PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Mercedes C240

Palmiros
10-20-2007, 02:33 PM
So i've been looking around for a while now, and I finally found something that I like/afford. (2001 Mercedes C240)
It only has 80000 km's and the price is fair for such a car.
In mint condition, 2.6 V6 standard RWD, leather interior, sunroof, ESP, abs and the list goes on.
So basically, i'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this model, (or any mercedes in general) that could give me advice as to what to look out for before buying.
I'm supposed to go do the paperwork on Sunday, but i think ill wait till monday so i can squeeze an inspection in there.
I've looked online but could not find any particular "defects" for the model year i previously specified.
Any/all thought appreciated. (reliability, bugs, strenghts etc)

autospeed
10-20-2007, 06:20 PM
The car is awsome. Solid build quality and tons of features, for the time I had one, it had no problems at all, and now my cousin owns on as well, which he's always brought to me to service and I've haven't seen any major problems at all. The only problem he had and has been noticed in more than a few 01 c240's was the mass airflow sensor, (mine never had this issue) but we replaced it and the car was good to go again. Have fun with the new ride it wont' dissapoint you:thumbsup:

Palmiros
10-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the info. Anyone else?

bobby_lu
10-21-2007, 02:04 PM
check out www.benzworld.org and look around there on the forums.

anhthanh
10-21-2007, 08:40 PM
its great car my friend drives one 17 k is good deal if i remember my friend bought his for 21,000 but his fuel pump failed on him at 100,000 km beside that its fun car to drive

G-ZUS
10-21-2007, 08:54 PM
isnt the c240 a 4 cylinder and the c280 straight 6's?

Palmiros
10-21-2007, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
isnt the c240 a 4 cylinder and the c280 straight 6's?
2.6-liter V-6

click here (http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0107_2001_mercedes_benz_c240/engine_handling.html)

Also, gonna call around tomorrow morning to see if i can book a same day inspection..
If anyone has any trustworthy suggestions, please let me know :)
Located in NW. Thanks guys!

mark4091
10-21-2007, 09:34 PM
17 for a 2001 merc with 80 kils sounds like a good deal to me.

euro tang
10-21-2007, 11:18 PM
My dad owns a 02 C240. The only thing I don't like about it is how slow it is.

If you don't care much about acceleration and care more about comfort then this car's a good choice.

As for reliability, the only thing he's had to fix so far was the sway bar bushings.

The C230 would be a better choice IMO,

Consumer Guide Automotive (http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2001-to-2006-mercedes-benz-c-class-4.htm)
"a supercharged 2.3-liter four-cylinder, rated at 192 horsepower, went into the C230 coupe. That was replaced by a 189-hp 1.8-liter for 2003. The C240 held a 168-horsepower, 2.6-liter V6."

Daan
10-21-2007, 11:25 PM
I've heard only good things from coworkers

and the price they told me is a steal ... so be careful and do an inspection and they think its too good to be true

Palmiros
10-22-2007, 12:34 AM
Thanks once again for the advice//replies.
As far as acceleration goes, of course I would like something decent. That being said, this model (c240) is enough for my needs. I'm not going to race it, im not going to mod it. I was looking at the C230 before i decided upon this model but heard not so pretty things that need to be done to the supercharger in order to keep it running in proper condition.
I'm just looking for a daily driver, and I must say the comfort and style of this car I very much enjoy. Going to do the inspection tomorrow morning; hopefully everything goes well.
@Daan, I also thought the price is not bad.. i really hope i can prove them wrong on the "it's too good to be true part" :)
I'll update you guys tomorrow.

whiskas
10-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Agreed, the C240 is slow like ass and the gearing is retarded with the 6 speed. 1st gear is extremely short. You have to row gears like mad starting from a stop.

Also, the traction control is stupid because it cuts power when it detects a wheel is spinning. I once couldn't drive up my slightly inclined driveway because there was a thin layer of ice on it. I would hit the gas, a tire would spin, the engine would cut fuel, I would floor the gas again but the car would just slide down the driveway. Only after I turned traction control off I could easily drive up.

The overall finish of the car is amazing though. The interior, exterior so beautifully put together. Everything feels solid and I'm very impressed with the suspension. Very comfortable on shitty Calgary roads, but still stays flat on the corners.

As long as you don't mind the sluggish pickup it's an amazing car.