PDA

View Full Version : Camry or CX-7?

Barlow
10-19-2007, 12:51 AM
07 camry se, 6 speed manual .....

or

07 cx7 5 speed automatic with tiptronic, which i hated when it first came out but now is growing on me....

roughly same price cx7 is all wheel drive however..

any educated thoughts and or concerns on either veichle?

Edit. The cx7 should own the camry in winter, but by how much?

Barlow

A790
10-19-2007, 12:52 AM
Two different vehicles...

Do you want a CUV or a sedan?

Barlow
10-19-2007, 12:55 AM
ummm thats what i'm trying to figure out.... so just looking for thoughts and oppinions....

max_boost
10-19-2007, 01:06 AM
Yeah I F*cking hate these threads with a passion because they never get anywhere.

Barlow
10-19-2007, 01:11 AM
a wise man once told me, its not the destination, its the trip....

BoS_DC2
10-19-2007, 01:37 AM
Seems like you're aiming towards the CX7 route.

Have you driven both cars? I personally think the CX7 would be offering more and is more versatile especially during the winter, Camry is bleh.

three.eighteen.
10-19-2007, 01:47 AM
that little turbo mazda engine is pretty fun

mo_money2supe
10-19-2007, 01:54 AM
Never driven a CX-7 myself, but have been told the initial acceleration is a bit sub-par. It's got plenty of torque to pass on the highway thanks to the turbo, no doubt, but I would personally prefer a faster accelerating car. Not to mention, I would never own an automatic, so out of your two choices, I definitely know which one I'd pick.

Paul
10-19-2007, 06:53 AM
Buddy of mine is a senior mechanic at Kramer Mazda. Those turbo engines in the CX7 are SUCH gas-guzzler's! He got to take one of the first ones landed for a road trip to Edmonton and said he had to fill up in Red Deer (no he wasn't hard on the gas except for passing).

I was interested in buying one of these as well and then he started to tell me horror stories about the mechanical issues he had with the loaner.

I can give you his number if you'd like to talk to him, or you can go to Kramer and ask for Alex. I'm sure he'll talk you out of buying one.

So...:thumbsdow :thumbsdow for the CX7.

That said, love the new Camry. Pretty good looking car for a 40 yr. old person!

Mangina
10-19-2007, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Paul
Buddy of mine is a senior mechanic at Kramer Mazda. Those turbo engines in the CX7 are SUCH gas-guzzler's! He got to take one of the first ones landed for a road trip to Edmonton and said he had to fill up in Red Deer (no he wasn't hard on the gas except for passing).

What the fuck ever. Thanks for spreading more bullshit around on the internet.

Masked Bandit
10-19-2007, 08:17 AM
Unless you are one that keeps their vehicles for more than five or six years, I think you'll do better on resale with the Camry. I've got a six speed manual in my Maxima and it's a blast to drive.

Lex350
10-19-2007, 08:26 AM
I haven't driven the Camry but I have the CX7 on a number of times when my car was in getting fixed.

1) It sucked back the gas quite a bit
2) I didn't like the character of the drivetrain. It has a off or full blast kind of feel. Its hard to drive it smooth (manual)
3) I don;t know what the reliability is for this vehicle but Mazda has not been doing well in that aera lately
4) Buying Mazda means servicing the vehicle through a dealer here in Calgary. That is the #1 reason why I won't buy Mazda again. They all are a bunch of f*cking a-holes

5) I did like the interior and it was roomy enough
6) Nicer to look at than the Camary.

ZorroAMG
10-19-2007, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Paul

Yeah Paul, cause the CX7 has a 5 litre gas tank.:rolleyes:

Your senior mechanic buddy is an idiot.

Mangina
10-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Consumer Reports' 2007 "Annual Car Reliability Survey" is out, and Toyota has declined slightly from its established position as unimpeachable quality king, while Ford's domestic brands have improved.

The independent product review think tank, based in Yonkers, N.Y., says the V6 version of Camry, the top-selling mid-sized car in America, and the four-wheel-drive V8 version of the Tundra pickup--both of which were redesigned this year--now rate below average in Consumer Reports' predicted reliability rating. The all-wheel-drive version of the Lexus GS sedan also received a below-average rating, and therefore no longer makes CR's "Recommended" list.

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT. CAPS LOCK off.

janseman
10-19-2007, 10:12 AM
I have a CX7 and in the city in stop and go traffic in deerfoot i get about 525 kms when the light comes on and i usually end up filling about 58L out of 69L available. I drove the car to Toffino over the summer and I averaged about 9.5L/100kms on the highway, granted I was driving about 90-100km/hr. It took a little while to get used to the acceleration but as long as you don't stomp the gas pedal at every light it drives pretty smoothly. As for mechanical issues it's still a brand model so there's always bugs that need to be worked out.

alloroc
10-19-2007, 11:44 AM
I vote Subaru Legacy

Supa Dexta
10-19-2007, 12:01 PM
quality and resale will go to the toyota...

403civic
10-19-2007, 12:08 PM
I have driven the Camry but not the CX7
I thought the Camry was very nice and had pretty good power( beter then the Rav4)
I think the Camry is better
Toyota > Mazda

Mangina
10-19-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by janseman
I have a CX7 and in the city in stop and go traffic in deerfoot i get about 525 kms when the light comes on and i usually end up filling about 58L out of 69L available. I drove the car to Toffino over the summer and I averaged about 9.5L/100kms on the highway, granted I was driving about 90-100km/hr.

Ummm, maybe read the post above about needing to fill up in Red Deer. Stop trying to bullshit everyone. We all know the Mazda gets 4mpg.

bituerbo
10-19-2007, 01:04 PM
You shud get a Honda Accord, it's the best at everything.

janseman
10-19-2007, 01:29 PM
how is 11.25L/100km in city and 9l/100km highway bullshitting everyone? I'm just under what Mazda publishes for city driving and higher for highway driving.

94SSEi
10-19-2007, 01:48 PM
He was just being sarcastic and making fun of the guy who's "senior mechanic" friend apparently only got like 4mpg, which is obviously BS.

janseman
10-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Yeah my bad, I just don't read good.

Nix87
10-19-2007, 03:39 PM
The CX7 handles like a dream for an SUV.

Barlow
10-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by alloroc
I vote Subaru Legacy

I vote BANN!!!!!!!!!!!

Barlow
10-19-2007, 04:52 PM
I was also looking at the honda accord, they are good looking cars.

mekeni
10-19-2007, 06:31 PM
test drive the accord too... and then decide

If I were you I'd go with the sedan, I'm kinda biased though because the wife already has an SUV.

shtock99
10-19-2007, 08:15 PM
I would like to point out that this Alex you speak of is not the "head mechanic", I dont even think we have a mechanic named Alex lol.

As for the vehicle I would pick the Cx-7 but ive never driven the Camry before so i cant really say

alloroc
10-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Barlow

I vote BANN!!!!!!!!!!!

Why cuz the legacy is way more reliable than both? Has more standard options than both. Gets better mileage than the cx7 and is AWD unlike the camry?

Yeah silly me for thinking you can have it all, oh wait I do.
:)

Mitsu3000gt
10-20-2007, 12:12 AM

Why cuz the legacy is way more reliable than both? Has more standard options than both. Gets better mileage than the cx7 and is AWD unlike the camry?

To add to your post, a brand new 2008 legacy GT with every single option including navigation is $29,444 from the USA. It's also made in the USA as far as I know, so no duty. $15,000 savings, I would really suggest you give that a look.

A790
10-20-2007, 01:35 AM
I'd rock the CX7. Turbo, plenty o'powa, and looks a hell of a lot better. If you're going to get a car that's anemic to drive, you might as well get one that has a turbo and a bit of pep when you need it.

HyperZell
10-20-2007, 02:12 AM
I haven't driven the new Camry, but I have a CX-7, and it rocks. Sure the gas consumption isn't great, but it's not terrible either. Remember that it's a crossover vehicle. Also, take some time getting to know the vehicle, like every other car, and you'll get how to drive it. I can drive it pretty smoothly, and I LOVE the power you get when you step on it. Plus, above all else, it handles brilliantly - you will forget that you're in a larger vehicle.

Barlow
10-23-2007, 05:23 PM

Trust me i looked at the legacy.

Also why is it everytime somone wants to know which veichle they should or want to get, someone brings up the F*cking legacy..... Its annoying more then anything else.

And good for you on your legacy hope you enjoy it.

Barlow

TorqueDog
10-23-2007, 06:01 PM
I vote CX7. What good is the added resale of the Camry when it takes a couple years of driving a boring piece of vanilla crap to cash in on it?

Aleks
10-23-2007, 06:21 PM

Also why is it everytime somone wants to know which veichle they should or want to get, someone brings up the F*cking legacy..... Its annoying more then anything else.

Barlow

So you drove the Legacy GT and you liked the Camry better?

Team_Mclaren
10-23-2007, 06:25 PM

Barlow

why does every idiot has to make a thread on which car should they get blah blah blah, just to tell people to stfu. :rolleyes:

TorqueDog
10-23-2007, 08:13 PM
Problem is, threads like this are plagued with brand loyalty.

Don't post the make/model. Just post the high and low points of each car, and determine what's most important to you from there. It's way more effective if you're looking for alternate opinions.

alloroc
10-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

So you drove the Legacy GT and you liked the Camry better?

That is what he is saying.
Frack I have the 2.5i and I like it better than the Camry.

If he is going AWD suv I would pick the Endeavor over the CX7 Mistubishi and Subaru have it all over the all other manufacturers when it comes to AWD reliability.
and from experience - once you have AWD there ain't no going back.

Speaking of brand Loyalty ... read my signature backwards. Its not like I don't like Toyotas.

TorqueDog
10-24-2007, 07:59 AM
Speaking of brand Loyalty ... read my signature backwards. Its not like I don't like Toyotas. You mean your 'username'. You haven't posted a signature.

heavyD
10-24-2007, 01:11 PM

You aren't the only person annoyed. I enjoy reading these types of threads because it brings out the fanboys and mud slinging but I have to admit I don't believe I've ever seen a "should I buy this or this?" thread where Subaru wasn't mentioned yet one or two peopl chime in "neother, get a Legacy or Imprezza".

Has it ever dawned on Subaru fanboys that some people like good looking, attractive cars?

alloroc
10-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
You mean your 'username'. You haven't posted a signature.

Sorry + thanks.

alloroc
10-24-2007, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

You aren't the only person annoyed. I enjoy reading these types of threads because it brings out the fanboys and mud slinging but I have to admit I don't believe I've ever seen a "should I buy this or this?" thread where Subaru wasn't mentioned yet one or two peopl chime in "neother, get a Legacy or Imprezza".

Has it ever dawned on Subaru fanboys that some people like good looking, attractive cars?

HUH?

Legacy GT
[img]http://www.edmunds.com/media/advice/specialreports/cars.comeback/05.subaru.legacy.gt.500.jpg

Camry / Accord
http://images.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0710_01l+2008_honda_accord_vs_2007_toyota_camry+front_view.jpg

CX-7
http://media.canada.com/6c8714d8-471c-4ede-8876-90dda09eae8f/mazdacx7.jpg

A790
10-24-2007, 01:25 PM

No.

Mangina
10-24-2007, 02:58 PM

If you think Camry or CX7 look better than a LGT, you are high my friend.

silver_gs-R
10-24-2007, 06:39 PM
CAMRY!!!

:thumbsup:

QX498
10-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Camry obviously
how do you compare the two?
wow.

heavyD
10-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Mangina

If you think Camry or CX7 look better than a LGT, you are high my friend.

The Legacy is Subaru's best looking vehicle but that's not saying much and IMO is about equal with the Camry and while the CX7 is a different type of vehicle I would have to say it it cleaner and therefore better looking compared to the Camry and Legacy.

I'm certainly not high, I don't drink car manufacturer kool-aid like the fanboys......and I'm not your friend.;)

Lex350
10-30-2007, 03:28 PM
if you buy a Mazda then you run the risk of getting ass-raped my their stealerships....run...run as far away from Mazda as you can!!!

heavyD
10-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by rotten42
if you buy a Mazda then you run the risk of getting ass-raped my their stealerships....run...run as far away from Mazda as you can!!!

Worst thing is that if you purchase a Mazda, it appears that you will have a decent chance of building an intimate relationship with the dealership.

New transmission and clutch after 11K miles!:eek:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/195138/fs-2006-mazdaspeed-6/

TorqueDog
10-31-2007, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by QX498
Camry obviously
how do you compare the two?
wow. No kidding.
One of them is an ugly, boring piece of shit, and the other is a Mazda.

supeg
10-31-2007, 06:03 PM

Worst thing is that if you purchase a Mazda, it appears that you will have a decent chance of building an intimate relationship with the dealership.

New transmission and clutch after 11K miles!:eek:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/195138/fs-2006-mazdaspeed-6/

Thanks for bringing my post into it haha.

Anyways, Clutches are replaced under TSB or whatever, because there were problems with them (Customers not likeing the feel of them) but he said he saw problems with the tranny as well when I took it in, so when he said he was replacing it under warranty, i didnt give a fuk, as having a new tranny+clutch is fine to me :)

But yah, from other people I have heard Mazda dealerships in Alberta seem to find "extra" things wrong to bring up repair prices, most likely same thing they did with mine to get warranty money from Mazda.

Its not like there is a known issue with these tranny's I think im the first to get it replaced on the mazdaspeed 6 boards.

Have you looked into a Buick Enclave? Total redesign, awsome crossover.

Cheers.