PDA

View Full Version : Fixing car stereo & clock problem

HuMz
10-20-2007, 07:00 PM
This seems to be a very common problem, unfortionately though you get a million answers and noone really knows for sure.

The problem is with my dads Chrysler town & Country Van...after he replaced the battery his Stereo memory and clock would restart every time he started the car.

Now I had the exact same problem in my civic after shorting a wire during my first install, so the only way I could get the deck to work after was by splicing the red & yellow wire together.

So given that the problem is with the ignition wire, how do you go about fixing this or replacing it?

Any info or even a refereal to a place who can fix this would be greatly appretiated. Hes took it too Auto temp, Sound Surround, & the chrysler stealership and none of the above could even pin point the problem.

G-ZUS
10-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Check the fuses, I can't remember which one it is

LilDrunkenSmurf
10-21-2007, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by HuMz
This seems to be a very common problem, unfortionately though you get a million answers and noone really knows for sure.

The problem is with my dads Chrysler town & Country Van...after he replaced the battery his Stereo memory and clock would restart every time he started the car.

Now I had the exact same problem in my civic after shorting a wire during my first install, so the only way I could get the deck to work after was by splicing the red & yellow wire together.

So given that the problem is with the ignition wire, how do you go about fixing this or replacing it?

Any info or even a refereal to a place who can fix this would be greatly appretiated. Hes took it too Auto temp, Sound Surround, & the chrysler stealership and none of the above could even pin point the problem.

Check the "back up" fuse in the engine bay of the civic. It's the 7.5amp one. Had the exact same problem last week.
As for the Chryster, I'd assume it'd be the same/similar thing. Take an ohmmeter and put it across EVERY fuse and make sure it's reading 0 ohms. Or you can get a fuse tester... :dunno:

hifiguy
10-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Your dads minivan will have a constant power fuse for the radio/head unit. Replace that first. Most likely, the ignition wire is fine, that only affects the radio by determining when it can be powered on or not (when the key is in the ignition). If it is for your aftermarket deck, generally, the yellow wire is for the constant power(clock and radio stations memory). The red is the ignition wire. If you join both constant and ignition, you will be able to turn your stereo on without the key in the vehicle, hence draining your battery dead, assuming the constant power fuse is not blown. If your constant power fuse is blown and you do this. Your clock and radio stations will lose memory every time you stop the car, since there is no power when you turn the ignition off. So don't join the two lines. Hope this helps.