PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Honda prelude turbo inquiry

2.0turbo
10-19-2007, 10:35 AM
My brother has a 1990 Honda prelude with the 2.0 litre motor in it. I'm more of a dsm guy so I don't know the motor codes or anything. I'm wondering if and where a turbo kit for this vehicle could be found. We will be turboing it this winter and I want something that isn't going to take up tons of time with runnig back and forth to machine shops and crap. Basically something that we can bolt up and be done with it. He doesn't want something thats going to make huge power, just something that will run at a safe psi of around 7 or so and spool up quickly as it mainly is a daily driven car. I've tried to get him to start with an already turboed car or even take my 300hp 2.0 colt off my hands for probably less than this is going to cost him but he insists on doing this one. So we'll do it. It should be pretty cool anyway. It seems easy enough to find turbo kits for h22's but non for this year. Anyone know of any for sale here in calgary or where to get them? Thanks. Obviously I want drop in injectors and fuel pump too. I don't want to start messing around with machine shop costs on top of everything else. Also, what type of fuel management is easy to use for this applications. Thanks.

JRSC00LUDE
10-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Join up to preludepower.com, they have a good 3rd gen section that should be able to help you out.

Edit - Here's a link to a thread started by someonw with a turbo 3'rd gen that you could try talking to.

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277921

G-ZUS
10-19-2007, 10:57 AM
His engine is a b20a5

AutodreamMarvin
10-19-2007, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by 2.0turbo
My brother has a 1990 Honda prelude with the 2.0 litre motor in it. I'm more of a dsm guy so I don't know the motor codes or anything. I'm wondering if and where a turbo kit for this vehicle could be found. We will be turboing it this winter and I want something that isn't going to take up tons of time with runnig back and forth to machine shops and crap. Basically something that we can bolt up and be done with it. He doesn't want something thats going to make huge power, just something that will run at a safe psi of around 7 or so and spool up quickly as it mainly is a daily driven car. I've tried to get him to start with an already turboed car or even take my 300hp 2.0 colt off my hands for probably less than this is going to cost him but he insists on doing this one. So we'll do it. It should be pretty cool anyway. It seems easy enough to find turbo kits for h22's but non for this year. Anyone know of any for sale here in calgary or where to get them? Thanks. Obviously I want drop in injectors and fuel pump too. I don't want to start messing around with machine shop costs on top of everything else. Also, what type of fuel management is easy to use for this applications. Thanks.

Gladman Performance out of Vancouver BC makes turbo manifolds for the B20A/B21A.

I believe they also make downpipes as well.

JRSC00LUDE
10-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Okay, so here's someone working on a b20a5 turbo build right now.

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277637&highlight=b20a5

The point is he will likely find a lot of good info. and experience on that forum, comprende?

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-19-2007, 02:19 PM
I don't think there is a pre-made turbo kit for the b20a5.

It's not exactly a good platform to work with. I have a feeling you'll be spending lots of time at the machine shop after all. As for engine management, I would probably stick with a rom tune. If your not going to do an obd1 conversion, go with turboedit, as IIRC, thats what Mr_ET is using on his OBD0 Turbo civic.

hellraiser456
10-20-2007, 05:55 PM
i have been told numerous times that the b20a1(a5 as well) that come in those cars are not a good motor to turbo charge. i believe the reason was related to the stroke and you would need bottom end mods sooner than you would with other engines.

also parts for those motors are scarce.

that said a more popular swap these days is a h22 swap.

with a little modification to the motor mounts the motor and tranny will drop in. i believe you can use 92-94 Honda accord axles to get power to the wheels. it ends out being a tight fit...but it works...and a h22 in that car...you will be flying.

this is a write up on it...its old but it is very informative.
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190047

to me...this is your best and most cost effective method of getting more ponys out of that car.

you will want to upgrade the brakes and suspension as well.

parts for a h22 are extremely easy to find..as are h22's and they don't cost a first born child like some other honda motors do.

EDIT: here's another write up as well http://www.teaminterlude.com/3rdgenh22swap.asp

AutodreamMarvin
10-21-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
I don't think there is a pre-made turbo kit for the b20a5.

It's not exactly a good platform to work with. I have a feeling you'll be spending lots of time at the machine shop after all. As for engine management, I would probably stick with a rom tune. If your not going to do an obd1 conversion, go with turboedit, as IIRC, thats what Mr_ET is using on his OBD0 Turbo civic.

1990 Preludes are OBD1.

Originally posted by hellraiser456
i have been told numerous times that the b20a1(a5 as well) that come in those cars are not a good motor to turbo charge. i believe the reason was related to the stroke and you would need bottom end mods sooner than you would with other engines.

also parts for those motors are scarce.

that said a more popular swap these days is a h22 swap.

with a little modification to the motor mounts the motor and tranny will drop in. i believe you can use 92-94 Honda accord axles to get power to the wheels. it ends out being a tight fit...but it works...and a h22 in that car...you will be flying.

this is a write up on it...its old but it is very informative.
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190047

to me...this is your best and most cost effective method of getting more ponys out of that car.

you will want to upgrade the brakes and suspension as well.

parts for a h22 are extremely easy to find..as are h22's and they don't cost a first born child like some other honda motors do.

EDIT: here's another write up as well http://www.teaminterlude.com/3rdgenh22swap.asp

The rod/stroke ratio is more for the ability to rev, and the ability to make power up top.

As far as strength goes, it's probably as strong as a B18a.

But I like the H22 idea, especially since the mounts are alot cheaper now.

hellraiser456
10-22-2007, 09:46 PM
i can't remember the exact reason why..i just remember that the h22a swap was a far better route.

i own one of those things....its the biggest pos in Calgary but it runs...my buddy is using it for a winter beater..

anyway it has a b20a1...and at stock that motor can take some massive abuse...far more than my supra could. the motor just won't die...and yes...i have tried...very very very hard. if you did a fresh stock rebuild...went with a bigger turbo/less boost i think it would be just fine. maybe some fuel mods as well. i think that you would put some decent power..but still not near as much as h22a...and an h22a swap will still be cheaper than a turbo set up. then turbo the h22a and yea like i said...the car would be untouchable if you could get it to stick.

gt4
10-23-2007, 04:32 AM
1990 prelude is OBD 0.

2.0turbo
11-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys. That site was pretty helpful, infact a dsm manifold and turbo set up fits in there and apparently matches up to the ports on the head. I have yet to measure but someone has actually done that. Since those parts are so easily available, we'll go that route and I already have everything from intercoolers to injectors to fuel pump. It'll be a Prelude tsi.