PDA

View Full Version : Skiing thread...

thrasher22
10-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Since there was a snowboarding thread, I thought we could use one too :D

I picked up a pair of brand new Elan 666's for dirt cheap at a Swap sale in Canmore today!

Anyone else pick up some new gear? Its sale/swap season!

Anyone else pumped for the season? If its anything like last year it'll be sick. I heard Sunshine opens Nov. 7th, I couldn't find info on any other open dates...

Canmorite
10-21-2007, 07:02 PM
Haha yes, our own thread.

I don't know if I'll pick up new skis this year. I've got a pair of Scratch BC's from a few years ago that are in ok condition, but the edges are shot (stupid rails).

I need new boots though.

Check out Facebook for the 'Sunshine Opener' event/group thing.

Gurpy
10-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Same gear for me, resort skis are the dynastar 8800's with look px12's, 2 seasons old so they have well over 150 days on them, beat up to hell. Touring skis are only a season old, voile carbon surf with fritschi freerides. Heading out to fernie on Nov 4th, moving back in April probably. Won't be here for sunshines opening, but hopefully hit sunshine for a couple days later on in November before Fernie opens :) .

Sunshine opens nov 8th I think.

canadiandaytona
11-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Can't wait...booking some CAT skiing this year..its going to be PIMP

nikka
11-09-2007, 08:43 PM
i just got the new salomon thrusters putting me up to 3 pairs of them now. such a sick ski. also got the new SPK boots and another pair of oakley crowbars :)

ps. it helps to work at ski shop... you get sweet deals on anything and everything :thumbsup:

Canmorite
11-10-2007, 08:13 AM
I saw those SPK boots at a ski shop here in Canmore. Funky looking boot. Those two buckles are beefy.

See you all at Louise, whoevers going!

Canmorite
11-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Sunshine opening day is looking great.

http://www.sunshinevillage.com/conditions/webcams.php

'93 SR-V
11-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by canadiandaytona
Can't wait...booking some CAT skiing this year..its going to be PIMP

I was thinking about hitting up rk heli ski this year, but cat skiing would be great too, do you know the names of any companies that offer cat skiing around here?

canadiandaytona
11-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Most are in BC, some great deals though
http://www.catskiing.ca/

I'm going with BigRedCats

How where the Hills this wekend?

Redlyne_mr2
11-17-2007, 12:52 AM
ne one hit up Sunshine yet.. gonna go this week.

bksze
11-17-2007, 05:34 PM
I went today. Much busier than I expected. We got there at 9:15 and already parked at the back of the main lot. Averaged 20 - 30 mins per run incl. line ups. I got up on Strawberry, Standish and WaWa. Goat's Eye was open too but not too sure which lifts were open. Overheard them saying Continental and Angel would be open next wkend. Decent to get out but not the greatest skiing. Watch out for the bare patches.

chrisc20
11-23-2007, 11:15 PM
i know fortress isnt as nice as some resorts, but i do miss the fact that it has been shut down, to me it is a big waste having a perfectly good hill shut down....

asp integra
11-25-2007, 09:20 PM
just saw this thread, nice to have a ski one this year

well as for new gear this year im getting armada pipe cleaners for park and ARG's for crazy pow days, cant wait to use em
i also have salomon dumont promodels last year that will now be my rail skis and 4frnt MSP's for all mountain

im rocking the SPk boot again, they are sick
and like nikka said, working in a shop is sick, im down at fresh

also i just refunded my RCR superpass this week, gonna go and get a sunshine pass now, the good thing is they are selling passes to people who refund their RCR pass for early bird prices, so they are stealing alot of business away from RCR!!!!!

Kobe
11-25-2007, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by asp integra
just saw this thread, nice to have a ski one this year

well as for new gear this year im getting armada pipe cleaners for park and ARG's for crazy pow days, cant wait to use em
i also have salomon dumont promodels last year that will now be my rail skis and 4frnt MSP's for all mountain

im rocking the SPk boot again, they are sick
and like nikka said, working in a shop is sick, im down at fresh

also i just refunded my RCR superpass this week, gonna go and get a sunshine pass now, the good thing is they are selling passes to people who refund their RCR pass for early bird prices, so they are stealing alot of business away from RCR!!!!!

Don't forget you already had a SICKKK photoshoot with C.O.P this year

:goflames: :goflames:

Canmorite
11-28-2007, 10:48 PM
When COP's park is up we should all go for a group 'park night'.

CelicaST-162
11-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Looking to get into the skiing scene, which resorts in BC and Alberta are beginner friendly?

89s1
11-28-2007, 11:54 PM
how much of a beginner?

When I moved here i really wasnt that great, had only skied 4 times i tihnk. went to COP twice to see if my wife was into it or not, and since we've found good skiing at sunshine, lake louise, and jasper.

there are easy runs at every resort. just get good at reading trail maps. :thumbsup:

Gurpy
12-05-2007, 01:16 AM
I lied about new gear..turns out I should be picking up a pair of Legend Pro XXL's this season. Soooooooooo stoked! Anybody hit sunshine recently? These past 2 days were epic...45cm total..drool.

MPowered
12-05-2007, 09:01 AM
I was there yesterday. What a first day!!!

It was raining at the base of the gondola and turned to snow halfway up. Only half the mountain open but found knee deep powder for the first 5 runs. I talked to a guide and he said they will probably open Divide in a couple of days and Goats Eye next week. They still need to get it packed down for a good base, but definitely looks like a good start to the season.:thumbsup:

sullygully
12-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
When COP's park is up we should all go for a group 'park night'.

Hey guys, i know i'm a snowboarder, but i have alot of skier friends that i ride with as well. Only problem, is that everyone i ride with isn't into the park scene.

So what i'm saying, is i'd be definetly down for a Beyond Park Session or two or three.... at C.O.P. As long as you don't mind a knukle dragger taggin along.

I can't wait to ride the pipe this year! And especially since there are no more pipes to be found this side of the rockies, i hope to come out to C.O.P. a lot this year to get my fix.

danno
12-05-2007, 10:12 PM
went to sunshine for half day today and it was crazy. so much powder it was insane, i'm not a really good skier so it was hard for me but it's nice landing in soft powder.

the woman's brother is the elan rep for western canada, so i may be able help people get next years model closer to the end of this year. if anyone is interested

Redlyne_mr2
12-05-2007, 11:16 PM
yah i was at sunshine all day today.. it was wicked.

asp integra
12-06-2007, 06:34 PM
ya i would be down for a park sesh at cop, big park is supposed to open mid dec and the date i have heard is dec 15 so that would be sick, i just need to hit some big jumps asap!

Canmorite
12-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Just got back from Sunshine, it was awesome today. The snow report said 7cms, but there was 20+ in a lot of areas. Either the staff are on crack or they're trying to keep all the tourists away for one day, either way it doesn't bother me ;)

SoLowMa
12-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Any COP seshn going on? Im there almost everyday never see any skiers?

SoSlowDx
12-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Hi guys,

I'm probably going to try skiing my first time at Sunshine Village. Any advice or opinions? haha...Probably will rent the gear there as I don't have/know a single thing about skiing haha...

Thanks in advance. :D

MPowered
12-27-2007, 07:14 PM
Anybody up to the hills the last 2 days? What's the snow like? How are the crowds?

TIA

asp integra
12-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by SoLowMa
Any COP seshn going on? Im there almost everyday never see any skiers?

what kinda stuff are u wearing? im there quite often