
10-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by brendankharris

I moved from Calgary thinking that BC was the promised land of beauty and affordability (compared to Calgary's crazy market increase). I can tell you it is still worse to live here. I am doing pretty well in my position and they want me to move to Vancouver next year and I will be living in Abbotsford/Surrey/Delta/Chilliwack/Hope and driving into Burnaby near Metrotown every day..... NO THANKS!

Currently I live in Vernon, if you're vacationing or retiring this place is the shit. If you work everyday the social scene is horrid and it is more expensive than Calgary I found

I am moving back to Calgary at my first chance at a good position in my field.

Enough Said.

Not to mention its road infrastructure is garbage compared to Calgary or its plans to improve them.

Antonito
10-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy

Not to mention its road infrastructure is garbage compared to Calgary or its plans to improve them.

What, you don't think spending almost a billion dollars to replicate one of the worst bridges in the country while only adding an extra 1' of width was a good idea?

:banghead: :banghead:

RiCE-DaDDy
10-19-2007, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

It's been quoted that some places in DT van is $1500/sqft

10-21-2007, 12:40 PM
I saw a thing on the news comparing Calgary , some place in Ontario I forgot(probably Toronto), and Vancouver's average housing price a year or two ago and Vancouver was so high it was like $600,xxx. It's pretty crazy I wonder why the news never talks about Vancouver's market.

xenofire
10-21-2007, 12:52 PM
it made me laugh to see auckland on there. it was expensive to live there however only half of the city is like that. Some places are complete dives, however i was living in an area much like upper edgemont and it wasnt unaforable