PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

S3rious~
10-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Need advice on liens:

There is a lien on my car and the person that sold it to me said that there was no lien on it... apparently there is a lien from someone even before him? He signed the bill of sale saying there was no lien on it too? I checked with registration before i insured it too. I don't get how this lien magically appeared.

If there is a lien on the car will registration still let you register the car?

What should I do????

Please and thanks,
Amanda

TomcoPDR
10-22-2007, 10:50 PM
Yep they can still let you register the vehicle with a lien.

The lien goes with the vehicle, the only possible way I can think this could happen is that the seller got the lien on the vehicle immediately after your lien search.

Which search tools did you use?

Only thing to do is to take the previous owner to small claims (if they sign the Bill of Sale being sold without lien)

Mitsu3000gt
10-23-2007, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by S3rious~
Need advice on liens:

There is a lien on my car and the person that sold it to me said that there was no lien on it... apparently there is a lien from someone even before him? He signed the bill of sale saying there was no lien on it too? I checked with registration before i insured it too. I don't get how this lien magically appeared.

If there is a lien on the car will registration still let you register the car?

What should I do????

Please and thanks,
Amanda

In the future, spend the $30 on a Car Proof and this sort of thing won't happen. Good luck.

topmade
10-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Try calling the company that has the lien on the car. They could of possibly forgot to take it off. This will happen sometimes as the money made on the car will be spent buying the loan out. Same thing happened to my dads car that he bought with cash from a dealership and had it for about 1 year before deciding to sell it and the potential buyer did a search and told us. I called the company that had the lien on it and it was taken care of right away.

Weapon_R
10-23-2007, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Only thing to do is to take the previous owner to small claims (if they sign the Bill of Sale being sold without lien)

If the previous owner can show he did not know about the lien, she cannot take the owner before him to court. This is why people always do a lien check before buying a vehicle.

S3rious~
10-23-2007, 11:03 AM
This is so stupid because the person that I bought the car from said that there was no way that we could insure the car if there was a lien on it and there was a lien on it from the person even before him.... I'm selling my car and the people who wanted to buy the car told me that there was still a lien on it from the person even before me...?????

Mauser
10-23-2007, 11:26 PM
If you go to registries, you can have a lien search done on the vehicle. This will provide the contact information as to who the lien holder is.

Of course the person who you purchased the vehicle from will claim there is no lien, as they are responsible for paying off their debt to the lien holder from the proceeds of the vehicle’s sale.

I bought a car, and never realized the car had a lien on it. It was only when I went to sell the vehicle, was this fact made apparent. I had to waste time locating the lien holder, in order to later sell the vehicle as free and clear.

In my case the previous owner had squared up with the lien holder - who never bothered to remove the lien.

S3rious~
10-24-2007, 06:18 PM
I got in contact with the poeple who gave the lien holder a loan.
Thanks guys
:thumbsup: