PDA

View Full Version : reprogramming ECU on Hondas

mgravel
07-29-2002, 05:58 PM
I found this on a web site :

Why reset your ECM (Engine Control Module)?

Well after modifying the engine,adding bolt on's such as headers or intake,ect, the computer will need to adjust to the change that is why you may want to reset the computer..

...This being since Honda uses a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor to estimate air flow . The problem with this is that the stock ECU does not compensate for increased flow caused by intake or exhaust upgrades. The stock ECU uses fixed maps programmed into the computer to dictate the air fuel mixture. So an increase in air could cause the engine to run lean and thus it is not giving you the performance you hoped and paid for.

So once you start modding your car, this is what you do, it is suggested that the car is warmed up.

From the service manual.

1. Warm up car, until fan kicks on, shut off car.
2. Pull out BACKUP fuse from the under hood main fuse box (number 11 in diagram below).
3. Wait 5 minutes.
4. Put fuse back in.
5. Start car, make sure all accesories are off, DO NOT touch gas or brake.
6. Let run 10 minutes, then shut off and start again.
7. Your done.
8. Reset any accesories affected by the power loss, don't forget your alarm might yell at you for this and if you have a factory deck you will need the passcode.

What do you think????

Mortimer Schnur
07-29-2002, 07:48 PM
But it's still using the fixed maps.....:dunno:

redline
07-29-2002, 08:40 PM
you do not need to warm up the car first but other then that it is a little off but not that far.

Ekliptix
07-29-2002, 10:32 PM
According to the Service manual the ECU reset procedure is the following for a 2nd gen Integra:

ECU Reset procedure. (Perform every time when troubleshooting)
1. Turn the ignition switch off.
2. Remove the BACK UP fuse (7.5A) from the under-hood fuse box for 10 seconds to reset ECU.
CANADA: Remove the HAZARD, BACK UP fuse (10A) from the under-hood fuse box for 10 seconds to reset ECU.

(The following is not found anywhere in the service manual, but makes sense, so I follow it.)
Now when starting the car, let the car idle for 5-7 minutes with all accessories off and don't press the accelerator at all. Let the car warm up to normal operating temperature before pressing the accelerator. REMEMBER DON'T PRESS ON THE GAS PEDAL UNTIL IT HAS WARMED UP FOR 5-7 MINUTES. When the car has warmed up for 5-7 minutes turn the ignition off. ECU has been successfully reset.

redline
07-29-2002, 10:40 PM
the whole going lean put is :bullshit: but other then that...

gpomp
07-29-2002, 11:27 PM
I got a switch wired to one of the fuses that does that.

mgravel
07-30-2002, 10:35 AM
Mortimer, I think it would still used fixed maps, but they would be ajusted to your current car condition when you reset the ECM.

From what I read on the post I am understanding that it is a good idea to reset the ECM after having done a few modifications.

Anybody has done it and noticed a difference?
I will try this weekend and post hereif I notice something.

Some of you said what I posted was off a little bit, can you tell me what is off so I can do it properly?

Thanks

B17a
07-30-2002, 10:44 AM
After I got my intake I did it, I think the only difference I noticed was in my head!