PDA

View Full Version : How to lose that damn gut??



Pages : [1] 2

cycosis
10-24-2007, 12:46 AM
Alright, so Ive been going to the gym for a solid 4 months now and Ive noticed lots of good results with gains in strength and muscle growth. Still most people would say im pretty scrawny, 6 foot 5 at 185 pounds. Thing is, ive got this gut of flab that can really only be noticed when I sit down and its driving me nuts because i cant seem to get rid of it. My diet is pretty healthy, no cookies, chips, sweets, etc.
Offer suggestions???

zipdoa
10-24-2007, 12:47 AM
Do more cardio.

ercchry
10-24-2007, 12:53 AM
run every day for 45-60min at the fastest pace you can for 4 weeks, but make sure to also do weights and stuff and lots of protein and you should be good to go if you dont eat white bread and other junk

Jlude
10-24-2007, 12:54 AM
sit ups... work on your core..


google workouts and piece together a new routine that focuses more on your abdominal area.

ercchry
10-24-2007, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Jlude
sit ups... work on your core..


google workouts and piece together a new routine that focuses more on your abdominal area.

sit ups wont do much for definition, its imposible (naturally) to just kill the fat in one spot of your body, gut is the hardest to get rid of and it requires a change in diet

riander
10-24-2007, 01:06 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

RX-7_TWINTURBO
10-24-2007, 01:10 AM
abs are made in the kitchen not in the gym

Supa Dexta
10-24-2007, 01:23 AM
it's a lost cause, we all end up old and with a gut, may as well just accept it..

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m61/mamacint/gut.gif

1-Bar
10-24-2007, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
its imposible (naturally) to just kill the fat in one spot of your body

Bingo. Generally to get the "six pack", you will have to be under 10% body fat. Males store most excess fuel around the gut area. Best bet is to change your diet.....

Lex350
10-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by cycosis
Alright, so Ive been going to the gym for a solid 4 months now and Ive noticed lots of good results with gains in strength and muscle growth. Still most people would say im pretty scrawny, 6 foot 5 at 185 pounds. Thing is, ive got this gut of flab that can really only be noticed when I sit down and its driving me nuts because i cant seem to get rid of it. My diet is pretty healthy, no cookies, chips, sweets, etc.
Offer suggestions???

Its probably your diet. I would check your balance of carbs to protein. If you want more of an explaination just pm me.

I've worked out for years.....5 weeks ago I changed my diet and I've lost 12 pounds and 2" inches off of my waist.

403Gemini
10-24-2007, 11:04 AM
Can anybody recommend a diet for somebody with little to no time to make anything to eat? I hardly have time to cook dinner let alone snag something on my way out the door for breakfast or even make something healthy enough for lunch. Ive been going to a sandwich place on the +15's and just get a tuna sandwich for under $5 with no mayo so i think my lunch is pretty good, but breakfast and dinner i need quick and easy solutions.

Im pretty much in the same situation as cycosis, ive been working out pretty hard for the last month and a half and theres quite a drastic difference in my muscles of what they were and what they are now (hell 2 of my shirts dont fit anymore and my arms fill up the sleeves on my 2 shirts now, so :thumbsup: ) but i cant shake my fucking gut. My solar plexus is solid but my lower abs suck ass.

89coupe
10-24-2007, 11:36 AM
A great "quick" meal I use for cutting weight is one can of tuna, one stick of celery diced and a half a cucumber diced and one tbsp of low fat mayo, salt and pepper to taste.

Other days I take one chicken breast, boil it, and for a side, steamed veggies.

Oh, drink lots of water through out the day.

Works great!

jdmXSI
10-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Quick easy meal for breakfast, well what i have every day when i get up is a shake. Throw some frozen mango's, pineapple's and mixed berries with a banana some vanilla yogurt and cranberrie juice in a blender and you got a great breakfast!

cycosis
10-24-2007, 11:51 AM
alright so as far as diet goes then... i eat lots of fruits and veggies, tuna and sardines, eggs, brown bread that has ltos of nuts and crap(maybe one loaf every 3 weeks), cereal in the morning, yogurt, more rice than noodles and beef 2-3 times a week. maybe portions are too big? Im kind of at a loss because most of my body is lacking but i guess its impossible to build up body weight and loose fat at the same time??

diet suggestions?

snowboard
10-24-2007, 11:53 AM
portion control is huge.
im actually in the midst of fixxing all my shit up to

chicken and rice
tuna and brown bread.
chicken and rice
tuna and brown bread
chicken and rice
tuna and brown bread.

lol..

89coupe
10-24-2007, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by cycosis
alright so as far as diet goes then... i eat lots of fruits and veggies, tuna and sardines, eggs, brown bread that has ltos of nuts and crap(maybe one loaf every 3 weeks), cereal in the morning, yogurt, more rice than noodles and beef 2-3 times a week. maybe portions are too big? Im kind of at a loss because most of my body is lacking but i guess its impossible to build up body weight and loose fat at the same time??

diet suggestions?

Its simple really, measure your calories. If you are burning more then you are taking in you will lose weight. PERIOD!

jbabante
10-24-2007, 11:54 AM
6'5 and 185 pnds? that's pretty skinny man... i'm 5,11 and 175 and i'm doin alright... u drink a lot? maybe u should take in easy on that area ;) And definitely, ab work out works :thumbsup: Not drasticly but still helps for sure...

1-Bar
10-24-2007, 12:41 PM
an easy method to help with diet is to cut your carbs in 1/2. I know its pretty tough to think WTF is a carb is ahead of time. If you happen to be eating a sandwich, take the top off. If your meal has some rice/noodles, cut it in half and throw it on the floor or something.....

jbabante
10-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
an easy method to help with diet is to cut your carbs in 1/2. I know its pretty tough to think WTF is a carb is ahead of time. If you happen to be eating a sandwich, take the top off. If your meal has some rice/noodles, cut it in half and throw it on the floor or something.....

:rofl: can't get any clearer than this :rofl:

Lex350
10-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
Quick easy meal for breakfast, well what i have every day when i get up is a shake. Throw some frozen mango's, pineapple's and mixed berries with a banana some vanilla yogurt and cranberrie juice in a blender and you got a great breakfast!

wow...that's rather high glycemic. You aren't doing yourself any favors here. You aren't goign to burn any fat in your body that way.


http://www.glycemicindex.com/

Use carbs with a lower glycemic level and make sure you are eating protien with those carbs.

Balance-
carb grams x.75 = protein grams

T78Supra1
10-24-2007, 02:16 PM
.
Eat oatmeal around 8am everyday for breakfast then have a shake at around 10:30 this will keep your apetite down at lunch. (12pm) Lunch time eat a tuna sandwich or chicken breast or anything low fat. Lunch time is the time to eat your carbs because after lunch you should limit your Carbs.
Eat another snack at 3pm (celery and peanut butter is good)

Then a low fat low carb dinner at around 5:30-6p, then a no carb snack at 8pm

This Diet works awesome with a daily workout program, you will never be hungry.

Keep your Calorie intake to about 1400 and make sure that at least one day aweek you are sweating like a pig. Also remember to cheat at least on meal a week (example: pizza, wings whatever) this will jump start you metabolism.

89coupe
10-24-2007, 02:33 PM
So the guys that are giving this advice, do you practice what you preach?

Are you Gym rats?

Lex350
10-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
So the guys that are giving this advice, do you practice what you preach?

Are you Gym rats?

yes I do...this is more about diet than being a gym rat. You can work out as hard as you want but if your diet isn't right you will not lose fat.

89coupe
10-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by rotten42


yes I do...this is more about diet than being a gym rat. You can work out as hard as you want but if your diet isn't right you will not lose fat.

Usually go hand in hand, unless of course you are just starting.

1-Bar
10-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
So the guys that are giving this advice, do you practice what you preach?

Are you Gym rats?

:thumbsup:

iceburns288
10-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
run every day for 45-60min at the fastest pace you can for 4 weeks
Don't do this, all you will do is run off all the muscle you have worked so hard to build up, but hardly anything will come off your gut. There is some pretty good advice elsewhere in the thread, though.

cycosis
10-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Thx for the help

ercchry
10-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288

Don't do this, all you will do is run off all the muscle you have worked so hard to build up, but hardly anything will come off your gut. There is some pretty good advice elsewhere in the thread, though.

no it will not kill off your muscle if you feed you muscle lots of protien right after you are done, i have done this and it work realy well, you wont want to do it for ever but once you are where you want to be you just have to maintain it

jbabante
10-24-2007, 08:45 PM
surgery :dunno:

Lex350
10-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288

Don't do this, all you will do is run off all the muscle you have worked so hard to build up, but hardly anything will come off your gut. There is some pretty good advice elsewhere in the thread, though.

I'm with you on this one. To burn fat you don't work out at that high of an intensity

Freddy J
10-24-2007, 10:45 PM
Abs are made in the kitchen.

But, if you want to burn excess fat off in the gym, do weights. The more muscle you have on your body, the higher your resting metabolism. Thus making you a fat burning machine. Try focusing on doing circiut training with weights. Low rest (30 seconds) and keep your body moving.

For example:

Pick 3 exercises that work differet body parts, do all 3 exercises (performing 8-15 reps) in a row with no rest. Once those are done, rest 30 seconds, and go again. Repeat 3 times in total. Once you are done that pick 3 more exercises and do the same with those. Focus on keep your heart rate up the whole workout. You will burn tonnes of excess fat this way.

Hope this helps.


If you want to know more message me. :)

ercchry
10-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by rotten42


I'm with you on this one. To burn fat you don't work out at that high of an intensity

to burn fat you dont want to workout at a low intensity, sure its always been up for debate but as long as you dont starve the muscle you will see very little loss in muscle, and if you have ever ran for 45min then you would know that you cant do it at a sprint and really its just a jog

im not just making this shit up, its in this guys eff-ing book, now does it look like he has lost a lot of muscle?

http://64.62.135.218/images/uploads/tom-venuto-3.jpg

oh and how about runners? i mean people that really train, they run crazy amounts, like some times 2 hours at a time during training, and do they become pencil thin? well sure some but most no

Supa Dexta
10-25-2007, 01:17 AM
Another interesting thing is look at most of the guy`s in MMA, they work out a ton and can do crunches and sit ups all day long, but generally aren`t cut with raging 6 packs...

Donmega
10-26-2007, 12:34 AM
i was just about to make a thread with pretty much exactly the same problem as you. Looks like the diet's gonna have to change :) Gotta get rid of this gut for next year and keep it that way

Darkane
10-26-2007, 01:21 PM
Listen very closly, and no I don't have a shredded 6pack and I'm still aways till then, but When I started I was in a much harder spot than most people and have made brilliant progress.

1) Fish oil - Take 20-30grams a day liquid form
2) Great multivitamin - Beverly Nutritional Pak works excellent
3) x2 a week 20min high intensity Cardio - Anymore than this can fault muscle growth/gains
4) AS MANY AS POSSIBLE 45 minute slow intensity walking sessions per week - Even twice a day 45 in the morn, 45 at night. Low Intensity will not deter gains and will burn fat.

Diet: 1.5-2G of protein per lb of body weight. Ratio could be as high as 60% whole food, and 40% whey for convenience. Carbs should be kept to 100 a day and ONLY low GI with a 5 hour before bed cutoff. Eat 6 meals a day and space out the meals, make time for it, this is your body, it's the only one you get.

QUIT DRINKING and sleep 8 hours a night whatever you may have to sacrifice.

Sounds like quite a bit but I challange anybody to actually follow this for a month to the T, then come back and say how well it worked.

Continue working out as you do as well.

sputnik
10-26-2007, 01:59 PM
It is pretty simple.

PUT THE FORK DOWN

There is no magic recipe or method. Just have to consume less calories than you burn.

It doesnt matter WHAT or WHEN you eat anything you just have to eat less.

89coupe
10-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
It is pretty simple.

PUT THE FORK DOWN

There is no magic recipe or method. Just have to consume less calories than you burn.

It doesnt matter WHAT or WHEN you eat anything you just have to eat less.

Not that you have to eat less, you just have to burn more calories then you consume. Simple really.

sputnik
10-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe


Not that you have to eat less, you just have to burn more calories then you consume. Simple really.

Agreed.

I usually tell people to eat less because otherwise they go do some hardcore cardio and then go pig out afterwards as a "reward" to themselves.

At the end of the day its counting calories.

Lex350
10-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe


Not that you have to eat less, you just have to burn more calories then you consume. Simple really.


semi-agree...it also depends on what those calories are coming from.

iceburns288
10-31-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
oh and how about runners? i mean people that really train, they run crazy amounts, like some times 2 hours at a time during training, and do they become pencil thin? well sure some but most no
Are you serious? The vast majority of runners (99%, or more) are sticks. I run an average of 11-14 miles a day: it would be wise to assume by now that my only sport is competitive distance running. I have pencils for arms and yet I don't have a defined stomach. Why? Cuz my diet is pretty crap (well, relatively...) but at least I admit it. I mean, I'm obviously not out of shape, and I have some definition, but I'm far from a six pack.

Masked Bandit
10-31-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by RX-7_TWINTURBO
abs are made in the kitchen not in the gym

This is about the most acurate thing said in the entire thread. Lots of other good info too.

kerry
10-31-2007, 06:26 PM
C
A
R
D
I
O

and

D
I
E
T

rollinv4l
10-31-2007, 06:32 PM
what do you think is a good weight for a 5'11" male

Mckenzie
11-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by iceburns288

Are you serious? The vast majority of runners (99%, or more) are sticks. I run an average of 11-14 miles a day: it would be wise to assume by now that my only sport is competitive distance running. I have pencils for arms and yet I don't have a defined stomach. Why? Cuz my diet is pretty crap (well, relatively...) but at least I admit it. I mean, I'm obviously not out of shape, and I have some definition, but I'm far from a six pack.

According to a study I read, the body of a runner over time leans itself out and becomes less 'massive' to become more efficient, streamlined and to have more endurance. The majority of runners I know are leaner than others who do weights and other forms of cardio...however I dont feel that one of them along is sufficient enough to lean someone out.


The best advice in this thread is "Abs are made in the Kitchen" followed by the many forms of excercise necessary to burn calories and increase metabolism.

Some things I would like to add:

1- Try to reverse the order of meal sizes- biggest first then smallest towards the end of the day (you dont need a 1000 calorie steak dinner at 7:30 3 hrs before bed)

2- If you are limited for time in the gym, try and do all the body weight/large muscle excercises you can- push ups, pull-ups, pull-downs, reverse pull-ups, squats, lunges, rows- avoid the over-rated "bicep" day.

3- Green tea fires up your metabolism like no other

4- Avoid large carb portions past like 3-4pm

5- Lots of protein, water, veggies, fruit, fibre, whole grains- avoid the stuff you know you should not eat.

T-Dubbs
11-01-2007, 09:29 AM
brennon, are u fucking kidding?
if anything u need some more weight, as i do

post a pic bren!

T-Dubbs
11-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by rollinv4l
what do you think is a good weight for a 5'11" male
i was thinkn the same thing...
im 5'11 and like 155lbs.... def could use some more beef on me

racin_jayson
11-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Sice my work is fairly active and I don't go to a gym what has worked well for me is an excellent balanced diet, SMALLER PORTIONS (this is so important as I used to eat way more than I need to, even though it was healthy food) LOTS and I mean lots of water, And regular excercise, whatever it is. I'm nowhere near being ripped, but I'm strong and managed to get rid of that annoying little gut.

kerry
11-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by rollinv4l
what do you think is a good weight for a 5'11" male


That kinda thing has lots of factors. Bone structure, bone density, natural frame size etc etc etc.

You could be 5'11 and be healthy anywhere between 155 and like 250.

I'd say a good weight would be.... 30 lbs... soaking wet with a winter coat on though.

Revhard
11-01-2007, 12:19 PM
I am not ripped, but my diet since the baby came has been all over the place.
I have learned that everybody reacts differently to food and exercise, but 2 huge factors are stress and sleep.
Getting 7-8 hours a night, and not creating stress has helped alot.
If it wasn't for these 2 things, I would be a complete lard-ass.

Also, exercise is like food, smaller doses more often is more efective. Two 20 min sessions are more effective than one 40 minute.
I have to get back in the gym now that things are almost under control.
I'm 5'10" and 190, so not ripped at all.
I think without looking professional I could go down to 175.
Getting back into the gym and weighing 180 is my goal.
I'd say 5'11" would be around 175-190 average in decent shape
and not skinny muscle-wise.
Body composition is a huge factor though, as mentioned.

iceburns288
11-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie
According to a study I read, the body of a runner over time leans itself out and becomes less 'massive' to become more efficient, streamlined and to have more endurance. The majority of runners I know are leaner than others who do weights and other forms of cardio...however I dont feel that one of them alone is sufficient enough to lean someone out.
Definitely. My calves have become considerably smaller (I used to play football before I ran :p) but they are all muscle; just lean muscle, that's all.

The best advice in this thread is "Abs are made in the Kitchen" followed by the many forms of excercise necessary to burn calories and increase metabolism.
+1, plus all the other stuff you listed is also great.

Splooge
11-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by 1-Bar


Bingo. Generally to get the "six pack", you will have to be under 10% body fat. Males store most excess fuel around the gut area. Best bet is to change your diet.....

aww man i've got a long way to go...i just did a rough calculation and I'm at 14% :rofl:

Lex350
11-26-2007, 01:22 AM
I'm 9 weeks into my diet (health plan) and I'm down 21 pounds. I would probably be even farther ahead if I worked out more than I do but that isn't possible right now.


For workouts I play ball hocket for 2 hours once a week and do 2 workouts consisting of 20 minutes cardio and 40 minutes of weights. My goal is to lose another 5 pounds by December 15th.




Some of the benifits so far:

1) down 21 pounds
2) down 2" off my waist
3) not snoring anymore at night
4) Sleep apnia is gone
5) Blood pressure is down
6) I don't get stiff after workouts anymore
7) More energy..particularly in the afternoon.
8) more endusrance during hockey.

sexualbanana
11-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Aside from the diet, do wind sprints and other high-intensity, short-burst running. Especially if you're weight training objective is to gain strength and weight. If you're looking to lose weight and gain muscle endurance, THEN go for lower-intensity, and longer duration.

Eclipse_Spyder
11-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by rollinv4l
what do you think is a good weight for a 5'11" male

when ur 5 11" it depends how u wanna look, if u just wanna be lean a good weigfht is about 175-190, if u wanna be muscular a good weight is between 200 and 220, and if u wanna be like hulk hogan go above all that and train and train till ur totally ripped

Eclipse_Spyder
11-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by rotten42
I'm 9 weeks into my diet (health plan) and I'm down 21 pounds. I would probably be even farther ahead if I worked out more than I do but that isn't possible right now.


For workouts I play ball hocket for 2 hours once a week and do 2 workouts consisting of 20 minutes cardio and 40 minutes of weights. My goal is to lose another 5 pounds by December 15th.




Some of the benifits so far:

1) down 21 pounds
2) down 2" off my waist
3) not snoring anymore at night
4) Sleep apnia is gone
5) Blood pressure is down
6) I don't get stiff after workouts anymore
7) More energy..particularly in the afternoon.
8) more endusrance during hockey.

good stuff, keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Eclipse_Spyder
11-27-2007, 11:57 AM
ok so i started working out on october 10 2007

Starting weight was 214 pounds with a 38inch waist, and was totally out of shape since leaving high school, and main diet was consisting of probly couple litres of alcohal over every weekend, and eating as much beef and chicken and other not so healthy things

Today is novmember 27, I know weigh 194.5 pounds with a 32inch waist, and my diet consistes of high protein, no fast food, no alcohal, and i workout 5 sometimes 6 days a week, doing 2 muscle groups each day for about an hour on each group, then running 5k, so total workout in a day is about 2.5-2.75 hours

Major diffrences in my like right now, are that i lost lots of weight and inches of my waist, and definetly have tons more energy and a lot more power, im not lazy anymore and feel good and refreshed every morning now

CLiVE
11-27-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Eclipse_Spyder


when ur 5 11" it depends how u wanna look, if u just wanna be lean a good weigfht is about 175-190, if u wanna be muscular a good weight is between 200 and 220, and if u wanna be like hulk hogan go above all that and train and train till ur totally ripped

:werd: I'm only slightly taller (6'0) and my weight over the past 4 years has varied from 162 - 215lbs depending what activities I was involved in. Never was fat, nor had a gut.
When I was running/marathon training I dropped to 162lbs. (all running, no weight training). When lifting weights 4+ days/week, light cardio on off days I managed to get up to 215 lbs.

My ideal weight is around 195lbs.

tommy1223
12-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Eat lots of veggies, and fruits too. Try to eat your veggies raw so it retains the nutrients in it. Dont do the same work out moves every time you work out, mix things up a little so you trick your body and mind.

over the summer i was in great shape since i had more time to excercise and such, but since school have started, my abs have been slowly dissapearing due to lack of excercise ( too much school and hw). I now mostly watch what i eat and work out when i can to keep in shape and no gain any more than i already have.

Trini
12-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by iceburns288

Are you serious? The vast majority of runners (99%, or more) are sticks. I run an average of 11-14 miles a day: it would be wise to assume by now that my only sport is competitive distance running. I have pencils for arms and yet I don't have a defined stomach. Why? Cuz my diet is pretty crap (well, relatively...) but at least I admit it. I mean, I'm obviously not out of shape, and I have some definition, but I'm far from a six pack.
same here I use to do long distance running and play alot of soccer,upper body was thin like a stick and I had pretty large legs..had a six pack but that was more due to kick boxing training.
I'm 5'10 and I weigh 160..need to gain some more weight

zipdoa
12-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by CLiVE


:werd: I'm only slightly taller (6'0) and my weight over the past 4 years has varied from 162 - 215lbs depending what activities I was involved in. Never was fat, nor had a gut.
When I was running/marathon training I dropped to 162lbs. (all running, no weight training). When lifting weights 4+ days/week, light cardio on off days I managed to get up to 215 lbs.

My ideal weight is around 195lbs.

if you have low bodyfat @ 215lbs and 6'0 you would be f**king jacked..

i'm 6'7 and working on 220lbs and i wouldn't consider myself skinny..

Lex350
12-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by tommy1223
Eat lots of veggies, and fruits too. Try to eat your veggies raw so it retains the nutrients in it. Dont do the same work out moves every time you work out, mix things up a little so you trick your body and mind.

over the summer i was in great shape since i had more time to excercise and such, but since school have started, my abs have been slowly dissapearing due to lack of excercise ( too much school and hw). I now mostly watch what i eat and work out when i can to keep in shape and no gain any more than i already have.


don;t go crazy on the veggies...they are carbs (with vit. and min erals) but they still are carbs and you will not lose weight that way.


Your abs are probably disappearing due to diet...noit exercise.

95EG6P
01-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Get a certified Personal Trainer that has experience and they will help cuz it's there job.

sputnik
01-02-2008, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by rotten42



don;t go crazy on the veggies...they are carbs (with vit. and min erals) but they still are carbs and you will not lose weight that way.


Your abs are probably disappearing due to diet...noit exercise.

Potatoes are carbs and so are carrots to a certain degree.

Everything is else veg is low or zero carb.

Lex350
01-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by sputnik


Potatoes are carbs and so are carrots to a certain degree.

Everything is else veg is low or zero carb.

not true...they may be low glycemic but not necessarily low carb

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

dimi
01-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Eclipse_Spyder


when ur 5 11" it depends how u wanna look, if u just wanna be lean a good weigfht is about 175-190, if u wanna be muscular a good weight is between 200 and 220, and if u wanna be like hulk hogan go above all that and train and train till ur totally ripped

Dude 5'11 200-220. :rofl: I'm sure a lot of you watch UFC MMA. GSP is 5'11 and competes at 170. Would you call him skinny? Mind you his weight is probably all muscle, but 220 :thumbsdow

bruceod
01-02-2008, 12:29 PM
cut back on the beer

Antonito
01-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by dimi


Dude 5'11 200-220. :rofl: I'm sure a lot of you watch UFC MMA. GSP is 5'11 and competes at 170. Would you call him skinny? Mind you his weight is probably all muscle, but 220 :thumbsdow

220 is getting on the beefy side, but if GSP is like any other fighter, 170 is what he's at at the weigh-in, with zero water in him

dub_c
01-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Im 6'4, 255lbs. But, I'm sure my bone structure plays a big part in the weight category.

Pic for reference;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/travisb101/photoresize.jpg

footballer
01-02-2008, 12:55 PM
just watched a study on diets. It says that the only way to lose weight is to reduce calories. Healthy low calorie meals is the only way. The big secret was that proteins make you feel full, faster. Thus by eating protein you can reduce the amount of food you need, and reduce the amount of calories you are taking.

kerry
01-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by dub_c
Im 6'4, 255lbs. But, I'm sure my bone structure plays a big part in the weight category.

Pic for reference;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/travisb101/photoresize.jpg

You're a pretty big dude.

I'm 6'0 and 240lbs. Maybe I'll take a reference pic too, but I'm a big dude. There's no way I'll ever be under 210 and still healthy.

So for 5'11 it depends on bone structure/frame size etc etc. Most "average" guys at 5'11 hover between 170 and 190, but that's an AVERAGE and not a good reference.

Focus more on bf percentage and your endurance working out at the gym. If you can handle a half hour of fairly intense cardio and then lifting after, I'd say you're healthy bud regardless of weight.

dub_c
01-03-2008, 01:10 AM
If I can hit 240 with a moderate tone of body, and keep a regular eating cycle I'll be happy.

And to think, I was 16, 5'10 and 140lbs LOL.

No one in my family has ever been my size.

kerry
01-03-2008, 01:57 AM
I'd like to lose another 10lbs but the put it back on in muscle. 240 is a good weight for me. Most people are usually shocked with my weight too.

If you stayed at 255lbs dude, it's not a bad thing. You're just a monster like me hahaha.

My dad is a huge mo fugga but I'm bigger and stronger than he ever was, or so I've been told.

KRyn
01-03-2008, 02:08 AM
dub_c how big are your arms?

kerry
01-03-2008, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by KRyn
dub_c how big are your arms?

lol

mdeluxe
01-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by ercchry


sit ups wont do much for definition, its imposible (naturally) to just kill the fat in one spot of your body, gut is the hardest to get rid of and it requires a change in diet

I agree :thumbsup:

dub_c
01-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by KRyn
dub_c how big are your arms?

not as big as I want them. All natural too :thumbsup:

dub_c
01-04-2008, 01:06 AM
I love how you can't edit posts, but anyways, to those wanting too loose weight, theres lots of smart guys in this section. If you're dedicated to it, you'll see the results.

But, don't expect them over night. A lot of guys I see at the gym bitch and moan because they've been lifting for a month, and don't see results lol.

Give yourself a set date, and a set amount of lb you wanna loose, and you can accomplish it. And don't give up and be a lazy prick.

I just took a job that I work 21 on, 4 off, 12 hr days. All across Canada I'm going to be working, and all I'm gonna have is db's to take with me.

But anyway, grow some balls, become dedicated to what you want, and you'll get what you've earned.

1-Bar
01-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Antonito


220 is getting on the beefy side, but if GSP is like any other fighter, 170 is what he's at at the weigh-in, with zero water in him

Agreed. He probably walks around 185-190 regularly and day after weigh-ins around 180ish for fight night. Its amazing how these athelets can cut/gain weight so fast....

Lex350
01-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by footballer
just watched a study on diets. It says that the only way to lose weight is to reduce calories. Healthy low calorie meals is the only way. The big secret was that proteins make you feel full, faster. Thus by eating protein you can reduce the amount of food you need, and reduce the amount of calories you are taking.


watching your calorie intake isn't exaclty true. One calorie you you may not be the same to me:

CALORIE , by definition, is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water one degree Celsius. The Calorie is the standard unit for measuring food energy; it is a unit measure for heat and is not a nutrient. The Calorie used in nutrition is the kilocalorie (kcal) or large calorie (Cal).

The caloric value of different food elements are: one gram of protein equals four calories, one gram of fat equals nine calories, and one gram of carbohydrate equals four calories. Nearly 80% of all food intake is used solely to maintain a body temperature of 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit.


The key is to balance your carbs/fat and protien and spread that intake out over more meals. Most people don't realize that just injesting more protien isn't the answer because your body can only absorb a certain amount of protien at a time.

If you keep your insulin levels balanced throughout the day you will burn more fat and your metabolism will speed up.


I drop 24lbs in 12 weeks. I went from 206 to 182. I'm starting see see abs now. I have another 10 to go before I'm done. Not bad for 43 years old.



If you want to get cut, diet is the key over exercise.

dub_c
01-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by rotten42



watching your calroie intake isn't exaclty true. One calorie you you may not be the same to me:

CALORIE , by definition, is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one kilogram of water one degree Celsius. The Calorie is the standard unit for measuring food energy; it is a unit measure for heat and is not a nutrient. The Calorie used in nutrition is the kilocalorie (kcal) or large calorie (Cal).

The caloric value of different food elements are: one gram of protein equals four calories, one gram of fat equals nine calories, and one gram of carbohydrate equals four calories. Nearly 80% of all food intake is used solely to maintain a body temperature of 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit.


The key is to balance your carbs/fat and protien and spread that intake out over more meals. Most people don't realize that just injesting more protien isn't the answer because your body can onlt absorb a certain amount of protien at a time.

If you keep your insulin levels balanced throughout the day you will burn more fat and your metabolism will speed up.


I drop 24lbs in 12 weeks. I went from 206 to 182. I'm starting see see abs no. I have another 10 to go before I'm done. Not bad for 43 years old.



If you want to get cut, diet is the key over exercise.

Good job, old man. ;)

CLiVE
01-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by rotten42


The key is to balance your carbs/fat and protien and spread that intake out over more meals.



What do you think is a good balance? 40/30/30% ?
That is my goal. I use www.fitday.com to track. (Free)

Lex350
01-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by CLiVE


What do you think is a good balance? 40/30/30% ?
That is my goal. I use www.fitday.com to track. (Free)

That's what I've been doing.


Go buy this book:

"Fat Won't Make You Fat",
Dr. L. Lee Coyne

Darkane
01-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Hmm, if you guys are dieting hard make sure not to plummet your body temp.

Good indication of a higher basal metabolism is 36.5C upon initially waking up in the morning. Every .3C (1F roughly) can lower basal metabolism by 10%!!!

Body temp is almost directly related to Thyroid. Crashed thyroid = stopped weight loss.

Lol throw up some more Reference pics people

I'm rocking 6'3 @238 with 17% BF. Must get to 10% :D

kerry
01-05-2008, 02:51 AM
Always good to train in full sweats and a hoodie to keep body temp up :thumbsup:

mikestang
01-05-2008, 03:19 AM
2 years ago i weighed 275lbs and had a 42-44inch waist.. could only curl 25lbs in 1 arm, bench 135lbs struggling

1 year ago i weighed 202 lbs and a 34 inch waist strength similar

now i weigh 240lbs.. curl 70lbs in 1 arm, bench 245lbs, deadlift 410... and im about to start cutting again

the best advice for you from soneone who's changed alot with a very very far endomorphic body type

everyone is different, to become where you want to be you need to do trial and error from people who are like yourself (body type wise.. there are 3 types, endo, ecto and mesomorph... read up on it) .. of course counting calories being the big part.


and yes, working your core will make your CORE more toned. you can't fucking walk on a treadmill and expect your gut to dissapear by itself.

there are so many core excercizes to do it isnt even funny, and its the last thing people do because it's the most painful and unconfortably muscle group to work.

more than 25 minutes of HIIT is a waste of time. the month I lost 35lbs I did 30 minutes a day, and I still ate at wendys...

Fuck I eat takeout twice.. sometimes 3 times a day. I'm the epitomy of unhealty living.. I just work my ass off at the gym. You know what my diet was for the last month?

mcdonalds breakfast, tim hortons for lunch, wendy's triple burger for supper.

just dont be a bitch at the gym. work your core off, make sure you do some weights, then jump on the treadmill for no more than 30 minutes... fuck high intensity interval training.. run at a solid pace that you can continue to do so for 30 minutes, just make sure you're sweating like a fucking dog once you hit about 10 minutes in... if you don't you already have a six pack, or oyu're nto running fast enough..

since you have a gut, take a month and work your core... your abs are considered to be a type a muscle (i believe) which means you don't need to give it much rest compared to your chest, arms, etc. you can do a tough workout on them every day or two. so instead, why not eat a lot of protein, keep the cardio to a minimum, really increase your core size - then shock your body and do the opposite.


ps. what I do when I want to lose weight.. I eat tuna salad and a chicken sandwhich in a day with lots of water... when im hungry... I eat more tuna salad. I'll take in 200g of protein through tuna in a day... along with mantinance weights and 30 minutes cardio.. ill drop weight so fast it isnt even funny. aslong as you don't go on binges once you're done and ease back into the unhealthy eating and conitnue at the gym, you won't gain that fat back (which happens when you shock your body).

dub_c
01-05-2008, 05:48 AM
alright kids, this was at 4am, im drunk, i dont care, critique all you want.


http://i10.tinypic.com/86jz5si.jpg


:angel:

im drunk, good night.

mikestang
01-05-2008, 12:29 PM
i was half cut when i posted my shit.. sometimes i make little sense and ramble on hahaha

http://www.license2cruise.com/pics/mikearm.jpg

kerry
01-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by mikestang
2 years ago i weighed 275lbs and had a 42-44inch waist.. could only curl 25lbs in 1 arm, bench 135lbs struggling

1 year ago i weighed 202 lbs and a 34 inch waist strength similar

now i weigh 240lbs.. curl 70lbs in 1 arm, bench 245lbs, deadlift 410... and im about to start cutting again

the best advice for you from soneone who's changed alot with a very very far endomorphic body type

everyone is different, to become where you want to be you need to do trial and error from people who are like yourself (body type wise.. there are 3 types, endo, ecto and mesomorph... read up on it) .. of course counting calories being the big part.


and yes, working your core will make your CORE more toned. you can't fucking walk on a treadmill and expect your gut to dissapear by itself.

there are so many core excercizes to do it isnt even funny, and its the last thing people do because it's the most painful and unconfortably muscle group to work.

more than 25 minutes of HIIT is a waste of time. the month I lost 35lbs I did 30 minutes a day, and I still ate at wendys...

Fuck I eat takeout twice.. sometimes 3 times a day. I'm the epitomy of unhealty living.. I just work my ass off at the gym. You know what my diet was for the last month?

mcdonalds breakfast, tim hortons for lunch, wendy's triple burger for supper.

just dont be a bitch at the gym. work your core off, make sure you do some weights, then jump on the treadmill for no more than 30 minutes... fuck high intensity interval training.. run at a solid pace that you can continue to do so for 30 minutes, just make sure you're sweating like a fucking dog once you hit about 10 minutes in... if you don't you already have a six pack, or oyu're nto running fast enough..

since you have a gut, take a month and work your core... your abs are considered to be a type a muscle (i believe) which means you don't need to give it much rest compared to your chest, arms, etc. you can do a tough workout on them every day or two. so instead, why not eat a lot of protein, keep the cardio to a minimum, really increase your core size - then shock your body and do the opposite.


ps. what I do when I want to lose weight.. I eat tuna salad and a chicken sandwhich in a day with lots of water... when im hungry... I eat more tuna salad. I'll take in 200g of protein through tuna in a day... along with mantinance weights and 30 minutes cardio.. ill drop weight so fast it isnt even funny. aslong as you don't go on binges once you're done and ease back into the unhealthy eating and conitnue at the gym, you won't gain that fat back (which happens when you shock your body).

This guy is the only one that's given realistic advice.

Work your fucking ass off at the gym. Diet does play a difference in how much you can lose, but if you work your bag off every single day then you'll get results regardless. I've heard of and seen dudes eat like shit, smoke but still lose more weight than people on proper diets. My best friend used to bike WAY more than necessary. He pushed the absolute limits of his body and still ate shitty food but managed to lose a tonne of weight.

I'm not the epitomy of fitness, but I work my fucking ass off every single day when I'm at the gym. If I don't feel like I've done enough, instead of heading to the change room I'll turn around and keep going.

The cheesy phrase is true. No pain, no gain.

Ephedrine, Clen, DNP, Green Tea Extract, proper diet, etc. Small idea of the things that can help you drop FAT.

None of those will make you more of a freak though. None of those will make you faster or stronger. If anything they can hinder your fitness goals in terms of strength and speed.

I also weighed 290lbs back last January with a 40" waist and a weak sauce 155lb bench press. Curls were non existant as well as any hint of definition. I couldn't do chin ups and I couldn't run.

Now from March 15th until today my bench press is up to 245lbs as well and can do full chin up sets. But on top of the basic main "lifts" I can pull off full sets 110lb dumbbell tricep press for 3 full sets. I have a pretty strong core and have really good endurance at the gym specially for a big guy. I weigh in at between 238lbs and 242lbs. I'm 6'0 and still losing more fat and getting stronger.

Sure my results may not be unbelievable or super human but that doesn't mean I don't do everything I have to make them better. How? Lifting until you can't, running until you hurt and pushing that one extra rep more than you did last time. It does pay off and it does suck. Stretch properly, drink lots of water and make sure to get proper rest though. You do need to repair those muscles, but that's no excuse to not push them as hard as you can on the days they're assigned to.

My core days are DEATH for example. I made my buddy puke the other day because it was too much for him. Your workouts should be that hard for you. But they should be fun and you do need the time off to rest targeted muscle groups.

At the risk of sounding super cheesy I'll give you guys what I go to the gym with. My gloves, gear, the best workout partner anyone can have (iPod loaded with music) and a killer attitude.

When I'm at the gym I go with one thing in mind. Like tomorrow I'm going to have to fight for my life. Whether it's a mental, physical or emotional battle... your time at the gym will help you through life with the proper attitude. It's a great place to work off some day to day frustrations, girl problems or just to let loose and forget about the world for a few hours. As soon as I walk in to my gym I'll say to myself the harder it is here, the easier it is out there.

Wow that was uber cheese lol. But it's true. Giver shit guys.

mikestang, you look like a monster dude.

Darkane... where's your pic? lol

mikestang
01-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks :D


I change month to month.. I'll gain 25lbs then lose 25 lbs...

depends on my mood that month.. do i want to throw mass weights around or get skinny

Hayate
01-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by kerry


This guy is the only one that's given realistic advice.

Work your fucking ass off at the gym. Diet does play a difference in how much you can lose, but if you work your bag off every single day then you'll get results regardless. I've heard of and seen dudes eat like shit, smoke but still lose more weight than people on proper diets. My best friend used to bike WAY more than necessary. He pushed the absolute limits of his body and still ate shitty food but managed to lose a tonne of weight.

I'm not the epitomy of fitness, but I work my fucking ass off every single day when I'm at the gym. If I don't feel like I've done enough, instead of heading to the change room I'll turn around and keep going.

The cheesy phrase is true. No pain, no gain.

Ephedrine, Clen, DNP, Green Tea Extract, proper diet, etc. Small idea of the things that can help you drop FAT.

None of those will make you more of a freak though. None of those will make you faster or stronger. If anything they can hinder your fitness goals in terms of strength and speed.

I also weighed 290lbs back last January with a 40" waist and a weak sauce 155lb bench press. Curls were non existant as well as any hint of definition. I couldn't do chin ups and I couldn't run.

Now from March 15th until today my bench press is up to 245lbs as well and can do full chin up sets. But on top of the basic main "lifts" I can pull off full sets 110lb dumbbell tricep press for 3 full sets. I have a pretty strong core and have really good endurance at the gym specially for a big guy. I weigh in at between 238lbs and 242lbs. I'm 6'0 and still losing more fat and getting stronger.

Sure my results may not be unbelievable or super human but that doesn't mean I don't do everything I have to make them better. How? Lifting until you can't, running until you hurt and pushing that one extra rep more than you did last time. It does pay off and it does suck. Stretch properly, drink lots of water and make sure to get proper rest though. You do need to repair those muscles, but that's no excuse to not push them as hard as you can on the days they're assigned to.

My core days are DEATH for example. I made my buddy puke the other day because it was too much for him. Your workouts should be that hard for you. But they should be fun and you do need the time off to rest targeted muscle groups.

At the risk of sounding super cheesy I'll give you guys what I go to the gym with. My gloves, gear, the best workout partner anyone can have (iPod loaded with music) and a killer attitude.

When I'm at the gym I go with one thing in mind. Like tomorrow I'm going to have to fight for my life. Whether it's a mental, physical or emotional battle... your time at the gym will help you through life with the proper attitude. It's a great place to work off some day to day frustrations, girl problems or just to let loose and forget about the world for a few hours. As soon as I walk in to my gym I'll say to myself the harder it is here, the easier it is out there.

Wow that was uber cheese lol. But it's true. Giver shit guys.



Best advice anyone has ever given me...i just started on my routine about 2 weeks ago.
You got me pumped man, im off to the gym now lol

Darkane
01-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Hayate


Best advice anyone has ever given me...i just started on my routine about 2 weeks ago.
You got me pumped man, im off to the gym now lol

Stay intense for sure, but don't hurt yourself. Remember (at least for me) Lifting and healthy habits are now my lifestyle. I want to be able to look great at 40 even 50 years old while everyone is fat and broken. I wouldn't go to failure unless your goal is to mass (hypertrophy). If you want fat loss + strength go with a lower volume, lower rep and eat correct ALL The time.

dub_c
01-06-2008, 04:09 AM
kerry im waiting for you :dunno: ill challenge you to whatever you wanna curl, deadlift, squat etc. i want some competition :nut:

ps, im drunk again. :thumbsdow

Unknown303
01-06-2008, 11:11 AM
I for one am a huge fan on high intensity workouts, but i do it with weights. I read somewhere above about combining three different moves in a row that target 3 drastically different areas of the body and these are pure gold.

Do Squats then chin ups and then bench press with no rest in between With minimal rest between doing the next three and you will be working up a sweat in no time.

Other things i would recommend is start taking CLA and possibly a complete fatty acid supplement. If you read up on CLA it could make the difference in some people from being >10% or <10% body fat.

Last but not least and this one will be a little far fetched but i started the P90X workout last week and it is truly insane, no matter how much you workout and think you are in shape this workout will push you to the limits. I've had a hard time walking for the last two days because these workouts are so intense, and on a few of the days i would sweat so much I looked like i might have greased myself up with baby oil.

Lex350
01-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by kerry


This guy is the only one that's given realistic advice.

Work your fucking ass off at the gym. Diet does play a difference in how much you can lose, but if you work your bag off every single day then you'll get results regardless. I've heard of and seen dudes eat like shit, smoke but still lose more weight than people on proper diets. My best friend used to bike WAY more than necessary. He pushed the absolute limits of his body and still ate shitty food but managed to lose a tonne of weight.

I'm not the epitomy of fitness, but I work my fucking ass off every single day when I'm at the gym. If I don't feel like I've done enough, instead of heading to the change room I'll turn around and keep going.

The cheesy phrase is true. No pain, no gain.

Ephedrine, Clen, DNP, Green Tea Extract, proper diet, etc. Small idea of the things that can help you drop FAT.

None of those will make you more of a freak though. None of those will make you faster or stronger. If anything they can hinder your fitness goals in terms of strength and speed.

I also weighed 290lbs back last January with a 40&quot; waist and a weak sauce 155lb bench press. Curls were non existant as well as any hint of definition. I couldn't do chin ups and I couldn't run.

Now from March 15th until today my bench press is up to 245lbs as well and can do full chin up sets. But on top of the basic main &quot;lifts&quot; I can pull off full sets 110lb dumbbell tricep press for 3 full sets. I have a pretty strong core and have really good endurance at the gym specially for a big guy. I weigh in at between 238lbs and 242lbs. I'm 6'0 and still losing more fat and getting stronger.

Sure my results may not be unbelievable or super human but that doesn't mean I don't do everything I have to make them better. How? Lifting until you can't, running until you hurt and pushing that one extra rep more than you did last time. It does pay off and it does suck. Stretch properly, drink lots of water and make sure to get proper rest though. You do need to repair those muscles, but that's no excuse to not push them as hard as you can on the days they're assigned to.

My core days are DEATH for example. I made my buddy puke the other day because it was too much for him. Your workouts should be that hard for you. But they should be fun and you do need the time off to rest targeted muscle groups.

At the risk of sounding super cheesy I'll give you guys what I go to the gym with. My gloves, gear, the best workout partner anyone can have (iPod loaded with music) and a killer attitude.

When I'm at the gym I go with one thing in mind. Like tomorrow I'm going to have to fight for my life. Whether it's a mental, physical or emotional battle... your time at the gym will help you through life with the proper attitude. It's a great place to work off some day to day frustrations, girl problems or just to let loose and forget about the world for a few hours. As soon as I walk in to my gym I'll say to myself the harder it is here, the easier it is out there.

Wow that was uber cheese lol. But it's true. Giver shit guys.

mikestang, you look like a monster dude.



Darkane... where's your pic? lol


sure you'll look good...but you won't be healthy with that approach. When you are yoiung to can get away with it but as you age it will catch up to you.


But yeah...as long as you look good...right?

Lex350
01-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Darkane


Stay intense for sure, but don't hurt yourself. Remember (at least for me) Lifting and healthy habits are now my lifestyle. I want to be able to look great at 40 even 50 years old while everyone is fat and broken. I wouldn't go to failure unless your goal is to mass (hypertrophy). If you want fat loss + strength go with a lower volume, lower rep and eat correct ALL The time.



:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1-Bar
01-06-2008, 01:08 PM
wow, this thread is exploding....I guess its cause of the new years weight loss phenomena. I guess I'll throw in my $0.02

From my experience, I find that a lot of people are concerned with weight loss this, weight loss that. They hit the gym early in Jan with great motivation, but after about a 4-6 weeks of this intense, highly motivated workouts, they step on the scale and bam, back to square one. They didn't shed all the weight they would have expected with their effort and now their discouraged, no motivation and are now sitting on the couch with direct deposits taken out for the gym every month......

Time and time again, its not about body weight, but rather body composition. Sure you may have battled though an intense 1 month workout, sore as hell every day but only can account for 4lbs loss in body mass, but more importantly your body composition has dramatically changed, increased in LBM and decrease in body fat.

Coles notes: stay highly motivated, attitude is the key. Don't be concerned with body mass, as body comp is a more accurate measurement of health :thumbsup:

As for diet goals, the easiest thing I ask people to do is to keep a journal of everything you eat and at what time for a 2 week period. Its a PITA but it will point out your weaknesses and holes in your diet.....

Looking back CLiVE at the top of this page posted a good link.

Good luck in 08

pinoyhero
01-06-2008, 04:03 PM
^ Well said,

I'd add that you don't want to get going to heavy at first. Don't set your goal if you're never trained before at 1 hour 5 times per week, because you'll quit really fast.

Try starting with 45 mins 3 times a week and alternate cardio and full body circut training

As far as eating is concerned concentrate on eating more often so you're not hungry and end up over eating. Also start killing certain foods, for example, never take down pop or sports drinks, stick with water, or skip white rice for long grain type thing.

kerry
01-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by rotten42



sure you'll look good...but you won't be healthy with that approach. When you are yoiung to can get away with it but as you age it will catch up to you.


But yeah...as long as you look good...right?

You know I slowly get more and more sick of your comments dude. Sure you're old and in good shape. Good job. I mean it. Your results that you've posted are great. It's super admirable that you've manned up and changed yourself for the better. But none of that gives you the right to question or insult the way I train. So you can get fucked for that ridiculous and unnecessary comment.

Now let be very simple and clear on one thing. I do not have a six pack. I don't have cords in my chest bulging out and I'm not shredded. I've worked my ass off to look healthy and I'm very very fucking proud of that. I don't look like a model or an insane athlete but I'm still proud of what I've done. So on that note fuck you. I live healthy and AM healthy.

Now I'm friends with some killer fucking athletes. They're all national level swimmers and they train their asses off. All of their coaches? Same deal. That's where I get my attitude from. Young AND old insane athletes. They don't make excuses like some of us.

I never said that it was the right attitude for everyone. I told you what mine was. Do I need your opinion? No. But you'll still give it and it's your right to. Do I care if my attitude isn't right for a 40+ male? Nope. When I'm 40 then I can change how I train. Fuck, when I'm 30 I'll probably change how I train. To keep healthy right?

Look at Randy Couture. Or some of these hardcore triathletes or marathon runners. Old. Sure they may be exceptions, but they're proof it's possible to continue to train as hard as possible. They're proof that with the right mind set you can do anything. That was my point.

When you assume that I'm going to stick with this forever it only makes an ass out of you and me :thumbsup:

Now go hang out with your family and stop picking on us internet nerds ;)

Yes I do take this seriously, because my health is a serious thing.

kerry
01-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
wow, this thread is exploding....I guess its cause of the new years weight loss phenomena. I guess I'll throw in my $0.02

From my experience, I find that a lot of people are concerned with weight loss this, weight loss that. They hit the gym early in Jan with great motivation, but after about a 4-6 weeks of this intense, highly motivated workouts, they step on the scale and bam, back to square one. They didn't shed all the weight they would have expected with their effort and now their discouraged, no motivation and are now sitting on the couch with direct deposits taken out for the gym every month......

Time and time again, its not about body weight, but rather body composition. Sure you may have battled though an intense 1 month workout, sore as hell every day but only can account for 4lbs loss in body mass, but more importantly your body composition has dramatically changed, increased in LBM and decrease in body fat.

Coles notes: stay highly motivated, attitude is the key. Don't be concerned with body mass, as body comp is a more accurate measurement of health :thumbsup:

As for diet goals, the easiest thing I ask people to do is to keep a journal of everything you eat and at what time for a 2 week period. Its a PITA but it will point out your weaknesses and holes in your diet.....

Looking back CLiVE at the top of this page posted a good link.

Good luck in 08

I completely agree with ya too Chris. When you do step on the scale remember that scales don't tell you how you look, how you feel or how confident you should be. It's just a number.

Feel good about working hard for what you want, and it'll come. It will take time, but it will come.

kerry
01-06-2008, 05:38 PM
OH.... and I'll put my pic up later tonight ;)
I'm certain my friends will make fun! hahaha