PDA

View Full Version : 10-digit dialing in 2008

01RedDX
10-24-2007, 01:23 PM

A790
10-24-2007, 01:24 PM
Ahh, so Western Canada finally catches up with the rest of the country ;)

teggypimp95
10-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Most of BC has already been doing this for years. Its gonna suck.

rage2
10-24-2007, 01:27 PM
It'll be fine. I pretty much only use my cell phone, and all the numbers already have 10 digits for txt messaging purposes.

JRSC00LUDE
10-24-2007, 01:30 PM
OH HELP ME JEEBUS!!!! :eek: How will I ever remember everyone's unique personal 3 digit area code????

Won't somebody pleeeeeeeez think of the children? :cry:

GQBalla
10-24-2007, 01:44 PM
mmm interesting.

is canada expanding that much?

how will normal 7 digit numbers still work though? will you be able to type in a 7 digit number as normal yet if needed dial in a 10 digit number?

teggypimp95
10-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
mmm interesting.

is canada expanding that much?

how will normal 7 digit numbers still work though? will you be able to type in a 7 digit number as normal yet if needed dial in a 10 digit number?

You will always have to dial the area code first. So no more 7 digits. And there will be a new area code added.

JRSC00LUDE
10-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Next thing you know, there will be a massive revolt and some bald-headed fat man will divide the city and kidnap "The Who".

DayGlow
10-24-2007, 01:59 PM
I grew up in BC and we had to do it out there when they divided the province into 2 area codes, but I never really understood why.

If I live in a certain area code, say 403 and just dial the 7 digits, why doesn't the system assume that I am dialing for the area code that I am in. It's not like Calgary will get multiple area codes to cover the whole city, it will still be 403. You'd think it would be easy for the system to default to the local area code if only a 7 digit number is used, no matter how many area codes are in the region.

Same for my cell. If my cell has a 403 number, then the default 7 digit area code would be the same.

98type_r
10-24-2007, 02:11 PM
They're overlaying the new 587 area code on top of the two existing area codes. Which is easier for the phone companies but a bit of an inconvenience for consumers.
So basically people in any part of Alberta will be issued numbers using the 587 area code once the existing 403/780 numbers are used up.

A790
10-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
I grew up in BC and we had to do it out there when they divided the province into 2 area codes, but I never really understood why.

If I live in a certain area code, say 403 and just dial the 7 digits, why doesn't the system assume that I am dialing for the area code that I am in. It's not like Calgary will get multiple area codes to cover the whole city, it will still be 403. You'd think it would be easy for the system to default to the local area code if only a 7 digit number is used, no matter how many area codes are in the region.

Same for my cell. If my cell has a 403 number, then the default 7 digit area code would be the same.

Calgary will be getting a second area code (as was mentioned on the website). Since the same number could exist on another area code it only makes sense to have to dial it.

It's an extra three numbers- no big deal.

Antonito
10-24-2007, 02:23 PM
This sucks, I went through it in Vancouver. It's not so bad when it's going to be the 403, you just automatically dial 403, it becomes habit after maybe a couple of weeks. What's really going to mess with your head is when only like one or two of your friends have the 587, you'll never remember to do it, and you'll probably get the Chime of Stupidity. "doo-doo-doo, the number you are dialing....."

Not the end of the world, but annoying anyways

sexualbanana
10-24-2007, 02:45 PM

Really? When I lived in LA, if you were dialing the same area code, you didn't have to dial the extra 3 digits

adidas
10-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by rage2
It'll be fine. I pretty much only use my cell phone, and all the numbers already have 10 digits for txt messaging purposes.

x2

DayGlow
10-24-2007, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by A790

Calgary will be getting a second area code (as was mentioned on the website). Since the same number could exist on another area code it only makes sense to have to dial it.

It's an extra three numbers- no big deal.

still, vast majority of people I know already have a 403 number, and my phone is 403 as well. I just think it should default to the originating area code unless otherwise entered.

Xtrema
10-24-2007, 04:01 PM
me for my cell. If my cell has a 403 number, then the default 7 digit area code would be the same.

By changing habits, they don't have to put in routing software.

I don't think we should call it area code anymore as we're not geographically bounded any more.

Just give everyone 10 digit numbers.

Annoyingrob
10-24-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

Normal 7 digit numbers will not work. If you try to dial a 7 digit number, you'll get an automated voice telling you to dial the full 10 digit number.

It's really not that big of a deal. I went through this changeover in Toronto like 7 years ago. It really is a non-issue.

hampstor
10-24-2007, 11:53 PM
You're going to get people who can't figure it out dial telus to try and ask what's going on.. and they're going to get mad at the automated phone system like the dell guy :rofl:

A790
10-24-2007, 11:57 PM

still, vast majority of people I know already have a 403 number, and my phone is 403 as well. I just think it should default to the originating area code unless otherwise entered.

Uhhh... well, I kind of see where you're coming from, but watch how fast that second area code populates. WHen 647 was introduced to the GTA it was uncommon at first... two months later it's every second number. The same thing will happen to Calgary.

msommers
10-25-2007, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Next thing you know, there will be a massive revolt and some bald-headed fat man will divide the city and kidnap "The Who".
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I'd go to that concert. "TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!"