PDA

View Full Version : Who's Fault is it?!!?!?!?

FreakinPrince
10-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Hey guys i need your opinoin and maybe some ideas on how to tackle this issue

Yesterday my mom was at a parking lot somewhere in the SE with my sister.

She backed out of her spot, put the SUV in Drive gear and was ready to drive away until all of a sudden this woman who was backing up a few spots away from here bumped into my mom's SUV.

Now there is major scratch on the mounted tire case and passenger's side rear bumper (near quarter panel) is sticking a bit out.

She already went and reported to the police as we are pretty sure the damnage is over 1000 bucks

Now i remember someone had this similar thing happened to them and wonder exactly how did they go about making sure the person who caused the accident pay 100% coverage since they caused it?

any ideas or suggestion would be helpful.

PS i don't know why people don't have a brain to do something like this slowly and look both ways while backing up....

thanks for the opinions and suggestions!!!!

CRX-R
10-21-2007, 03:01 PM
50/50 - no way to tell who wasn't paying attention, most likely both of them, had you mom been looking in her rear view she would've seen the car coming at her... same goes for the other car. Plus it's a parking lot = 50/50 90% of the time

TE4MFaint
10-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by FreakinPrince

Yesterday my mom was at a parking lot...

This is about where I read up to.
99% of the time, Parking Lot = 50/50.

mark4091
10-21-2007, 03:53 PM
50/50, I'm willing to bet they both pulled out at simmiliar times.

Oldskool
10-21-2007, 04:00 PM
How about instead of asking people on Beyond, ask the insurance company, usually its 50/50 in parking lots, but not always, this might be one of those cases where its not.

TALK TO THE INSURANCE COMPANY

em2ab
10-21-2007, 05:06 PM

PS i don't know why people don't have a brain to do something like this slowly and look both ways while backing up....

I don't know why people don't have the brain to back into the space instead of out which is much safer. Pull out head on and there won't be problems. It's a much simpler and safer solution yet nobody wants to do it.

sh0ko
10-21-2007, 06:08 PM
why do ppl think its usually 50/50 in a parking lot?! i got in a good accident in the parking lot and i asked my insurance company and they were like wtf with this 50/50 thing?! for me it ended up being the guys fault 100%.

who knows.. maybe my insurance is wrong

mobius
10-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by sh0ko
why do ppl think its usually 50/50 in a parking lot?! i got in a good accident in the parking lot and i asked my insurance company and they were like wtf with this 50/50 thing?! for me it ended up being the guys fault 100%.

who knows.. maybe my insurance is wrong

You just lucked out, your case was probably clear cut. The insurance companies don't want to actually pay for any damages, so they split it down the middle. Usually neither one can prove which driver is 100% at fault.

bignerd
10-22-2007, 05:48 AM
Hard to say, I backed out of a spot once and was driving down the aisle of the parking lot when someone backed out of a stall into the rear fender of my car. Perhaps because they backed out into the rear of my car means they did not shoulder check very well but insurance covered it all for me. Maybe because I was already driving in the aisle and the lady backed out and did not yield right of way it was covered.

According to my insurance company as I am dealing with another parking lot accident, the time you really need a witness or it is usually 50/50 is when changing lanes on a road and having an accident with someone.

Lex350
10-22-2007, 12:07 PM

Yesterday my mom was at a parking lot somewhere in the SE with my sister.

She backed out of her spot, put the SUV in Drive gear and was ready to drive away until all of a sudden this woman who was backing up a few spots away from here bumped into my mom's SUV.

Now there is major scratch on the mounted tire case and passenger's side rear bumper (near quarter panel) is sticking a bit out.

She already went and reported to the police as we are pretty sure the damnage is over 1000 bucks

Now i remember someone had this similar thing happened to them and wonder exactly how did they go about making sure the person who caused the accident pay 100% coverage since they caused it?

any ideas or suggestion would be helpful.

thanks for the opinions and suggestions!!!!

I had this exact same thing happen to me. The other driver paid for all the costs. He fully admitted fault. It might have had something to do with the fact that immediately after the accident I got out with my camera and took pictures of:

the other driver
his license plate and the accident scene

he asked me if I was a lawyer.

403Gemini
10-22-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by TE4MFaint

This is about where I read up to.
99% of the time, Parking Lot = 50/50.

the "99% of the time, Parking lot= 50/50" is a myth

but if the damage is on both back ends of each vehicle - its 50/50.

So Te4mfaint is 50/50 right ;)