PDA

View Full Version : Employee/Employer Contracts

RickDaTuner
10-23-2007, 09:04 PM
So my employer, is requiring me to enter a 4 year contract with him.
Well the first draft that I was handed was far to open on the Employers side, he was requiring that I sign on for a 4 year contract in which i would be sponsored for further education, a 2 month course yearly for the next for years, the contract also states that if during those four years I decided to no longer work for his company than i would have to pay back the cost of each course, the cost would only be removed 16months after the final course was complete.

Now to me this contract is joke, there is no mention of wages during those four years, or anything really for that matter. My employer has requested that i re write the contract, and so far the things i have included in the contract are that

1. Instead of it being a a four year contract that it be renewed yearly
2. That after the completion of each 2 month course I receive a 10% minimum but not limited too pay increase.

and that's about it, if you guys could help me out a bit more on other things that would be beneficial to both the employee and the employer that would be great.

thanks for the help

Jlude
10-23-2007, 09:16 PM
what kind of school is it?

2 month courses? are you taking a trade?

RickDaTuner
10-23-2007, 09:18 PM
yup its a trade, and its theory based classes, with some practical on hands training.

Jlude
10-23-2007, 09:52 PM
that's crazy, 4 years!!!

what's the course?

JRSC00LUDE
10-24-2007, 08:18 AM
I wouldn't be signing an employment contract without seeking QUALIFIED independent review somehow.

I've bargained a labor contract for an entire corporation (part of 5 man team) and I wouldn't go it alone without educated help. "Interpretation" of words, puncuation and simple sentence structure can wholly change the intent of things and have them not mean what you thought they would.

It all depends on the scope of your contract of course but I'd be very, very careful. Union based or not, those things aren't designed with your best interests in mind for the most part.

Lex350
10-24-2007, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
So my employer, is requiring me to enter a 4 year contract with him.
Well the first draft that I was handed was far to open on the Employers side, he was requiring that I sign on for a 4 year contract in which i would be sponsored for further education, a 2 month course yearly for the next for years, the contract also states that if during those four years I decided to no longer work for his company than i would have to pay back the cost of each course, the cost would only be removed 16months after the final course was complete.

Now to me this contract is joke, there is no mention of wages during those four years, or anything really for that matter. My employer has requested that i re write the contract, and so far the things i have included in the contract are that

1. Instead of it being a a four year contract that it be renewed yearly
2. That after the completion of each 2 month course I receive a 10% minimum but not limited too pay increase.

and that's about it, if you guys could help me out a bit more on other things that would be beneficial to both the employee and the employer that would be great.

thanks for the help

have it reviewed and amended by someone qualified that has your interests in mind. If the prospective employer won’t allow that......run!