PDA

View Full Version : Battery issues with '91 Integra

JordanEG6
10-23-2007, 07:08 PM
I have a buddy whos got battery issues with his Integra. The battery drains out after a very short period of time (less than a day). We boost it, it's fine. When it's running, it's fine. Starting the car after 5 or 6 hours can be a problem. It drains out eventually to a point where it doesn't start.

Can't be alternator because it charges it when running, neither can it be the charging harness for that same reason.

My guess is the battery itself pretty much crapped out. Can anyone confirm?

bobby_lu
10-23-2007, 07:12 PM
You can have all the components of the electrical system checked, maybe he should look into that.

benyl
10-23-2007, 07:12 PM
How old is the battery? if it is the original that came with the car... it is time to replace it.

JordanEG6
10-23-2007, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by bobby_lu
You can have all the components of the electrical system checked, maybe he should look into that.

checked the grounds, the connections, seems okay

Originally posted by benyl
How old is the battery? if it is the original that came with the car... it is time to replace it.

came with the car...its run out plenty of times before as i was told (leaving lights on, sitting in the garage for a LONG time etc. etc.)

again, im leading towards the battery itself

frozenrice
10-23-2007, 07:54 PM
Likely your battery, but it won't hurt to check your charging system too. I just ruined a 2 year old Optima because my alternator was not working properly. Last thing you want to do is buy a new battery and end up where you started.

DC2
10-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Get a 12 volt test light and disconnect the negative. make sure everything is closed or off.
main things to usually check for are:
glove box light
interior dome
door lights (if any)
under the hood
trunk/hatch lights

close all the doors and wait about 30 seconds just to be sure that all electricity is drained out of the system and connect the test light. there should only be a very very dim light.

I had the same problem it turned out that the glove box switch came loose and the light stayed on. It drained the battery in 2 days.

alpineguy
10-24-2007, 12:13 AM
Just a quick question. Does the battery have little covers on the top of it?

f150mikey060
10-24-2007, 12:53 PM
the battery cannot hold the charge. thus the battery needs to be replaced. maybe try throwing an old battery in that you/a friend have laying around(that can hold a charge) and see if the problem still exists

JordanEG6
10-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by f150mikey060
the battery cannot hold the charge. thus the battery needs to be replaced. maybe try throwing an old battery in that you/a friend have laying around(that can hold a charge) and see if the problem still exists

switched the battery last night and it was okay this morning. We took the old one to canadian tire and it is indeed hooped. thanks anyways guys.