PDA

View Full Version : Importing a Mercedes Benz into Canada?

Weapon_R
10-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Has anyone successfully done this before? According to the RIV website, a person who imports an MB is required to submit a request to MB to see what requirements need to be done, in writing, including the VIN # of the car being imported.

I found a beautiful car here in the states, and I'll be here for a bit longer so I have time to slowly make it comply to Canadian standards. The problem is, by the time I write MB and get the letter back, nearly every car I bother checking out will be sold. Can I just send them any VIN # of the same car I find online and submit that to them instead?

Can I do the work myself? Do I have to take it to an MB dealer and have them do the compliance work? Anyone have direct firsthand experience importing an MB?

Hakkola
10-22-2007, 11:19 AM
I don't think anybody on Beyond has done it because from what I understand the costs are astronomical, if you do a search there are a couple threads which mention it.

benyl
10-22-2007, 11:27 AM
You are look at $7K +

You have to get a new cluster on most Benzes as they read in MPH only.

You really won't know until you get it here. So it is a gamble and that is why nobody does it.

Weapon_R
10-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by benyl
You are look at $7K +

You have to get a new cluster on most Benzes as they read in MPH only.

You really won't know until you get it here. So it is a gamble and that is why nobody does it.

You're right, I never even noticed that. The one I was looking at is MPH only too. I wonder if its worth investigating and trying to get it converted while I'm here (labor is way cheaper, so are parts). According to the RIV site, MB says it has to be brought to Canadian spec but it doesn't explicitly state that I have to bring it there to get it done.

snowboard
10-22-2007, 11:35 AM
DONTTTT DO IT.
my step grandfather had the worst time ever bringing in a new amg SUV..
mercedes is really making it hard to bring them across.
if you want i can get more details on why it was hard to get across
but it was a HUGE pain for him.

Weapon_R
10-22-2007, 12:27 PM
Sure, that would be great. If anything, at least we'll have some definitive answers as to what obstacles there are for MB importers.

snowboard
10-22-2007, 12:37 PM
k ill get some info about it this afternoon/tonight.

Edit: k yah, so its all about replacing the cluster, and the bumpers becasue they dont meet canadian impact standards.
which, obviously, being mercedes will cost an arm and a leg.

fcuk_it
10-22-2007, 01:41 PM
my friend got a broker to bring in his 03 ml55 amg with no problems at all... his cluster is in mph too... i'll ask him what company he used

Weapon_R
10-22-2007, 01:44 PM
Is that the bumpers or the bumper covers he replaced?

Rav4Guy
10-22-2007, 02:09 PM
Friend just imported one in himself.

- Replaced the bumper cover and what's underneath. (~5000)
apparently, you don't have to do it for transport canada but you do for MB standards.
- did not change cluster as there is a electronic speedo on cluster
- DRL's installed (just had it so his lights are on all the time.)
- brakes (not canadian standard.. or something.)

charizard
10-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by fcuk_it
my friend got a broker to bring in his 03 ml55 amg with no problems at all... his cluster is in mph too... i'll ask him what company he used

please do, apparently AMGs are supposed to be quite a bit harder

HRD2PLZ
10-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Rav4Guy
Friend just imported one in himself.

- Replaced the bumper cover and what's underneath. (~5000)
apparently, you don't have to do it for transport canada but you do for MB standards.
- did not change cluster as there is a electronic speedo on cluster
- DRL's installed (just had it so his lights are on all the time.)
- brakes (not canadian standard.. or something.)

- He did replace the bumper's (not sure if it was covers only or covers and anything underneath). What he had told me was that the Registry didn't care that this modification was done, but for it to be Mercedes-Benz certified it had to be done. So, it seems like this was an unnecessary modification.

- He did end up changing the cluster to the full Canadian instrument cluster (speedometer and odometer).

- Brakes were supposed to have been done before he bought the car. They were fine when it was inspected by the dealership in Scottsdale, however Hyatt told him here that they had to be done to be Mercedes-Benz certified.

- This vehicle was an AMG also, so its possible it was a little more complex than a regular Benz.

20incheyes
10-22-2007, 04:28 PM
On the US made ML Series you won't have any problems(AMG may be different), I have a friend who got one for his wife instead of a minivan from Cali and it was a walk in the park for him, justified by the savings.

max_boost
10-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by S2KMark
I have been looking at importing as well. Even more fascinating than the lack of warranty for Honda products is how Mercedes handles things. Cars imported from the US must be Canadianized by a Mercedes dealer for massive costs. Bumpers have to be changed as well as other unnecessary items for a cost of around $6 to $8k. BUNCH OF CRAP!!!!!

Mark

Originally posted by chrissa
Ohhh, don't even get me started about Mercedes! My folks just moved back to Canada from Pittsburgh. They had to leave their E320 down there. Mercedes USA refused to issue the recall letter. Despite the fact that the car was built in the US, and the Canadian version is almost identical. It's their way of controlling the used Mercedes market.

Lexus, on the other hand, was not a problem at all. They came across with an RX300 and had it registered in BC relatively easily.

Chris.

This was taken from the S2Ki forums.

Are the savings substantial enough to make it worthwhile?

Nav13
10-22-2007, 04:35 PM
This wont be alot of help, but I have a friend who brought an ML350 up about a year and a half ago, brought it up like any other car.

SikAssR1
10-22-2007, 04:44 PM
I recently bought my friends 03 ml55 that he brought up from arizona a couple years back and the only thing he had to do was install daytime running lights. Now I think you have to call a MB dealership and give them the serial number to check it out. The only catch its going to cost you $250.

turbotrip
10-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Are the savings substantial enough to make it worthwhile?

the savings on an E350 are about 20,000 so I think it is worthwhile, but does anyone have any experience with importing an E-class? some benzes are supposed to be more similar between the 2 countries and therefore easier to import.

euro_racer
10-22-2007, 04:49 PM
there goes my plans of getting a 99 c43 amg :guns: :guns:

oh well, thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:

E36M3
10-22-2007, 05:02 PM
I've imported two vehicles, an SL55 and a G500. It is not inexpensive. Budget up to 5k for the compliance work (in general) but you may get away at 3500.

Originally posted by Weapon_R
Has anyone successfully done this before? According to the RIV website, a person who imports an MB is required to submit a request to MB to see what requirements need to be done, in writing, including the VIN # of the car being imported.

I found a beautiful car here in the states, and I'll be here for a bit longer so I have time to slowly make it comply to Canadian standards. The problem is, by the time I write MB and get the letter back, nearly every car I bother checking out will be sold. Can I just send them any VIN # of the same car I find online and submit that to them instead?

Can I do the work myself? Do I have to take it to an MB dealer and have them do the compliance work? Anyone have direct firsthand experience importing an MB?

autospeed
10-25-2007, 09:44 AM
k so the riv doesn't actually care other than the cluster, and the drls? Cause I was thinking of importing one for myself too and personally I could care less what the dealership has to say about its certification, and warranty, since I'd take care of the repairs myself.

benyl
10-25-2007, 09:59 AM
The problem is that riv cares about the recall letter. If MB Canada or USA won't give one until the certification or compliance is done, then you have a problem.

autospeed
10-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Ohh ok good point, I didnt even think about that, I guess in that scenario it'd be good to make friends with someone at the dealership lol. Thanks for that heads up:thumbsup:

E36M3
10-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Yeah, it is best to be very nice to them. I got my recall letters both times before I had any work done, but YRRMV.

Originally posted by autospeed
Ohh ok good point, I didnt even think about that, I guess in that scenario it'd be good to make friends with someone at the dealership lol. Thanks for that heads up:thumbsup:

FiveFreshFish
10-25-2007, 10:10 PM
A buddy of my mechanic imported a CL600 AMG similar to this one last year through a private sale.
http://www.lasvegasmc.com/detail-2001-mercedes~benz-cl~class-cl600_amg_sport___-1832847.html

I can get more details next week if you want.