PDA

View Full Version : Turbo or Supercharger

Kronyk
07-29-2002, 08:41 PM
Which one would you pic of your car and why?

buh_buh
07-29-2002, 08:42 PM
turbo for sures.
more potential for upgrades, and a BOV!!!

B18C
07-29-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Kronyk
Which one would you pic of your car and why?

No....Not again......

It depends what you want. Do some research on sites that may be more knowledgeable on sc's and tc's for your car. I don't know enough about probes to even start.

shadowz
07-29-2002, 08:55 PM
Turbo you have a lot of room to get more horse power IMO, it seems harder to get added power from a S/C but still good power

redline
07-29-2002, 09:23 PM
:rofl:

just put leo's ass on a pipe and put that in your car!

but since i have had both on my car i would pick and not pic a turbo!

T5_X
07-29-2002, 09:36 PM
engine swap :thumbsup:
There's neither kit for my engine, but if I put a 5L in there, supercharger, cause it's so much cheaper & reliable

2000impreza
07-29-2002, 10:07 PM
its personal choice. it would pick depending on which car i had.

MiNG
07-29-2002, 10:10 PM
i would have to go with a turbo just for the BOV.

dj_honda
07-29-2002, 10:23 PM
turbo has more potential power but there is turbo lag

supercharger has no lag but less potential power

i would get a turbo...

redline
07-29-2002, 10:28 PM
on the lag issue a SC can have lag it depands on which type of SC you choose :banghead:

T5_X
07-29-2002, 10:29 PM
doesn't a roots style have less lag then a cetrifugal?

redline
07-29-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31
doesn't a roots style have less lag then a cetrifugal?

roots or positive displacement = no lag
centrifugal = ass charger or lag

Audi Kid
07-29-2002, 10:41 PM
cant u put a BOV on a SC?

redline
07-29-2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Audi Kid
cant u put a BOV on a SC?

yeah they call it a by-pass valve...

T5_X
07-29-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by redline

yeah they call it a by-pass valve...

vents it back into the intake. Bah, it needs to go into the atmosphere, that's when you get the PSSHHHHT sound :thumbsup: then you're running rich like an unnamed xr4ti owner

Audi Kid
07-29-2002, 10:48 PM
your running damn smokey to

choweyt3t4
07-29-2002, 10:53 PM
that depends on how fast you want to blow your motor lol.if you want to over heat it and detonate the engine real fast go supercharger.if you want to have the motor for a little longer then go turbo.but if you cant decide between the 2 then get both and let me know how long your engine lasts ok?also is this car going to be a daily driven car and im not talking just to and from work either.summer and winter as well????

max_boost
07-29-2002, 11:02 PM
It depends what type of power out put you are looking for. In the end it will come down to proper installation and tuning that should determine whether your motor will blow or not.

GTS Jeff
07-29-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Audi Kid
cant u put a BOV on a SC? you can on some kinds.

T5_X
07-29-2002, 11:43 PM
actually, come to think of it, I don't think a BOV would help too much on a supercharger, especially not on a roots style. Think about it, when you shift in a turbo, the turbo keeps spinning and when the compressed air hits that throttle plate, the back pressure building up will put the turbo at a dead stop. With a s/c, when you let off the gas, the s/c spinning drops off with respect to engine rpms anyway, so back pressure wouldn't really be an issue. Only thing, maybe it would help on a centrifugal s/c which runs at much higher rpms, with over, say 12 psi of boost.

2000impreza
07-30-2002, 12:03 AM
what i'm wondering is why would you go turbo just for that stupid pssssst.... sound from a BOV? if you ask me it gets annoying.

Redlyne_mr2
07-30-2002, 10:35 AM
wanting a turbo just for a bov..damn guys dont be like that

max_boost
07-30-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
wanting a turbo just for a bov..damn guys dont be like that

According to you and I quote
"Superchargers are nothing but a poser way to do up a car"

Fluidic
07-30-2002, 10:55 AM
TURBO!!!!

I love my 1.8T... turbo is where it's AT!! :)

Peter

Redlyne_mr2
07-30-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

According to you and I quote
"Superchargers are nothing but a poser way to do up a car"
I'm still not a fan of superchargers nor will I ever be..there are great cars out there that are supercharged ie Kenny's car and soon to be rages car but imagine if those were turboed..it would be like a Lexus with a 2jz in it..the best of both worlds:thumbsup:

boi-alien
07-30-2002, 11:42 AM
i say turbo.... more potential for power. SCs are nice, but not as much potential... and plus the BOV is a bonus

300rwhp
07-30-2002, 11:50 AM
more potnential power isnt true they both can similar amount of power take for example the pro 5.0 class of mustang drag racing
i know its mustang all the time with me but i pay attention to them so anywas steve grebeck had 6 sec turbo car which was setting records but he only went high sixes ok and evryone else was going 7s with nitrous and superchargers
what i am saying is that when done right and tuned properly they can both make equal amounts of power

however the fastest drag cars uses superchargers not turbos

Redlyne_mr2
07-30-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by 300rwhp

however the fastest drag cars uses superchargers not turbos
not on the import drag racing circuit..all turbo..in japan all you see on built cars are turbos..nitrous and superchargers come a distant second

redline
07-30-2002, 12:30 PM
and besides that turbos are BANNED in all forums of NHRA drag racing except import classes!!!

Most import engines do not have the displacement to make enough intial power to run a big SC to make tons of power. Those Top fuel drag cars SC take like a 1000hp to make 5000hp or some shit like that...

Ed the SOHC
07-30-2002, 01:08 PM
I like both sc and turbos. I guess it depends on the vehicle you put it on. I think a turbo would do more to a small displacement engine, like mine, then a sc can do.

edit: as for reliability I say sc's are more reliable... but I have nothing to back that up but from what I've read in the magazines.

sexualbanana
07-30-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by choweyt3t4
that depends on how fast you want to blow your motor lol.if you want to over heat it and detonate the engine real fast go supercharger.if you want to have the motor for a little longer then go turbo.

i thought it was the other way around?? i thought turbos generated more heat than sc's.

Superesc
07-30-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Ed the SOHC
I like both sc and turbos. I guess it depends on the vehicle you put it on. I think a turbo would do more to a small displacement engine, like mine, then a sc can do.

I agree with *Turnip-head* there! :D (You know who told me this..) :rofl:

For my little B18B, Turbo is the only way to go.

-Cal

Ed the SOHC
07-30-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Superesc

I agree with *Turnip-head* there!

For my little B18B, Turbo is the only way to go.

-Cal

Someone's been talking to *Helium-head*... :D :guns:

dj_honda
07-30-2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

i thought it was the other way around?? i thought turbos generated more heat than sc's.

i always thought that heat was bad in both cases??......which is why there is the intercooler.....and that thermo wrap stuff.....cuz cool air is denser and therefore more power....:dunno:

redline
07-30-2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

To make a statement like this you need to realize where the heat comes from in both apps.

And in both cases the heat comes from compressing the air not the exhaust manifold. And turbos are more effiencent at compressing air then SCers and therefore generate less heat. (the statement is a generalization but if you look hard enough you might be able to prove it wrong.) Then you could also say that a SC needs a intercooler more then a turbo...

HillBilly
08-02-2002, 10:48 PM
I think turbos are the way to go. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

5.9 R/T
08-03-2002, 01:12 AM
Depends for what car. Depends on how much you wanna spend. Almost all of these guys here have 4cyls so of course they are going to say turbo because there isn't a lot of SC options for them, and for the money a turbo is better suited anyways. For the V8 guys they have to buy two of everything almost, or pay for a rather expensive single turbo setup, and since SC's are rather cheap and have more development time on 5.0's and 350's etc. they are the logical choice. That being said I would love to have a TT setup on the truck for a number of reasons. 1. it has gobs of low end tq already, i don't want boost in the lower half of the powerband for traction reasons. 2. the way it's setup now I run out of breath at ~4500rpm with a 5200rpm redline, a turbo would fix that. 3. It's already a gas guzzler, with a turbo i have the choice of saving gas (not using boost) with an SC I don't. 4. It hasn't been done yet, and it would make my truck an orginal which would be sweet.

[GaGe]
08-04-2002, 07:21 AM
Get a supercharger and a turbocharger.. :drool: